Central oregon backpack trip need ideas

Wyattblu48

Lil-Rokslider
Hey all, my brother in law and another buddy and I are thinking about a 2 day backpacking trip for my “baby moon”, we’re gonna be going may 1st weekend, yes I know we’ll be staying below 4500’ for snow. Anyways I was wondering if anyone has done any trips on mount jefferson or alike that you’d like to share, I’m currently looking at the trail to Marion lake. We have the kifaru packs and all the gear needed, just looking for a good area for fellow hunters to enjoy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I don’t have any major experience with Oregon but a few years back I went on a trip to the kalmeopsis (spelled it wrong I’m sure) wilderness. That was a cool place.

The snow will be deep in the shade and still have 10’ on north faces and in big timber until late July. Weve done several trips 4 th of July weekend mt Jefferson and three sisters wilderness and the snow can be treacherous.

We used to backpack into crooked creek in WA and fish big Dolly's. The Wenaha River might be a great trip.

That might be a little early to get into Marion lake,it’s at a little over 4000 feet.

When you say central Oregon are you trying to find something around the Sisters/Redmond area?

elkliver

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Bend and am very familiar with possibilities. You aren't going to be doing Mnt Jefferson or three sisters wilderness that early. Too much snow. i could probably point you in a possible direction but it wouldn't be Mnt Jefferson

OP
Wyattblu48

Wyattblu48

Lil-Rokslider
I live in Bend and am very familiar with possibilities. You aren't going to be doing Mnt Jefferson or three sisters wilderness that early. Too much snow. i could probably point you in a possible direction but it wouldn't be Mnt Jefferson

Any advice is appreciated! We’re just trying to get out of the house, none of us drew spring bear tags and steelhead season was non existent. We live in banks oregon and want to stay within 4 hours of home

OP
Wyattblu48

Wyattblu48

Lil-Rokslider
That might be a little early to get into Marion lake,it’s at a little over 4000 feet.

When you say central Oregon are you trying to find something around the Sisters/Redmond area?

Anything around the cascades, we live in banks and want to stay within 4 hours

OR Archer

WKR
If you’re heading to the cascades at that time of year you better have a good supply of bug dope. Mosquitos can be fearsome that time of year up there.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Man, If I were you I'd be looking long and hard at the Eagle Cap Wilderness, over by La Grande. Haven't been myself, but planning on it this year.

Check out AllTrails

It’s a pretty good website with lots of trail info.

If I was in your shoes I would be looking for hikes on the east side of the cascades that early in the season. High desert sage and juniper type country 4000ft and lower probably

Even at the end of may it’s pretty tuff to get over 3000 ft on the west side of the cascades

Man, If I were you I'd be looking long and hard at the Eagle Cap Wilderness, over by La Grande. Haven't been myself, but planning on it this year.
Lots of that country is pretty iffy for hiking even in June due to snow. may 1st would be pretty early to go most places there. Also way more than the 4 hours of travel time line he wants to stick with

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of that country is pretty iffy for hiking even in June due to snow. may 1st would be pretty early to go most places there. Also way more than the 4 hours of travel time line he wants to stick with
"May 1st"

Man, I should learn to read one of these days. Definitely not gonna make it in May!

mlgc20

WKR
I would head a little further east from the Cascades that time of year. The trails in the Cascades will either be snow covered or still really muddy. The Ochocos would be a better bet IMO. The Mill Creek Wilderness is great fun. Steins Pillar is worth the hike. When I lived in Central Oregon we would just take off driving around Forest Service roads and see what we found for hiking. We ran into old mining towns, fire lookout towers, very few people, etc.