Central Asia 2022

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hunted Tajik some years ago (maybe 8-9 years back). Your weapon choice is perfectly adequate as long as you can take long rock-stable shots usually uphill at sick angles. Just know your weapon. The oxygen dep does a number on your "normal" shooting cadence. Take a pack of Wriggly's chewing gum for the mint or spearmint. The Afghan guides we had swore by it. Said it helps them keep away dry mouth and also the nausea of 16,000 ft. They also swore they loved the bloodcakes made from the Marco my buddy shot the day before but they made me sicker than the altitude.

DuckDogDr

WKR
Not trying to be prejudiced and please don’t take true wrong way but are y’all not worried at all about being that close to Iran and other countries with radical islamists?

Second question I read the meat stays but what about the cape?

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Not trying to be prejudiced and please don’t take true wrong way but are y’all not worried at all about being that close to Iran and other countries with radical islamists?

Second question I read the meat stays but what about the cape?
Not worried in the least, and in two months I am going to northern Pakistan for blue sheep. I have hunted Turkey twice, Kyrgyzstan three times, Mongolia, Azerbaijan, etc, and never had a single issue that made me fearful.

The meat stays with the locals. The hides and horns are taken back as checked luggage or shipped through an import broker depending on species and country hunted.

feanor

WKR
Are all these countries you have hunted requiring you to hunt with a guide? You can’t strike out on your own in the mountains? I’m sure logistically it would be tough since it’s cast out there to go solo anyway.

alaska_bou

Lil-Rokslider
Are all these countries you have hunted requiring you to hunt with a guide? You can’t strike out on your own in the mountains? I’m sure logistically it would be tough since it’s cast out there to go solo anyway.
In Asia, always yes with a guide through an outfitter. With the permits required and the checkpoints in many of thse countries I don't think it would be possible to do so otherwise. If you are looking for an international DIY mountain hunt I would look at New Zealand. In New Zealand there are no required hunting licenses and no hunting seasons. Anyone, including foreigners, can import their own weapons and guide themselves or hire a helicopter to fly you into the mountains. Certain tahr blocks are limited but for the most part any public land is a free-for-all for any species you find. I have hunted NZ twice and the tahr/chamois hunt is a great experience.

feanor

WKR
Interesting to hear. Some of those countries sound like an adventure just getting there and that’s before you even hunt hahah. Thanks for the info

DuckDogDr

WKR
There’s a guy selling them Azerbaijan hunts for ducks and he make a it sound like something I want to do and then he broadcasts he was 10miles from the Iranian border …. I was like nope… not interested.

What’s the process of importing your firearm through krygystan or Azerbaijan? Route etc

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
That guy was either full of crap or you misunderstood where he was hunting. Dagestan tur live in the Caucus mountains on the border between Azerbaijan and Russia, not on the Iranian border.
The most dangerous part of any Asian hunt is the drive from the airport to the hunting areas and the hiking conditions. The locals drive crazy fast and there is livestock everywhere on the roads. The Caucus mountains are no joke. Not super high in elevation but very steep and treacherous.
The rifle import process was one of the most simple of any country I’ve ever hunted. Your outfitter will get you all of the necessary paperwork.

Hunted through Neal and Brownlee in kyrg for Ibex. I would error on the side of being over gunned. Also, I would not feel comfortable taking a gun that I don’t even have in my hands yet.

For those who have done the Tur Hunts, how did you carry your rifle while on horseback? Was it just slung across your back, did you take a scabbard, or some other way? Any other gear you’all would recommend. I‘m scheduled for Kuban and MId-Caucasian Tur in September and would really like some pointers from those who have gone. Also plan on taking my 6.5 PRC.

Cynoscion

Lil-Rokslider
You will be riding into the mountains, on horseback, with your rifle slung across your back. My ride in and out was about 4-5 hours each way. Your trigger guard and bolt knob will dig into your back and eventually be painful. I did it just like this and was ok. It wasn’t comfortable but it wasn’t unbearable.

I’ll be in Kyrgyzstan this year and will be taking a soft sided rifle case with a shoulder strap to alleviate this problem. I figure packing my rifle in my hard travel case and inside the soft case inside of it will give added protection and then double as a comfortable way to ride in with my rifle on my back.

If you want, send me a PM With your phone number and I’d be more than glad to text/call with any questions you may have.

idig4au

WKR
For those who have done the Tur Hunts, how did you carry your rifle while on horseback? Was it just slung across your back, did you take a scabbard, or some other way? Any other gear you’all would recommend. I‘m scheduled for Kuban and MId-Caucasian Tur in September and would really like some pointers from those who have gone. Also plan on taking my 6.5 PRC.
I’ve done both of those hunts. PM if you have specific questions

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have reliable pointers on hunting Georgia? On my list of places to visit for an extended trip, adding in a hunt would be icing on the cake.

Grisha

Lil-Rokslider
There’s a guy selling them Azerbaijan hunts for ducks and he make a it sound like something I want to do and then he broadcasts he was 10miles from the Iranian border …. I was like nope… not interested.

What’s the process of importing your firearm through krygystan or Azerbaijan? Route etc
Iran and Azerbaijan have a stable border. They are both Shiite, so you don't have the Islamist element you that you are probably worried about. Generally, Azerbaijan is very friendly to foreigners - hospitable and safe. They also have great food - really great. I can't think of any reason outside of normal precautions to worry about an Azerbaijan trip, unless there was a flair up with Armenia, which seems very unlikely -Russia has essentially stabilized that situation.

That said, I personally would be comfortable with hunting in Iran proper, I have very low anxiety about safety in that region compared to, say the middle east around Iraq, Syria (at this point) or much further east in Pakistan and Afghanistan.