Chamber Sealer Questions

WyoElk

WKR
Hey guys, just had a few questions about chamber sealers. Ive been using a borrowed Vacmaster VP210, its amazing.

Is there a huge advantage to the VP215 over the VP210? Looks like the 215 uses oil and the 210 is a maintenance free pump. I gather that the 215 is slightly more powerful. Is it a pain to change the oil and how often are you guys doing it?

Anyone using their chamber sealers for canning? It would sure be nice to can quarts of pasta sauce or such. I haven't found much information on weather this is safe or not. I sealed a couple jars of water as a test the other night and the seals seemed tight.

Any reason I should consider a Weston pro 2500? It would save about $100 but I want to buy once cry once and I'm leaning against them. Seems like the Vacmaster VP215 is pretty much the gold standard.

Im getting ready to order one and just looking for a few clarifications. Thanks!

I have the vp215. The difference between this and the vp210 is in how much you seal at one time. The vp210 is for small batches at a time. The vp215 is a more commercial version, it can handle constant use.
As for changing oil, there is a window on the pump. You change the oil when it is dirty. It depends on what you are sealing as to how soon it has to be done. The wetter the stuff the sooner you need to change.
Using it to can? Don’t do it. Vacuuming jars removes the oxygen not bacteria.You can seal dry stuff in jars to keep it from going stale or to keep moisture out. i.e. freeze dried foods, chips, grains and cereals. Canning in a pressure cooker kills the bacteria.
I love the vp215 it sits in my kitchen I use it a lot. Leftovers, marinating, portioning bulk foods and resealing cheese. Bags are cheap compared to the external vacuum bags. I think I have already paid for mine in the savings. VacMaster has sales periodically I was able to get mine at 40% off a few years back. Get on their e-mail list.
Can not comment on the Weston never used one.

OP
W

WyoElk

WKR
Thanks Elkslayer, that’s exactly the information I was after. Looks like the 215 is in my near future. Thanks again!

We have almost completely quit canning and now use our vacmaster 215 to seal and freeze our sauces in bags. As long as it you can keep it from running out it can seal it. I also freeze meals in the bags and take on hunting trips where I know the temperature is going to be cool. Just drop the bag in a pot of water to heat up and then you can eat right out of the bag.