Central Asia 2022

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
Alright guys, I had hunts rescheduled from last year and now have 2 hunts in central asia.

First up is Azerbaijan for Dagestan Tur and second is October for ibex in Tajikistan.

I have a .300wm MGA ultralight on standby but hoping my 6.5x284 will be ready by then, anyone thats been there have any reservations on taking a 6.5 over the 300?

Anyone else going after these two critters next year?

CLP

FNG
I’ve hunted Dagestan Tur just across the mountain in Russia and mid-Asian ibex in Kyrgyzstan and I shot both with a 6.5 PRC. I felt like it was plenty gun provided you hit them well. You’re guides will be yelling shoot even if you don’t have a good shot so take your time and you’ll be fine. Low recoil is also nice so you can spot your shots better. More often than not they won’t be able to clearly articulate what happened after the shot to you.

My last few hunts over there I used a 7mm rem mag and I think it’s the ideal balance between controllability and stopping power.

Good luck! Both trips will be one hell of an adventure.

idig4au

WKR
I personally a fan of the 300 calibers for Central Asia hunts. Most of the shooting is longer range and some of those animals are tough to bring down, so down range energy is something to consider.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
I took my 7 SAUM to Azerbiajan and I felt like it was perfect. You will have a blast hunting tur. The Caucus’ are STEEP but it was an awesome experience. I’ll be in Kazakhstan in 2022. This hunt has been postponed 2 years now so hopefully this one goes off without a hitch. I’ll be taking my 6.5PRC on that hunt.
Like was said above, the language barrier will be the hardest part to deal with. Don’t let the guides get you rattled when they’re hollering at you to shoot. Remember that it’s your hunt so you shoot if/when you’re ready.
If I was a rich guy, I’d hunt Asia every year. I’m sure you’ll have a blast!

Where do you guys go to learn about how to do those hunts and who do you go through? This would be a great trip but I know zilch about it.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
The most important thing to know is that all outfitters are using the same local outfits to do their hunts so no matter which American company you go thru, the guides and accommodations over there will be the same.
I’ve used Asian Mountain Outfitters for my hunts and Bryan has taken excellent care of me so far. No matter who you use, you are at the mercy of the local outfitter in the end. The main thing is, book it and go. Be flexible and don’t get too wound up if things don’t go exactly as planned. Things move at a different pace oversees. You’ll have a badass time if you just go and enjoy the experience.

Truaxdw

Lil-Rokslider
Where do you guys go to learn about how to do those hunts and who do you go through? This would be a great trip but I know zilch about it.
Good place to have your questions answered. We are going with Bryan Martin. Lots of info on here. Let me know if I can help, guys on here have help me.

OP
A

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
Ive heard great things about Bryan.

Going with Global Safari Azerbaijan for Tur, was recommended to me by Weatherby award candidate I met while hunting Brockett Deer in Mexico.

Going with Neal and Brownlee to Taj.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
Mirbala Manafov is THE MAN in Azerbaijan when it comes to tur hunting. He has all the connections, access to all the best areas, all the best guides etc. If your outfitter is using him as your local contact, you will be in good hands.
He told me he is well connected in Kyrgy as well so once you meet him on your tur hunt, he should be able to help set up mid Asian ibex and Hume argali in Kyrgy also.

OP
A

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
Heard great things about Mirbala too, would certainly consider him for Kyrgyz too

z987k

WKR
I'm curious, do you get to bring all the meat home on these or does it get left to locals, etc?

OP
A

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
I'm curious, do you get to bring all the meat home on these or does it get left to locals, etc?

Gets left to locals.

buzzy

WKR
Heading over there in 2022 with Global Safari Azerbaijan as well. Asif sounds like he has a solid reputation for these hunts but would love any feedback before giving a deposit. Have a few weeks to I see him at one is the shows to give a deposit.

OP
A

Aoudaddy

Lil-Rokslider
Heading over there in 2022 with Global Safari Azerbaijan as well. Asif sounds like he has a solid reputation for these hunts but would love any feedback before giving a deposit. Have a few weeks to I see him at one is the shows to give a deposit.
Pm me you info and I can give you a call.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
I have hunted Asia quite a bit and I am a prefer a .300 win for several reasons. First, Asian animals are tough, and for that reason I would rather use a 200 grain bullet vs something only 130 or 140 grain. Second, you will never find 6.5 prc, 7saum, or any other type of non-"standard" ammo if you arrive in Dushanbe, Baku or wherever else without yours (and that DOES happen).

I hunted with Asif in Azerbaijan (Global Safari) and I do like him as well as the local outfitter he uses in Azerbaijan. The only advice I would give when booking with Asif if to make sure he isn't hosting one of his rich Russian clients at the same time. If he is, he will have the outfitter give the best area and all of his best resources to that client.

hunter4life

Lil-Rokslider
I have done both of these hunts (Kazakhstan for the ibex). I used a 7mm magnum. Either gun would work, but I would go with the .300 WM. If for some reason your ammo doesn't arrive it would be hard to find 6.5-284, but finding the common calibers like 7mm, .300 WM is possible.

As said above by someone else. It doesn't matter which company you book through. Shikar, Safari Outfitters, Asian Mountain Outfitters, the Hunting Consortium, PRO, etc. all have the same local guides who you will actually be hunting with. I would recommend bringing an extra set of binoculars because their binoculars are often poor quality and they will be trying to use yours all the time.

bascott1

WKR
I’m headed to kyrg in sept for ibex. I’ll be taking a 270 wsm. Maybe my 300 if it gets done in time. I’m going through Neal and brownlee. Can’t wait to go. Other than the long ass flights.