CF barrel options for weatherby vanguard

Purchased a Weatherby Vanguard MeatEater edition in 6.5 prc last year and absolutely love it. Shoots lights out, but after going to Texas recently I realized an important factor, barrel length. I am shooting it supressed, and personally don't ever want to shoot without it again mainly for sound reduction purposes amongst other reasons. I also never thought about barrel thickness and am not sure if I'm on the thin side or not for hanging a supressor off the end. The combo worked amazing on the hunt, but at 26" plus the 7.8" hybrid 46 can, we are talking about a flag pole that I could swat a goose out of the sky with.

So I'm curious to what my options are with this gun/action. I'd like to be around 22" for barrel length due to the cartridge at hand. Can I cut the barrel down and stick with the stock #2 contour, spiral fluted barrel that is on there? Not sure if that's an option due to the spiral fluting. Or go CF, and if so, where to start looking? I'm not currently worried about shaving a bunch of weight, but the length.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Love hunting suppressed. I take my long range rifle with 26" barrel and suppressor out... it is a long sucker, but still doesn't weigh like a pig.

You typically can't thread a fluted barrel. The cost to rebarrel your rifle is probably more than you should invest. You can order a Proof carbon fiber barrel blank and have a smith cut the chamber for you. My smith cuts a lot of proof CF barrels. Has done several for me. Barrels are about $750 and chambering around $400. I do like the CR for the weight to stiffness ratio. Suppressors can create issues sometimes with magnum calibers and thin barrels without stiffness.

I think you are better off looking at the Howa 1500 Carbon Stalker as a new gun because the cost just to thread the barrel will be more than the cost to buy the 1500. There is a 22" 6.5 PRC for less than $1000 bucks. If I recall, the Weatherby Vanguard is the same as a Howa 1500.

Keep the Weatherby you have or sell it to buy the Howa.