Central California coast-Any members in the region?

P.J.

FNG
Although I am a mid westerner, I will be working in CenCal for a good while, and I am currently bored out of my skull on my time off. My family is back home, and I currently do not have a bow, flyrod, firearm or guitar with me, this has to change!

I am around Paso Robles right now, but that is subject to change. I am just needing some outdoor therapy of some sort.

I did go down to SLO today and looked at Central Coast Archery, so when I get home, take down my recurve, stuff it in my travel case, and bring it back here, I at least have a place to shoot to stay in shape, but I'm looking for a club or outdoor range to shoot my bow at.

Looking for some sort of fishing with one of my various and sorted fly rods. ( i assume seal fishing at Avila Beach is out of the question)

I have plenty of firearms, but i'm paranoid as heck to bring anything out here from home, as I live in America, and we can pretty much own any sort of firearm we wish. (This is sarcasm, in case your're sarcasm challenged, ;) I just dont want to get myself jammed up bringing a gun here that is legal everywhere else, but not here, or get jammed up for not transporting it properly. I'm not up on the cali game and firearms laws yet. I am not even sure what kind of knives i can and cannot pack on my person.

I do have good boots, binos, a good camera and a smallish, non load bearing backpack with me. I plan on exploring some of the local trails etc, but I need to get a heads up on the where to go, where not to go, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.J.

swehrman

Lil-Rokslider
Years ago I went to school at Cal Poly SLO. One of my favorite places to day hike was at Montana de Oro in Los Osos. Another idea would be to head north on highway 1 and check out Big Sur.

-- Scott

Dunndm

WKR
Although I am a mid westerner, I will be working in CenCal for a good while, and I am currently bored out of my skull on my time off. My family is back home, and I currently do not have a bow, flyrod, firearm or guitar with me, this has to change!

I am around Paso Robles right now, but that is subject to change. I am just needing some outdoor therapy of some sort.

I did go down to SLO today and looked at Central Coast Archery, so when I get home, take down my recurve, stuff it in my travel case, and bring it back here, I at least have a place to shoot to stay in shape, but I'm looking for a club or outdoor range to shoot my bow at.

Looking for some sort of fishing with one of my various and sorted fly rods. ( i assume seal fishing at Avila Beach is out of the question)

I have plenty of firearms, but i'm paranoid as heck to bring anything out here from home, as I live in America, and we can pretty much own any sort of firearm we wish. (This is sarcasm, in case your're sarcasm challenged, ;) I just dont want to get myself jammed up bringing a gun here that is legal everywhere else, but not here, or get jammed up for not transporting it properly. I'm not up on the cali game and firearms laws yet. I am not even sure what kind of knives i can and cannot pack on my person.

I do have good boots, binos, a good camera and a smallish, non load bearing backpack with me. I plan on exploring some of the local trails etc, but I need to get a heads up on the where to go, where not to go, etc.

Any help would be appreciated.

P.J.

I don’t rifle hunt much, or at all really... but if your somewhat close to MA1 zone that tag isn’t terribly hard to draw for Archery only. Maybe every other year. I hunt it as much as I can and there is some... I mean some. Deer in there. As for archery or fishing stores/clubs. The only one I know of that’s somewhat central is South Bay archery club. Beautiful coarse and fairly decent price to shoot it. They have open tournaments the last Sunday of every month(most months). For knifes, anything with a blade longer than 4” I think is illegal if it flips or is like a spring loaded. You’d have to check to be exact but I know that’s close or at least what I follow. Guns.... buy one here and leave it here is all I gotta say if you want to do it legally. Otherwise, you’ll be nervous everytime your drive with it. If you got any exact questions give me a message and I’ll do the best I can to help. Won’t give up any hunting spots but I’ll help in what I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

qwerksc

WKR
California has a lot more to offer than people think, don't judge on politicians or BS laws instated by the entitled sheeple. More than 85% of CA is "Rural" You will start to notice that more and more as you explore.
Check out the "RnA Outdoor Podcast" with Lucas Paugh, He gives tons of insight and info on the Ca systems and odds. Lucas is from Paso Robles. You are in pig hunting central in that area, it just takes some time to find a spot or meet someone who has a spot to share. There is a lifetime of fishing in the Sierra for ya, as well as, world class ocean fishing, North or South, from border to border.
I've been here my whole life and still have a big hit list of things to do.

Azone

WKR
How long you gonna be out here? I'm about a hour north of Paso.

Saltwater fishing can be epic outhere at times for rockfish, tuna and salmon.

There is still some pretty good deer hunting if you bust your ass (way too cliche a statement.....I know, I know)

Hogs use to be alot easier to come by before everyone that has a jeep with a high seat in the back became a "guide" and started charging WAY TOO MUCH for shooting one.

As far as gun laws if you were just bringing in a bolt gun I would not sweat it too much, just make sure you have copper bullets loaded in it while hunting. So whatever bazooka is sitting on the farm back east I would just leave there to avoid drama.

The Big Sur area has some cool spots to check out. Just be prepared to deal with some of the dumbest drivers on earth on Highway 1, it can get downright nuts out there at time.

Most of rural CA is a pretty down to earth bunch that can be quite friendly and loves a good bbq and shooting guns just as much as the rest of normal America does. The majority of us outhere or at least people I associate with, wish that L.A. and Frisco would just go away along with all their bull shit beliefs. Most of us cant stand the sanctuary city junk either, some places are just outta control from it. I'm just gonna get off this soap box now before I take it too far. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you would like to discuss any thing else in detail. I dont want the Google monsters to see too much.

Ype, you are in pig central. The good part is you can hunt them year round. Considering deer season is a ways away, going after pigs is a good way to learn a little bit about different areas. Unfortunately, the pigs tend to stick with private property. However, they can be found on public. The bad part is that most of the public land they can be found on is rather overgrown.

PJ, you should let us know how long you think you will be here, for a variety of reasons that may benefit you.

OP
P

P.J.

FNG
Ype, you are in pig central. The good part is you can hunt them year round. Considering deer season is a ways away, going after pigs is a good way to learn a little bit about different areas. Unfortunately, the pigs tend to stick with private property. However, they can be found on public. The bad part is that most of the public land they can be found on is rather overgrown.

PJ, you should let us know how long you think you will be here, for a variety of reasons that may benefit you.

I work in the powerline industry and I came out this way to spend the winter out here, rather than freezing my ass off in indiana, due to its bi-polar weather patterns, such as being 62 one day, then two days later being 20 and getting 10" of snow, shen the next week being 33 and getting and ice storm, then the next week, being -10, the older I get, the less of that BS im willing to tolerate.

There will be work out here for years, and I have really fell in love with the central coast. As you guys have said, the people around this part of the state, are just normal people, and for the most part, pretty laid back and cool. I love that I can be in the mountains, visit the sea or sand dunes all within a matter of minutes.

I'm not 100% certain how long I will be here on this stint, but I told a buddy of mine just the other day, its my goal to get to a point where I never work in the mid west again. lol-- in short, I can see me making this my home away from home. Next trip back east, I am buying a new camper so I always have a place to stay out here.

I hunt with Recurves and Longbows, and have since I was 9, I don't see that changing.

I have a Browning A bolt in 30-06 with a VXIII 4.5x14, that will work for anything I intend to hunt here.

I have a couple semi auto shotguns and wasn't sure of and problems bringing them into the state, but with the quail numbers Ive seen around here, I need to be hunting them, there's a lot of turkeys in the area as well.

I'm not asking for anybody to divulge their secret spots, i'm just wanting to know whats a viable/reasonable expectation as far as hunting and fishing. I have no issues putting in the time and effort to locate game.

Last edited:
OP
P

P.J.

FNG
We have a great archery range in my town. If ya make it up to Santa Cruz. Pm me.

I'm pretty sure Larry Yien shoots at that range. I would love to make it up there as all the pics ive seen from there it looks great.

P.J. shotgun is a 3 shot limit, so you may need to put a block or something in it to limit it to 3 shots.

Hunting with recurves and longbows is awesome, but it is very dry out here during deer season, and harvesting an animal with any type of bow can be very challenging. I strongly suggest that you start off with a rifle, learn a bit about an area and it's animals, and then switch to the bow.

For pigs, you may want to check out the BLM land around you and within a couple hours drive. Just make sure hunting is permitted on the BLM parcel. The BLM site will tell you what activities are permitted.