Changes In WDFW Regs

DZurf14

FNG
Does anyone on here have a more educated opinion or inside scoop on the changes to WDFW changes over the last 5 years or so?

For example, hunting the 340 GMU for elk has always been hit or miss depending on if snow comes in time to force the rest of the herds out of Bethel or Rimrock. That being said, regardless of the herd local herd size it seems like WDFW is constantly decreasing tag quantity which further decreases odds and increases point creep.

I am all for changing tag quantity and adjusting to herd density or winter die off but it seems like a lot of our changes are not in line with biologist recommendations or my observations.

I am not a biologist by trade but prior to and during season I have consistently seen the two local herds in the valley I hunt grow from 30-80ish head (sometimes up to over 100 head depending on when a younger bull splits some cows off) hunt since 2016 or so. It’s mostly herd and satellite bulls so we can’t hunt them very effectively during rifle season (we are stuck with spike only in eastern Wa without a draw tag).

Has anyone in Washington, Oregon, or Idaho had a similar experience with their local GMU/hunting spot over the last five years to a decade? What’s causing this shift to decrease quantity of cow/bull tags even with improving herd recruitment? Why limit hunting of the mature bulls and kill off the up and coming spike population?