Chainsaw for the truck

Sled...thanks for the reply. I have only used Stihl bar oil...a gallon of it in an orange jug purchased many years ago. Pretty thick stuff but sure leaks out of my two little Stihls.

Catahoula

WKR
Sled...thanks for the reply. I have only used Stihl bar oil...a gallon of it in an orange jug purchased many years ago. Pretty thick stuff but sure leaks out of my two little Stihls.
I have a Stihl MS250 that weeps more bar oil then I think it should as well.... gonna have to look into this.

I have a tool box that goes in my truck for hunting seasons with all my off-road/vehicle needs. It has a hitch mounted winch, tire chains, tow straps, a chainsaw and some other things.

I bought blocks of foam that I cut to fit around the saw in the tool box and in the blocks I made spots that holds bar oil and 2 cans of true fuel pre mixed 50-1. With a full saw and 64oz of fuel I can get myself out of a pretty big jam.

My camp is 15 miles off the maintained dirt road and another 20 miles form the nearest town so I would have a long walk.

I own a Milwaukee chainsaw and wouldn’t trust it for that use. It’s ok for rough construction and a little yard work but if it’s small enough for me to cut with that saw I can probably just move it with the truck or the winch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cjdewese

WKR
I used a dewalt battery operated saw this past weekend and I must say I came away insanely impressed. SO light compared to anything comparable in Gas and lasted surprisingly long with just 1 battery.

So impressed, I want to own at least 1 battery saw for all my limbing and working with anything less than 12". We fell 5 trees with the largest being about 12-14 inches in diameter and it worked awesome. By far the best limbing saw I have used and it's insanely quiet.

Sled

WKR
Verify if it's coming from the oiler or the cap. The o-ring commonly fails on the caps from getting crud on it when reinstalled. If it stops leaking when you put the PTO side/bar side down then it's likely the cap.

ridgefire

WKR
We bought a Dewalt saw for elk camp and it works awesome. I was able to cut enough firewood for the duration of the hunt with one battery. We were there for 10 days or so and burning wood in the morning and evening in the wall te stove.

cnelk

WKR
My Stihl 251MS is always in my truck.

For occasions just like this I encountered this weekend up in the mtns.
Between the saw and a good tow rope, the road was clear

B8F8575B-F8EE-4AB8-BB40-B0D622BB690C.jpeg30BFB491-9447-48EC-AA1E-CF4111AE963D.jpeg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Silky Katanaboy 650. Yes it's a hand saw, but it takes up zero room and is always in the van. I can go thru a 16" fir faster then I could pull out my Husky, prime it and get it started if it's been sitting for a year.

I'll still take my gas saw if I'm going to be the first person in an area, or if there's alot of pine beetle kill in the area. But as a backup saw its pretty hard to beat. I've been planning on buying an electric for a few years, but just haven't been able to justify the cost. The Katanaboy was an easy compromise, plus it comes camping if we are based from the boat or close to the van.

this is what I carry in my truck as well; for a hand saw this thing really cuts- fits easily behind the seat of rear seat in my Tacoma

no fuel, no oil, no maintenance

this is what I carry in my truck as well; for a hand saw this thing really cuts- fits easily behind the seat of rear seat in my Tacoma

no fuel, no oil, no maintenance

You don't sharpen it?

I never met a cutting device that doesn't need touchups.

A hand saw is really a great tool, assuming one knows how to use it. I know guys that can work a job site nearly as fast with hand saws as powered saws.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't use it enough to need frequent sharpening and you'd have to be Japanese blade master to sharpen these blades :D

if I every ruined a blade, you can purchase replacements

Foxsoup

FNG
The battery powdered dewalt has really caught my attention lately, couple of guys have got them and like em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SPC

FNG
I bring my Still 066 with 28" bar and an extra chain. It'll horse its way through anything. I have a can that carries 2 gallons of gas and bar oil. I keep a bar tool with me as well.

16" greenworks. Just looked on amazon and theyve about doubled in price, but that little shit cuts and cuts. No complaints from me at all. Granted im in the pnw and all this stuff is soft anyhow. Buddy who was a logger laughs his ass off, but cut up trees is all i care about.
Ymmv

I hear you on the Dewalt. I have the 16" bar, and that thing zips through trees pretty fast. Good battery life as well. Only complaint is some (my first one) did leak bar oil, but it was replaced.

If you need a saw to clear a road, go gas.
I kept a Jonsered 630 with a 20” Total hard tip and full chisel chain on my bear rig. Saved my ass in ME in ‘02 or ‘03 when a wind storm put trees down over the logging roads and I was 30 miles in. Two days of cutting and winching to get back to a paved road.

Also kept me from needing to backtrack more times than I can remember.