Chainsaw for the truck

Silky Katanaboy 650. Yes it's a hand saw, but it takes up zero room and is always in the van. I can go thru a 16" fir faster then I could pull out my Husky, prime it and get it started if it's been sitting for a year.

I'll still take my gas saw if I'm going to be the first person in an area, or if there's alot of pine beetle kill in the area. But as a backup saw its pretty hard to beat. I've been planning on buying an electric for a few years, but just haven't been able to justify the cost. The Katanaboy was an easy compromise, plus it comes camping if we are based from the boat or close to the van.

I have a Husky 455 Rancher saw for making firewood,

For the unexpected road clearing drill. I keep a Silky Katanaboy 500 behind the seat, along with a Fiskars axe, and a log chain in back of the truck.

The big Silky 500 is no joke, and the 650 is even more of a good thing.

Testing the Silky Katanaboy 500 on roughly a 12" log, it sailed right through.

8JOTquF.jpg

I respect all the choices here. They all work and there is a lot to be said about being prepared in some way.

I`m to old and fat to have faith in a hand saw to get me home.

Sled

WKR
I`m to old and fat to have faith in a hand saw to get me home.

Where there's a will there's a way. That hand saw will get you home when the engines are out of gas and battery. Just don't break the blade or you'll be walking and wishing for that gas saw again.

I like a Stihl 028 av super wood boss for the truck. Just keeps ripping. Always ready. I carry a 2.5g mixed and 1g of oil at all timed.
I have a 360 as well and it makes 5-7 cords firewood every year. Also Mitigation of our neighborhood, which is extensive.
I have heard enough to try a battery saw out for limbing.
Very intrigued by the silky. Appreciate the testimony

Last edited:
I like a Stihl 028 av super wood boss for the truck. Just keeps ripping. Always ready. I carry a 2.5g mixed and 1g of oil at all timed.
I have a 360 as well and it makes 5-7 cords firewood every year. Also Mitigation of our neighborhood, which is extensive.
I have heard enough to try a battery saw out for limbing.
Very intrigued by the silky. Appreciate the testimony
Best saw I ever owned was an 028 AV Super. Still have it. Still runs/cuts like a champ.

I have the milwaukee M18 chainsaw and I really like it! The only thing I need it for when I’m hunting is in case a tree falls across a road or trail blocking my access. I’m not a cut firewood at camp kind of guy. I’m only at camp to sleep then I’m hunting the rest of the time. I hunt/base camp out of an SUV so not having a gas can inside my car is nice. And I have 2 of the BIG 12 AH batteries, and a power inverter to charge the batteries from the vehicle.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
So does ever Stihl MS170 and MS180 always leak bar oil? Every spring I’ve got to clean all the bar oil I put in the previous time I used the saw out of the saw case. Normal? Or is there some maintenance or component I’m missing off my two saws that would keep all the bar oil from leaking out after using the saw? The saw rides around in the SxS, quad or truck quite a bit or sits in the workshop. Seems to leak out wherever over a period of time. Thanks!
EVERY Stihl chainsaw leaks. It's an ingenious system to keep all the lines clear and dispatch old oil at the exact rate in which it deteriorates so that a more effective lubricant can be added.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I'm far more concerned if my saw doesn't leak oil than when it does

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MortJ

FNG
I have a gas stihl but my hunting partner runs a makita electric and its slick as hell. No fluid to worry about on long rough hauls. When my gas saw dies ill be going electric.

MortJ

FNG
I have a gas stihl but my hunting partner runs a makita electric and its slick as hell. No fluid to worry about on long rough hauls. When my gas saw dies ill be going electric.
And yes my stihl leaks haha

Mosby

WKR
I have a old Stihl 310 in a case that I take on most hunting trips. Average saw but big enough to get through most blow downs. I also keep a pack saw in a scabbard in my truck at all times that I got at an outfitter supply store:

Attachments

• 1628006000145.png
    1628006000145.png
    110.9 KB · Views: 27

KRATOCT

FNG
I’m a big fan of the arborists saws such as the Echo CS-355T or the Husqvarna T435. Very well made, Very light and super compact.
I don’t have experience with the full size Milwaukee M18 chainsaw, only the extension chainsaw, but I see this as a quieter option for minimal to moderate cutting that would eliminate the exhaust smell.
The bar on the pole chainsaw is flimsy. Bends easily. Much more easily than the Stihl equivalent. I would hope the larger saw is a big beefier.

Randle

WKR
ok now am thinking a silky 650 is going to be added to my truck.
Thanks for spending my money

WRM

WKR
I've got chainsaws out the wazoo but never carry one in truck for hunting (granted I'm probably not as likely as some to run into downed trees, but it does happen). Another Silky fan. No more than I need a saw while hunting, it's always gassed and ready to go.