Central Idaho clothing

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
Im trying to cut some weight out of my pack. Never done an early season hunt like this. Do I need my Uncompahgre jacket for a September 15-23 elk hunt or should I leave it at home. I have a sawtooth jacket and I feel like I don’t need both for early season. Elevation we’ll be at is 5k-8k. I feel like packing it is just unnecessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ID_Matt

WKR
I would pack the uncompahgre every time. In my opinion, a puffy and a rain jacket should never leave your pack in Idaho. You might have a warm week but you might also be dealing with a foot of snow. Temps could be anywhere from 25-95.

I do not have a sawtooth as I don't run a soft shell, but I do appreciate my Uncompahgre during September Idaho elk hunts. I am at higher elevation than you (I start at 8k) but there are plenty of mornings and that time just before dark that I like the puffy. Also like the puffy for back in camp to stay warm before getting under my quilt.

Are you relying on the sawtooth as rain gear? If so than yes, the DWR will be better than no DWR on the Uncompahgre, but if you are bringing rain gear as well, I would lean to the puffy over the soft shell.

I would pack the uncompahgre every time. In my opinion, a puffy and a rain jacket should never leave your pack in Idaho. You might have a warm week but you might also be dealing with a foot of snow. Temps could be anywhere from 25-95.

Sounds like we were in agreement. And I will second, my uncle padre and rain jacket are always in my pack.

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have a sawtooth as I don't run a soft shell, but I do appreciate my Uncompahgre during September Idaho elk hunts. I am at higher elevation than you (I start at 8k) but there are plenty of mornings and that time just before dark that I like the puffy. Also like the puffy for back in camp to stay warm before getting under my quilt.

Are you relying on the sawtooth as rain gear? If so than yes, the DWR will be better than no DWR on the Uncompahgre, but if you are bringing rain gear as well, I would lean to the puffy over the soft shell.

I have some packable rain gear. The sawtooth would be my warmest outer layer if I were to leave the puffy behind. Scouting and talking with other people who’ve hunted this area it sounds like it’s a lot of dark timber still hunting, not too much time stationary on the glass like the cold weather hunts I’m used to. That’s the only reason I was thinking about leaving it behind. But maybe I’ll bring a hoody and the puffy instead of the sawtooth

OP
C

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider

Thanks. If it’s a warm week it sure does make a nice pillow!

crossone

FNG
Make sure you’re ready for anything in central Idaho mountains in September. I’ve seen it go from tee shirt weather to several inches of snow in a few hours. Layers of poly or wool with at least one nice warming jacket and another of top to bottom Rain gear.

For what its worth, and I am no expert, I never leave the truck without puffy, beanie and thin gloves. It is a survival thing for me.

Gerbdog

WKR
Even being further south ive always been thankful I packed in my puffy jacket for the early morning glassing and then back at camp after dark prepping some food before crashing out.

You can always guarantee getting snowed on or rained on chasing elk in September in central Idaho. Definitely keep your puffy and rain jacket in your pack. You won’t regret it

The Uncy is a very light insurance policy IMO. At a very minimum have it in the truck and take a look at the XX day forecast and make a game time decision.

sneaky

"DADDY"
You should always carry a way to filter water, a way to start a fire, and a puffy jacket.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Elkangle

WKR
"Remember that one time when it was sunny out and we didn't pack anything extra clothes and then a storm rolled in and it snowed a foot and Jimmy was hyperthermic?"

Everyone has an early season idaho story lol kinda sucks but pack for extreme versatility, esp at that elevation