Center Serving and D-Loop Question

I am wondering if anyone can help with this problem I am having. Anytime I want to remove/replace a D-Loop I find that the serving below has separated. It gets frustrating having to reserve every time I want to make an adjustment.

Am I tightening my D-Loop too much? I believe my serving is tight enough but am not sure what the problem is.

Thanks

4C6C3D96-0636-469B-B515-D680B5D66131.jpeg

wapitibob

WKR
If you have a quality string, served correctly, and good Small dia loop rope, tightened significantly, you will get minor separation under the loop knots over time. If you use larger loop rope with big knots like Dudley ties, you won’t get the separation. If for some reason I replace a loop, I’ll use a fork to push the serving together from the top end and re tie the loop.
There’s a happy medium for center servings, too loose they’ll move, too tight and the string can’t move and you’ll fight peep rotation. String angle plays into it as well, short axle bows have a tight string angle and to expect a serving to never move is a bit unrealistic. As for how tight on the loop, I broke the shops d loop pliers tightening my loop and from hand tight to finished tight, I’ll gain 3/8 from back of string to inside of loop when I’m done reefing on it. I use bcy #23 spectra.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR
I do exactly as your picture shows with tied in constrictor knot nocks. Those set in and will not move, the d loop ends up with slight serving separation regardless, but is irrelevant with the tied nocks.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I get the same thing. I don’t worry about it. As long as its under my knots and not where I nock my arrows I leave it. You can take a single wrap with d loop material and usually pull from each end and tighten it back up first.

OP
TCUHunter34
How often are you removing and replacing your d loop? Does it wear excessively?
It does not wear excessively, I just like to replace it occasionally. Especially right before the season is about to start.

ncavi8tor

WKR
I have replaced dloops over the top of minor serving separation after fixing it with my fingernail with no issues. However, when tied correctly a dloop will outlast the string in most cases. Once I have it in the correct position for tuning I do not replace the dloop on a hunting setup.

Also, I prestretch and wax the loop material prior to installation. Then I tighten the hell out of it with Easton dloop pliers.

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I have replaced dloops over the top of minor serving separation after fixing it with my fingernail with no issues. However, when tied correctly a dloop will outlast the string in most cases. Once I have it in the correct position for tuning I do not replace the dloop on a hunting setup.

Also, I prestretch and wax the loop material prior to installation. Then I tighten the hell out of it with Easton dloop pliers.

NC

How do you pre-stretch D loop material?

Ucsdryder

WKR
I don’t see the need to stretch a d loop. Never had one stretch. The knots, but not the string. I let a d loop go to fail a couple months ago. When the middle of the loop started to feel thin, it gave out after 15 more shots. You could rub it between your fingers and feel that it was about to go. I made sure to keep my fist away from my face. It let go at 3/4 draw.

Your serving should not separate. I’ve done a lot of reserves and d loop installations, and typically the culprit is over tightening after the ends are burned and the knot set.

If you’re serving correctly, you should be moving the string about 1/8-1/4 turn before the serving jig will feed the serving material through. That serving should have a decent sheen to it upon wrapping.

when you install the d loop, don’t burn the ends until you have used pliers to tighten BOTH ends of the knot. If done correctly, you will get maybe 1/8” worth of additional d loop length when you tighten it down by the traditional method of sticking pliers between the string and loop and spreading them apart. If you’ve done the work on tightening both ends, all that is needed is a good “snug” to“lock” that knot. Some folks reef on it and get lucky to not split serving. I’ve seen them tightened so tight that it actually cuts through the serving. You CAN overdo it, so do yourself the favor of just making sure the knot is tight enough not to come undone, but not too much more

Howard Mee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wanted to follow this conversation, because I have had the same issue. I replaced my d-loop this year. I also had serving string separation.
As long as the noc isn’t on bare a bare string, I don’t think there’s an issue. It shoots fine. No inconsistencies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
That looks like a crummy center serving.

I use Halo.....and I think the key is serving it tight but also locking it in.

So when starting at the top, I leave a long tail that I serve over then towards the bottom I pull the tail up, serve one diameter, then continue to to serve the rest of that tail. Hard to describe....

That one or two raised loops from the tail locks that serving and it doesn't separate.

____

ncavi8tor

WKR
How do you pre-stretch D loop material?
Cut a longer piece than needed and stretch it with pliers or hang it with a weight. Works with limb driven rest cords too before replacing. BCY #24 has a lot of stretch, but it is rock solid after it has been removed. It's my preference for dloop material. YMMV

NC

ZDR

WKR
How long should the D loop be?
My local shop tends to make them about .5 to .6 inches. I watched a Nock On video in which he recommended at least .75". He also recommends the upper and lower knots be oriented a particular way to minimize torque when using a thumb release.

How long should the D loop be?
My local shop tends to make them about .5 to .6 inches. I watched a Nock On video in which he recommended at least .75". He also recommends the upper and lower knots be oriented a particular way to minimize torque when using a thumb release.

it’s personal preference on length, but I’ve found that for handheld releases 3/4” is minimum for keeping torque on the string to negligible levels.

Will_m

WKR
What's so bad about a little separation of the serving, assuming your loop is sliding up or down on the string?