Changing My Release Aid

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
Years and years ago my first release was a thumb button style. Then I switched to a caliper style wrist strap and have been shooting that style for a long long time with good success. But I’ve been thinking of trying a thumb release again and I ordered a Stan SX3 to check out.

Any pointers? It’s been a while.

Can't help you but have been wanting to try a new release. I have always shot a basic caliper style and would like to try something that might help with punching the trigger..

gburk

WKR
I’m not an expert but it’s possible to anticipate the shot with a thumb and I’ve done it. However it is easier (for me at least and I think generally) to avoid anticipation with a thumb than caliper. But you need to develop your technique and muscle memory.
Watch John Dudley’s video here about getting a surprise release
Upgrading to a Stan will definitely help you shoot better

OP
V

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been looking at this and I’ve never suffered from target panick etc. but I do fear that a change is gonna mess me up until I get it figured out. The attraction to the thumb release is the adjustment and customization. Trigger type releases for me have been great but short on that stuff.

jmez

WKR
It's a Stan, use the training lock a lot before you ever fire an arrow with it.

Take the shot out of the equation until you are comfortable with the release. Nothing to anticipate if you aren't sending an arrow.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

D.Rose

Lil-Rokslider
Can't help you but have been wanting to try a new release. I have always shot a basic caliper style and would like to try something that might help with punching the trigger..
Have you ever looked at a Scott Hex? I've used that release to help multiple wrist strap shooters with their punching issues. It's not a cure all but it is a great tool to show you what a true surprise shot is.

SpineENGR

FNG
I use a Stan Shootoff 3 finger. Works great, feels great, would definitely buy it again. After making the switch from an index release to the thumb button I could never go back to the index.

TX_Diver

WKR
I'm shooting a thumb release (nock 2 it). May mess around with something like the silverback for a few months this summer just for fun. I like both much better than the wrist release, if for no other reason then I don't have it dangling around my hand all day!

JDixon

FNG
Definitely like the thumb release better than wrist, seems easier to draw for me. Using a tension release (silverback) can be frustrating, it will let you know when your form is incorrect. Helped cure my trigger punch tendency.

Gorp2007

WKR
Two weeks ago I picked up a Nock2it after shooting a TruFire Edge for the past year (my first release). Figured it’d give me something to do during the Quarantimes. I don’t have any brilliant advice, but I was surprised that after a week with the Nock2it, my shooting with the TruFire got quite a bit better. I’m more consistent and better about not punching the trigger. Still not as good with the thumb release, but hoping to stick to it and have it ready for hunting season.

OP
V

Valkyrie

Lil-Rokslider
My release came this morning. After a few dozen shots to get it adjusted I can say I am very impressed.

First I thought that I would have major issues with my anchor point but it settled in comfortable and my sight picture remained intact with my kisser button fallinright where it always has.

And next and most significant, is that perceived draw weight feels markedly less. I don’t know why but it just feels like the draw weight is a lot less.

I did have to adjust my sights a little as point if impact shifted very slight to the left. As a precaution I put a few arrows through paper and they are shooting fine so I imagine that the difference in where and how I anchor changed it up a little.

Overall I am very happy and look forward to tinkering with it. I think this is gonna work out great!!