Changing it Up

I really need to get away and have an adventure of some type. I was thinking about some type of fishing trip. I live in California and have done lots of lakes/streams for trout and want to do something different. Looking for lots of action but in a relaxing atmosphere. Would prefer something for 3-5 people maybe $1000 or so for 3-5 days if possible. I have never really done the guiding/charter thing but would be willing to do it to get into something different. Also not opposed to something DIY. I have caught enough 16-18inch trout and would prefer something bigger if staying with trout. Probably stay somewhere with in 8-10hr drive from California.

Thanks in advance

cjdewese

WKR
In California, there are tons of places along the eastern sierra route and the 395. Depending on when you go, you could do sections of the Owens river and have a chance at trout much larger than the 16-18 range.

Have you thought about chartering an ocean boat and chasing yellowfin and bluefin tuna, also a blast in California.

Interested to see what other people suggest as well. :)

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Depending where you are in Cal. try looking into a Limited load ocean fishing trip, or a six or 12 pack boat. If you give it until the end of April into May the yellowtail should be picking up by then. Starting end of May throughout the summer White Sea bass should also be taking off. If you have never fished yellow tail, they are real strong fish. WSB can also put up a good fight. Won't be to long and the blue fin tuna will start up and then Aug. sept yellow fin tuna.

wyosteve

WKR
Not sure where you live in CA., but a trip down the Baja to fish the Sea of Cortez would be top of my list. I've done it out of Cabo, but that might be a bit more drive than you want. Mahi-mahi, tuna and marlin sure beat those lowly trout!!

OP
M
Would like to possibly try Baja. Hoping for something that works with small groups. A;so would like to keep most of what we catch and bring home to the family.

I have done the owens and most of the lakes and streams around that area. We will be up there this summer again but need something a little different.

kota

FNG
For springtime fun:
Trout fishing in central oregon. It’s hit or miss, but can provide for some big fish in both rivers and lakes.

Smallmouth on the umpqua, John day or Columbia rivers

Striped bass in the CA delta and NorCal rivers

Anything in the salt

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do!