Cellular Trail Cameras

Anyone had to deal with Spartan’s customer service? What about the cellular plans they offer?

God Bless,
David B.
I use the GoCams and get my service through ATT Buy a Session. My service costs me $75 and change per year per camera for basically unlimited pictures.

Does 2 antenna make that big of a difference? I also know that running lithium batteries saves a lot of hassle on these cams as well.

I can’t say it’s the two antennas but the SK seems to get very good reception. I activated it on Verizon which is best in my originally intended location but ended up leaving it in an area where Verizon does very poorly and AT&T does better. It has been running great at 3-5 bars and browning ridgelines nearby on AT&T are struggling to function.

I can’t say it’s the two antennas but the SK seems to get very good reception. I activated it on Verizon which is best in my originally intended location but ended up leaving it in an area where Verizon does very poorly and AT&T does better. It has been running great at 3-5 bars and browning ridgelines nearby on AT&T are struggling to function.
I may have to give them a shot.

I may have to give them a shot.

My short term review of the sk:
Pros: thumbnails transmitted are as good as any I’ve seen, seems to get great reception, low cost, night photos are good for a no glow flash.

Cons: app functionality and control options are the poorest of any cell cam I’ve used. Can’t get multishot bursts transmitted (like the other 3 brands I have do). Can only have scheduled uploads a max of 2 times/day. Doesn’t have AA battery backup like spypoint.

Twitch

WKR
My Spartans get better service in weak areas than my Tactacams Reveal X's do.
I have Verizon, and where my phone gets 1 bar, my Spartans with the paddle antenna get 5 bars, and my Tactacams get 2 or 3.

Photo quality delivered to your phone is WAY better with Spartan.
WIth the Tactacam Reveal X the images stored to the SD card are nice, but the compression to send them to your phone makes them horribly grainy when compared to other brands.

Last edited:
My Spartans get better service in weak areas than my Tactacams Reveal X's do.
I have Verizon, and where my phone gets 1 bar, my Spartans with the paddle antenna get 5 bars, and my Tactacams get 2 or 3.

Photo quality delivered to your phone is WAY better with Spartan.
WIth the Tactacam Reveal X the images stored to the SD card are nice, but the compression to send them to your phone makes them horribly grainy when compared to other brands.
Did you think the plans from Spartan are reasonable? The Spypoint plan I have now for unlimited isn’t bad at all.

I have really good luck with my Spypoints. With the solar panel on top, I never charge the battery until the end of season, and they get ok reception with the stock antenna.

I will say that aftermarket antennas have made a massive difference. I have two types: one that is the rigid short kind like the stock one, and one that is at the end of a long cable that I will attach high up in the tree for really bad cell reception places.

Twitch

WKR
Did you think the plans from Spartan are reasonable? The Spypoint plan I have now for unlimited isn’t bad at all.
I have unlimited data through Verizon.
I added each camera as a "Device" to my verizon plan. With taxes included, I pay $5.08 month each camera for unlimited phots and videos.

I have unlimited data through Verizon.
I added each camera as a "Device" to my verizon plan. With taxes included, I pay $5.08 month each camera for unlimited phots and videos.
Ok I need to do some more research then as I wasn’t aware you could do that. Thank you for that info!

Twitch

WKR
Ok I need to do some more research then as I wasn’t aware you could do that. Thank you for that info!
Yeah, the Spartan setup process makes it seem like you have to buy their plans, but you most definitely DO NOT have to.
*IF* you don't want to mess with them being added to your cell plan, then yes, you have to do a Spartan plan... but if you have an unlimited cell plan, there is absolutely NO REASON to buy a spartan plan.
You will need to still purchase Spartan "Premium Credits" in order to access and use the app to view photos and manage cameras, but the premium credits are only $3/mo per camera.

Yeah, the Spartan setup process makes it seem like you have to buy their plans, but you most definitely DO NOT have to.
*IF* you don't want to mess with them being added to your cell plan, then yes, you have to do a Spartan plan... but if you have an unlimited cell plan, there is absolutely NO REASON to buy a spartan plan.
You will need to still purchase Spartan "Premium Credits" in order to access and use the app to view photos and manage cameras, but the premium credits are only $3/mo per camera.
Thank you again. I believe the Verizon plan I have right now is unlimited now I just got to as for a few early Christmas gifts.

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
Spartans have very good quality photo video, battery life has averaged about 12 months. The no contract plan is basically 4000 pictures at $16 per month and tend to have better service than my iPhone does. I know that sounds weird but side by side they have had service when the phone did not.

Indian41

FNG
Tactacam"s work great for me.

Attachments

• 20211123_162046.jpg
    20211123_162046.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20211123-162006_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211123-162006_Gallery.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 41

Bland316

Lil-Rokslider
How do you get yours to send video?
Well you need a model that is capable to send video. The XB and SK can send video. You just set the camera up for video and when one comes in you can request it in the app.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mwh624

FNG
Spartan GoCam 4g lte on my verizon plan is extremely economical. Does everything I need to and the App is very user friendly. I'm running 4, all hooked up to external batteries and only need to tend to them once per year to charge the battery. Highly recommend

Indian41

FNG
I did a quick price check on the Spartan Gocam there right around $300.00. I was buying the tactacam reveal for $130.00. The quality might be better on the Spartan. Probably get what you pay for.