chains for snow, what do you use, especially 4runner or tacoma people

rino

FNG
If you have the clearance I'd go with VBar on the back. It's a lot of work to get chains to fit the front. For my truck specifically (2003) to be ready for chains I'll tub the firewall, bushwacker cutout fenders, I have a 3" suspension and 1" body lift. Next will be some wheel spacers to give a little extra clearance between UCA and tires (I have STT Pro so they have side lugs which reduce the clearance). Remember...UCA clearance varies during the up and down so you will need to jack it up to test. You will need to make some bumper clearance (stock bumper will get chewed up) Lastly I ordered an older version washer reservoir to relocate it to the engine bay (vs in front of wheel). Lots of work to do to get front ready for chains...

If you have the clearance I'd go with VBar on the back. It's a lot of work to get chains to fit the front. For my truck specifically (2003) to be ready for chains I'll tub the firewall, bushwacker cutout fenders, I have a 3" suspension and 1" body lift. Next will be some wheel spacers to give a little extra clearance between UCA and tires (I have STT Pro so they have side lugs which reduce the clearance). Remember...UCA clearance varies during the up and down so you will need to jack it up to test. You will need to make some bumper clearance (stock bumper will get chewed up) Lastly I ordered an older version washer reservoir to relocate it to the engine bay (vs in front of wheel). Lots of work to do to get front ready for chains...
Wow, that's rough. For my truck I drive on them and wrap them around the front tires, add rubber thingys, and voila! Front is chained up. I've never owned a truck where it was difficult to get the front done.

I didn't realize there were so many fitment issues. We used chains for the first time ever this year with stock Ram 2500 and 35x12.5 tires. It was a pain to get them tight enough but after that no problems, if they weren't tight I had some cross chain slapping the outside fender wall.

fmyth

WKR
Not many of these newer soccer-mom 4x4's they're building these days are made for chains.
Neither is the 2019 Ram 2500 Power Wagon or 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel I purchased this year. Can only run chains on the rear of the Power Wagon and can only run low clearance cables on the rear of the Rebel. I think this is ridiculous as these 2 trucks are marketed as the most off road capable trucks available.

Neither is the 2019 Ram 2500 Power Wagon or 2019 Ram 1500 Rebel I purchased this year. Can only run chains on the rear of the Power Wagon and can only run low clearance cables on the rear of the Rebel. I think this is ridiculous as these 2 trucks are marketed as the most off road capable trucks available.

Is the 2019 PW that much different than a 2016 regular 2500? I ran oversized chains on all 4 of mine for 4 days straight.

fmyth

WKR
Is the 2019 PW that much different than a 2016 regular 2500? I ran oversized chains on all 4 of mine for 4 days straight.
I have a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 and the 2019 Power Wagon has completely different front end suspension and lots of extra stuff up front for the auto disconnect front sway bar and the winch. The PW has different frame mounts and different track bars, etc. It shares very few front suspension/drivetrain parts with the non PW 2500's.

rino

FNG
Wow, that's rough. For my truck I drive on them and wrap them around the front tires, add rubber thingys, and voila! Front is chained up. I've never owned a truck where it was difficult to get the front done.
Some of us run bigger tires :)

I have a 2014 Ram 2500 4x4 and the 2019 Power Wagon has completely different front end suspension and lots of extra stuff up front for the auto disconnect front sway bar and the winch. The PW has different frame mounts and different track bars, etc. It shares very few front suspension/drivetrain parts with the non PW 2500's.

Wow, good to know and thanks for the heads up. I guess I'll cross PW's off any future lists.

I'd go with real chains. I'd snoop the Web and see of issues for your application. I've been with numerous late model full size truck owner's when we ripped abs sensor off.

OP
R

rockwind1

Lil-Rokslider
deserty portion of western portion of 'Merica
i have a 2016, so you are saying that it gets less clearance with the uca as the wheel goes down? i was looking at mine and it seems very clean in the wheel well, plenty of clearance there, just worried about uca

I had a guy at work show me these I don't know if they would work for you or not, but another choice.

Squamch

WKR
I've seen ratchet straps used as chains in a pinch.

I carry vbars for the rear of my 92 runner, and regular chains for the front.

Also have a set of 4 chains off a highway's truck that will fit the 36" TSLs I had on my old toyota. Dual lockers and chained up 36s will get you all the way into trouble.

I went out last winter with a buddy who has a 3.4 swapped Toyota on 33" bfg muds. The new ones that look like krawlers. He brought cable chains, which slipped into the voids between his lugs and effectively reduced his total traction. It was funny seeing him whaling on his truck, going nowhere, and me with my worn out 4cylinder chugging along.