Challis idaho

Lowe43

FNG
I am retiring from the Army this Aug and we are Headed to challis this Oct 15 and being as it's our first trip mule deer hunting I'd like to see if anyone has any imput on the area we looked at the campground at masquitoflats and we may camp there. Any imput would be appreciated tips too "fist time mule deer hunting and all"

I am retiring from the Army this Aug and we are Headed to challis this Oct 15 and being as it's our first trip mule deer hunting I'd like to see if anyone has any imput on the area we looked at the campground at masquitoflats and we may camp there. Any imput would be appreciated tips too "fist time mule deer hunting and all"

I don't know much about Challis but you will be hunting Idaho so no matter where you go get away from the roads and you will see nice bucks! Have fun! Most importantly Thank You for your dedication and service to our County! Good luck on your upcoming hunting season!

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
Thanks so much as long as north Korea doesn't decide to be idiots I should leave as a battalion first Sgt with 20 years of service I have been to Iraq 10 times and Afghanistan 3 time I'm ready to be home

Nomad

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks so much as long as north Korea doesn't decide to be idiots I should leave as a battalion first Sgt with 20 years of service I have been to Iraq 10 times and Afghanistan 3 time I'm ready to be home

Much respect and gratitude.

gudspelr

Lil-Rokslider
Yup-you've more than earned it. And welcome to Idaho, you're going to love it. I don't live in Challis, but have been through there a few times. It's absolutely beautiful, you should have a ton of good opportunity all around you. I imagine once you get there and start to get to know some of your neighbors, you'll quickly start figuring out places to go.

Jeremy

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider

Appreciate your service.

I bow hunt elk in 36a so just a little outside of challis, but all that area offers really good habitat for quality mule deer. You picked a good place to start.

David Long's Public Land Mulies, Robby Denning's Hunting Big Mule Deer, and Mike Eastman's High Country Mule Deer books are all good reads from some very successful hunters on techniques and strategies on hunting mule deer.

Lurk through some of the threads on the forum as there are some excellent hunters have put some good information out as well.. you are on the right track.

Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
Thanks you so much I'll check those books out as far as the elk go how are they in the area we are getting both tags incase we plan on being there from the 14th October through 28th

OG DramaLlama

Epic Rokslider
Thanks you so much I'll check those books out as far as the elk go how are they in the area we are getting both tags incase we plan on being there from the 14th October through 28th

Never had the opportunity to draw the restricted rifle tag for 36a so no experience with the Elk in area in October. All my scouting and hunting effort has been on early season elk.

For reference, last year snow came early September and by the end of the month most of the higher elevations were covered and the cows/calves were already moving down. My guess is the issue with the later post rut rifle hunts is that the big numbers of elk will will be congregated in the lower elevations which can be tricky with private land. Most of those big bulls will probably be up in their post rut hidey holes.

My two cents.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wolves have been rough on the mulies there but they seem to be rebounding.

Don't forget to buy your wolf tag. I sailed an arrow high last year. Most aggravating missed shot ever.

Boomer

FNG
I get out every couple years and hunt up river near Sunbeam. Seem to see more deer just up off the Salmon then back in towards the Frank. Last time out I got up into a gnarly,steep,rocky ridge that had a bunch of bucks hanging out. About 1 drainage over from where all the 4 wheelers rode. Had a local tell me to get above the goats ! Road hunt the Custer motorway for a break once in awhile but hardly see a track back in far or up near Loon Creek summit where years ago was a good spot for locals.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I've hunted around that area with fairly good success. The one thing that I can say that would be the most helpful about the Frank church is to not get attached to an area because it "looks good" . The deer are wherever you find them. There seems to be big hollow pockets of country where there just aren't many deer. Then almost inexplicably there will be similar looking areas with critters everywhere.

Scoony

Lil-Rokslider
Hope all went smooth with your retirement. I retired back in 2005. We will also be in the Challis area mid October for Mule deer and Elk. We hunted the Sawtooths last year near Stanley and was able to get one elk between 4 of us. That was out first year and lots of lessons learned, but felt we were successful with just one animal. We already have some areas picked out near Challis and further North near Salmon.

IdahoElk

WKR
The Clayton area always has deer all over the road when driving through,that may be an area to explore?

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
We hunted Clayton no luck saw only a few does and a couple of buck but on private property same as far as the elk man that country was brutal lol but beautiful

sneaky

"DADDY"
We hunted Clayton no luck saw only a few does and a couple of buck but on private property same as far as the elk man that country was brutal lol but beautiful
Yep, gorgeous country but unforgiving

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
L

Lowe43

FNG
Going back next year I think now knowing the land I'll have a better chance