Changes to Zeiss warranty and repair policy??

Paulcobb

Lil-Rokslider
I purchased a pair of new Zeiss conquest HD 10x42’s a few years ago and have taken excellent care of them. After a recent hunt I noticed that the objective ring was slightly bent on one side. I have never dropped or abused the binos and have no idea how the ring could have become bent.

After sending the bino’s in to Zeiss for repair/warranty this week I was very surprised with this response from their repair department..

$450 for replacing the small bent aluminum objective ring.

In large print on the front of my bino box Zeiss boast having a “no fault policy”. “if it breaks we’ll fix it.”

Am I missing something or did they recently change their customer service repairs and warranty policy?

Attachments

• 94B786D2-00DB-45C2-BAA4-5805254E4F6D.jpeg
    94B786D2-00DB-45C2-BAA4-5805254E4F6D.jpeg
    369 KB · Views: 85
  • 08842A00-DB7D-4E05-ADD1-AA4118116C74.jpeg
    08842A00-DB7D-4E05-ADD1-AA4118116C74.jpeg
    202.2 KB · Views: 85

Usmcff

WKR
Interested in how this turns out, I’m currently on the fence between zeiss or Swarovski and probably will base my purchase on how well either company backs up their product.

OP
Paulcobb

Paulcobb

Lil-Rokslider
Interested in how this turns out, I’m currently on the fence between zeiss or Swarovski and probably will base my purchase on how well either company backs up their product.
Ill let you know tomorrow after I call them back... but i’m not very optimistic. If i had known this would be their policy on a minor repair like this I would have spent the extra $$ on swaros!

Usmcff

WKR
Awesome thank you. I’m torn between getting the slc’s or the conquests. I’ve looked through the slc’s and my god did they look good but have yet to find a dealer with a pair of zeiss but I’ve recently heard that zeiss warranty has been subject lately so I’m a little hesitant.

nmiller08

Lil-Rokslider
I believe the No Fault was five years from purchase, but only to the original owner and for it to be in effect you had to register them with Zeiss within 30 or 60 days of purchase, can’t remember which (clearly to keep people from claiming the policy for second hand binos). If you still have the receipt or an email or something from your original order, maybe they’ll give it to you even if you didn’t register them? Dunno, let us know how it pans out.

Elk2008

Lil-Rokslider
Let us know how it goes, especially since they weren’t dropped! Weird how it is bent like that. Hope they take care of you.

I have 3 pair of zeiss conquest HDs, 8,10's and 15's. They are all great and you cant beat them for the money. My original pair of 8's were 20 years old and broke last year. They gave me original msrp on a trade in since they didnt make that particular model anymore. My 10x42s have they exact quality, i mean i can see zero difference in any condition as my swarovski el range 10x42s. I've spent ALOT of time so far this year glassing and for the money i would buy the zeiss HD's. You can also get them from eurooptic as demo units once in awhile, dirt cheap.

Hope they fix you up! I sent a brand new scope back because a turret was seized from new. About 6 months later I had heard nothing so I emailed them. They told me they had to send it to germany. 3 months later I received a new scope back. I love my zeiss products but my only warranty issue didnt leave me warm n fuzzy about their warranty. If I was a one gun/one scope guy I would have been screwed!

mcr-85

WKR
They've been good to me. They sent me brand new eye cups for my 10x42 SFs with just an email in to them explaining my eyecup problems. Easy fix but great customer service.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
OP - thanks for the post and please let us know how they respond. Now you have me curious and I’m going to check my binos box, and see if I registered mine...

Usmcff

WKR
I have 3 pair of zeiss conquest HDs, 8,10's and 15's. They are all great and you cant beat them for the money. My original pair of 8's were 20 years old and broke last year. They gave me original msrp on a trade in since they didnt make that particular model anymore. My 10x42s have they exact quality, i mean i can see zero difference in any condition as my swarovski el range 10x42s. I've spent ALOT of time so far this year glassing and for the money i would buy the zeiss HD's. You can also get them from eurooptic as demo units once in awhile, dirt cheap.
Took your advice and saw a set of the conquest HD’s here in the forums for half price of new and picked them up in 10x42. Going to test them out and see how I like them and if not i should be able to make my money back, contacted zeiss and they said they were produced in 2017 based on serial number. Judging from the photos the owner sent me, glass looks perfect all around and one flaw was a split in the eye cup which I’ve actually noticed as sort of a recurring thing on them looking through the forums.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
FWIW, I did look at my binos and called Zeiss.

The Zeiss CS guy said on the phone that there are two warranties. One is for the life of the product - and presumably is a "normal" warranty against defects, etc. (He didn't provide much info, other than to say it is transferrable to a new owner.) The second warranty is the 5 year "no fault" that @Forest mentioned above. The tricky part is that the 5 year requires you to register the binos within 60 days of purchase - which (apart from this thread) was news to me. There was nothing in my box apart from a "quick guide" - which didn't mention the warranty or registration. I told the CS guy this and he said "go ahead and register now, and if something goes wrong within the 5 year period, I don't think we will hold your feet to the fire about the timing of your registration". 🤞