Cellular WiFi hotspot recommendation

cmahoney

WKR
I don’t know anything about this stuff. My wife is trying to find one of these mainly for family road trips. We use Verizon for our cell phones. We live in Northern Nevada and they seem to get decent service here. The Verizon hotspot has some shity reviews. Does anyone have experience with something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Just a hot spot that creates a WiFi network from a cellular signal

wyosteve

WKR
I have a Verizon Jetpack that I've used for quite a few years. It serves my needs.

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Verizon wireless hotspot at work on my job site. Works fine until you want to down load a large file but no problem emails and general internet use. And that is with 2 bars of service.

Get which ever one you want... it's not going to matter given the propagation of the 5G spectrum..you not going to get signal unless close to a tower/transmiiter...

Not sure why you'd want to pay for an extra device on your data plan just to have a stand alone device to hot spot. We used to do that, but looking back on it I cant remember why. We just hot spot our phones now if we want to connect something. We live outside of hardline Internet service, so we hotspot often.
We also run a WeBoost cell booster cause service isn't good at my place. They make them for vehicles.

The Jetpacks never seemed that fast. Maybe the new ones are better. Our phones were always faster.

OP
cmahoney

cmahoney

WKR
Not sure why you'd want to pay for an extra device on your data plan just to have a stand alone device to hot spot. We used to do that, but looking back on it I cant remember why. We just hot spot our phones now if we want to connect something. We live outside of hardline Internet service, so we hotspot often.
We also run a WeBoost cell booster cause service isn't good at my place. They make them for vehicles.

The Jetpacks never seemed that fast. Maybe the new ones are better. Our phones were always faster.

We aren’t paying for it, it’s for work.

Oh... so your work will provide you with internet service and your looking to shop around for a Verizon capable hot spot device other than the ones offered by Verizon.

I still just hot spot my work cell, but........

In that case, look at an unlocked Netgear M5, (usually an AT&T device?)

Lived in rural Arkansas for a while and operated solely off of a Verizon Jetpack. Speeds weren't always consistent, especially with multiple people connected at once. I would recommend it as long as you don't need to upload large files.

If you're moving around a lot and using for road trips, it may be a better idea to look into getting a weboost antenna for more consistent reception and just using your phone's hotspot.