Center Serving?

MT257

WKR
How hard is it to do? I noticed I have a slight separation just below the bottom of my d loop and will be replacing that. Has anyone done it?

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Very easy if you have the right tools. I have the last chance archery serving jig for my press, makes it a breeze. I've done it before by hand but that takes some.serious patience and rough fingers.

Spend some time on YouTube, learning how to do it and practice in a scrape string. You can get away by doing it by nand if you have a small enough serving string jig and a large brace height you can do it on the bow, but it's better if you have the proper jig to do it.

Couple key points:
- the string needs to be under tension and a fair amt
-believe you follow the way the string twists, but I always have to look this up beforehand, so I may have this backward. Or I follow the manufactures original twisting
-get a good serving jig with a good tensioning system for the spool
-check the string Dia required for your nocks, measure your string, subtract this from what is required and divide it by two to get figure out what serving size you need.
-i've yet to get it done correctly refering to the string size req'd from any manufacture, incl custom. They don't seem to care, and yes it matters with shooting. Many will tell.yanit'll wear a groove, but that cause the serving to fail faster.

Now, ii f your not into everything bow and maintenance/repair, go to a shop and have them redo it. Usually costs 20-30 bucks

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

I’ve done it on and off the bow. It’s simple. Ideally you should take the string off and put it under 100# of tension while you serve it. But I’ve done it on the bow itself without an issue as well. Just make sure you have the proper serving size for nock fit.

OP
M

MT257

WKR
How does one determine the proper size serving vs. nock fit. Is there a chart?

tsm213

FNG
Get a serving jig. It’s very easy. Just watch a you tube video. I use x nocks or gto nocks. .21 is what works for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gumbo

WKR
Different nocks require different serving sizes and serving diameter isn't consistent between materials so you have to do some trial and error. I'd recommend BCY Powergrip or Halo at 0.018" as a good jumping off point. Just serve a little past where you stop wrapping over the serving tag end and see how the nock fit is. The nock needs to "click" on the string but spin freely around the string. You can also serve the tag end under the entire length of the center serving to increase the finished diameter slightly. Also be aware that if you serve under tension (I do 300 pounds) that it will be slightly larger in diameter when you relax the tension. You can do it on the bow without tensioning the string (if your jig fits) but significant separation will occur, but then again it occurs if you crank your D-loop down hard even on professionally built strings. The string AND serving jig tension you serve under also affects the finished serving diameter. The serving jig should be set as tight as possible without causing the string to rotate underneath it.

The youtube video below will show you serving direction, which is absolutely critical. It needs to match the direction of the string twists, which for almost all string makers is clockwise, except ABB which is counterclockwise. If you go the wrong direction the string will untwist and cause rotation issues.

So to do it "right" it requires some knowledge and tools. But you can get by with doing it on the bow (if the serving jig fits) provided you can deal with a little separation and get extended life out of your string. One last word of advice if you plan on doing it on the bow is to get the shortest serving jig you can find, but ideally you should remove the string from the bow and tension it to 200-300 pounds.

Considering most guys don’t know how to tie a d loop on, I wouldn’t say center serving is easy to get perfect. I would definitely practice on an old bow or something first. Nock on video is pretty good. Buy a quality jig and quality serving and practice first and you should be able to get it after some trial and error.

feanor

WKR
I’ve done it, but it’s not as good as manufactured strings. I took it to Scheels and they do it for free. So I’ll see how they do and go from there.

How hard is it to do? I noticed I have a slight separation just below the bottom of my d loop and will be replacing that. Has anyone done it?
super easy.... serving and a serving jig, and you can do a pro quality serving job.... learn the basics, and that's about all there is to it

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Yup I practiced on an old string then jumped right into it. It's quite simple.

aaen

Lil-Rokslider
Measure the current center dia then measure the serving mtl, set the jig tension to match finished dia.
I'd add that you set the tension to match the serving size required for the nock you use not what is currently on the string.

So, related question here…
What is the best way to put 200-300 lbs of tension on your string?

It’s not very scientific. Just a 2x6 board with a d loop screwed to one end and the wench from harbor freight screwed to the other. I run a loop of P cord on both sides. To either run through the loop and hold the bow grip, or in your case through the string loop. To get it off the board high enough, I lay 1lb propane bottles on their side (or whatever I have lying around) under the p cord. You can use a small scale in the chain somewhere if you want the weights exact.