Chamber vs traditional vacuum sealer

Krieg Hetzen

Lil-Rokslider
We use a LEM 500 vacuum sealer for everything at my place. We wrap everything in freezer paper, then cut the bags to fit and go. So far it’s done 3 moose, 80 chickens and north of 200 red salmon from dipnetting. Our friends have a chamber sealer and the our machine seals faster and better than theirs does. It also vastly outperforms the gamesaver my in-laws have. For reference this year we had two moose for a total process meat weight of approximately 900lbs total (400lbs burger, rest steaks and roasts). The LEM 500 went for 14 hours straight sealing and vacuuming and didn’t need to stop except for human needs. The fact you can run up to 14” bags is awesome cause it can do a variety, we normally buy the 11” wide x 50ft long rolls. 4 rolls will do a whole moose including the bones with some leftover.

I have used the “rinella” method of plastic wrap and then butcher paper the last two years on meat. Seems to work just as well if you are careful. I pulled out a couple of sets of shanks the other day that were from 2017 and they looked fine, no freezer burn. I still use my food saver from time to time but not often.

WKR
Used a food saver for the last time in 2018. Had some freezer burned meat that was only 6 months old with it. Now using an LEM this year. Just did an antelope and liking what I am seeing. Will know more in a year after an elk and few deer get done yet this fall.

For those of you using sealers... is it faster than wrapping in freezer paper?
Absolutely no and I have a chamber vac. The two part method of plastic wrap and coated freezer paper done right is as good as anything.
With that said. Precut bags and a chamber vac is so easy.

Phone Guy

FNG
I have a VP215 chamber vac and a couple food savers. No machine can outperform a chamber vac. They may seal faster but there is a reason the commercial folks use chamber vacs.

Chamber vacs are the way to go. Use to put up a lot of fish with a foodsaver. On average a large salmon fillet would last 3 to 6 months before freezer burn spots showed up. No matter how hard I would try it is hard to get every bit of air out of a bag with an external vacuum sealer and wet meat. Any air left would cause freezer burn. A vendor showed me a easy test on how well a vacuum sealer works .
You vacuum seal a wet sponge then squeeze the sealed sponge. You would be surprised on how much air comes out when using a foodsaver. You get none with a chamber vacuum. Air equals freezer burn. As a bonus the bags for a chamber vacuum are 1/4 the cost of the foodsaver bags and thicker too boot. I know chamber vacs are high priced but if you are putting up lots of meat it pays for itself in bag costs. And you he meat lasts longer. Mine is left on the counter in the kitchen and is used almost daily.
Every now and then they have a huge sale. I Was lucky and got mine when they had a 40 percent off sale.

Pgohil

WKR
I've been considering a chamber vac for some time now. The one thing holding me back is the limited bag size. With my regular vacuum sealer, I can do an entire deer shoulder bone in or fish whole.

My understanding is that with a chamber vac you are very limited on bag size. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

tdot

WKR
I've been considering a chamber vac for some time now. The one thing holding me back is the limited bag size. With my regular vacuum sealer, I can do an entire deer shoulder bone in or fish whole.

My understanding is that with a chamber vac you are very limited on bag size. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You're mainly limited by the size of the chamber. Then by the size of bags you have.

Ratspit

FNG
I've had a Minipack chamber style machine for 10 years. One of the best things I ever bought. After the first year you forget how much you spent on it.