CH10 compact fluid head

OP

4th_point

WKR
One thing to note is that SmallRig states, "Do not use the head in sandy and dusty conditions, or there is a risk of damage."

atmat

WKR
The Wiser seemed really smooth to me when I tried it at a hunting show. Does yours have the "memory" or "bounce back" that some people have reported?
It does, but its really not bad. If you tighten the pan knob a bit, it goes away.

I also have the Slik 634, and the center column head pans when raised — so it’s really not a concern for me.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Just got mine. Initial impressions are really positive. Not even for the price. I can’t tell difference between va5…..besides being 1/3 the cost and 8oz lighter. Awesome.

Many thanks.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
I was deadset on a Wiser Precision or Outdoorsman but I just ordered one of these to try. Interested to see how it works out. Easy 8 oz to save over my Benro S2

OP

4th_point

WKR
I was deadset on a Wiser Precision or Outdoorsman but I just ordered one of these to try. Interested to see how it works out. Easy 8 oz to save over my Benro S2
Let us know what you think of it.

I still like mine. The allen key with magnetic storage is handy.

SmallRig also makes a mounting plate for my mirrorless camera, that fixes a problem on that particular model. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to get one.

I just got mine last week. First impressions in the yard are really promising. Seems to hold my 65mm spotter without any issues. As has been noted by others, panning is a little stiff but seems like it may loosen up with more use. Tahoe, if you can figure out a handle that would be cool. I like the one on my VA-5. So far I've just taken the rubber handle off. I'll be using it on an eight day deer hunt starting Thursday so I'll report back after that.

Tahoe1305

WKR
I just got mine last week. First impressions in the yard are really promising. Seems to hold my 65mm spotter without any issues. As has been noted by others, panning is a little stiff but seems like it may loosen up with more use. Tahoe, if you can figure out a handle that would be cool. I like the one on my VA-5. So far I've just taken the rubber handle off. I'll be using it on an eight day deer hunt starting Thursday so I'll report back after that.
99% sure you’d be able to cut the std aluminum handle just below the 45deg elbow. Then you should be able to slide over your va5 CF handle over the aluminum. May take just a tad of internal sanding on the CF to fit.

That’s my plan eventually. May need some more CF to make it fit. Estimated new weight would be 6.5oz (only saving 1oz….).

Tullis94

WKR
I've been using one for about 6 months. It is pretty decent, especially for the price. I have a 774 kowa and I feel that it is about the max. I haven't had any issues though.

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Just got it in the mail. So far, my initial impressions are great. It weighs half as much as my Benro S2. I have only put my binos on it outside the house to give it a whirl but I would say it’s very comparable to a Benro in terms of smoothness. I bent the angle of the handle with some heat to better suit my needs and chopped it down 3-4”. For the price, pretty dang good deal.

Going hunting this weekend and will report back with it after 4 days of use.

Attachments

• 67CD8F5C-0694-4F33-8F31-D59D9192C77C.jpeg
    67CD8F5C-0694-4F33-8F31-D59D9192C77C.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 54
  • B56056A8-5C15-415C-8039-CA6C07CB8D28.jpeg
    B56056A8-5C15-415C-8039-CA6C07CB8D28.jpeg
    317.6 KB · Views: 53
  • 0411D5E6-9804-4591-B78F-E42DB94CF926.jpeg
    0411D5E6-9804-4591-B78F-E42DB94CF926.jpeg
    330.5 KB · Views: 53

nobody

WKR
Just ordered this head up after seeing it here and watching some videos on it, anybody know if it comes with the 1/4-3/8” reducer? Or do I need to buy that separately?

Just ordered this head up after seeing it here and watching some videos on it, anybody know if it comes with the 1/4-3/8” reducer? Or do I need to buy that separately?
I have the Neweer version of this same head and it came with the reducer.

OP

4th_point

WKR
I noticed that SmallRig has the CH10 listed as "OFF SHELVES" now. Discontinued?

brushape

WKR
I bought this head after cameraland failed to tell me my va5 was back ordered and left me hanging for a hunt. It’s a great little compact head and will even hold my rifle horizontally by the front sling stud. Huge upgrade from my previous vortex tripod and head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine froze solid in Montana at about 10F. Could not pan whatsoever. Tilt function was able to get moving after forcing it up and down a bit.

Switched over to my trusty va5 and had zero issues the rest of the trip.

Smallrig works fine for general use, but I would not trust the outcome of a hunt on it.

dcopher

Lil-Rokslider
Mine froze solid in Montana at about 10F. Could not pan whatsoever. Tilt function was able to get moving after forcing it up and down a bit.

Smallrig works fine for general use, but I would not trust the outcome of a hunt on it.
That's weird, I used mine on a Montana hunt in 15F weather and it functioned fine. Interesting to know if that is the limit, maybe the extra 5 degrees is the freezing point of the grease inside the head. I use mine 99% of the time during archery season, so temps are not extreme for me.

That's weird, I used mine on a Montana hunt in 15F weather and it functioned fine. Interesting to know if that is the limit, maybe the extra 5 degrees is the freezing point of the grease inside the head. I use mine 99% of the time during archery season, so temps are not extreme for me.
Could also be a Chinese QC issue.

OP

4th_point

WKR

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

CCH

WKR
Based on this thread I picked one up last week. I have to say I'm impressed with it at home. Much smoother than my Benro S-2 and obviously lighter and more compact. I hadn't heard about a freezing issue, but do have some concerns about the warnings regarding "sand and dirt". Figured it was worth giving a shot before investing in the other options in this weight category -- Outdoorsman and Wisener. Going to try leaving out overnight, but we're only getting down in the 20s, so that may not prove much.