Changing to trad

Brucebarker024

Lil-Rokslider
Sooo... I’m thinking about selling all my compound stuff and buying a satori and diving into the trad world. I’m just no longer challenged by the compound and I don’t need to shoot every day or even every week for that matter for my groups to change. I can leave the compound in the closet for 2 weeks and still put softball groups at 80. Has anyone made this switch and regretted it? Or are you loving it. Let me know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gli_ryan

FNG
Haven’t regretted it. My friend gave me 3 recurves about 4 years ago. Been messing around with them since. A year ago I really started practicing and haven’t looked back. Thinking about selling my compound stuff and getting a duplicate stalker for a backup. I shot my compound in August, took 3 arrows to be in the groove after a year of only shuffling it around the house. No desire to shoot it anymore.

Grand Passage

Lil-Rokslider
Zero regrets. I felt too much pressure to have arrow-touching groups with the compound and created what I would call target panic. I shot a recurve and never touched my compound again.

This was in the '80s....I remember a guy who was a decent shot with his compound. He was in the group ahead of me as we shot a 2D tournament, and his accuracy was off that day. On the final target his shot was off by about 8" and suddenly his bow was helicoptering into the trees. He walked away without retrieving it, and when someone handed it to him 10 minutes later he immediately slam-dunked it into a trash barrel. Even back then, compounds made it a lot easier to be accurate....but we all pressured ourselves to be perfectionists with them.

I hunted 2 years with compounds and somehow they just didn't let me scratch the itch. I killed deer easily with them, and I guess that was the rub. Looking back, I think I just needed to challenge myself in ways the majority typically does not.

I think a guy who is contemplating a switch from modern compound bow to a recurve or longbow just needs to realize....up front...that he's probably looking for more challenge, more learning, more involvement, and a different pathway forward. Some jump in the deep end (I did) and some decide to test the water first. Anyway....come on in. The water is fine. You might even decide to stay.

oldgoat

WKR
Get lessons or buy the Solid Archery Mechanics course and don't shoot the trad bow before you do or you might regret switching. Keep your compound till next summer in case it's not working out or you're not quite ready to hunt with trad. Be really careful of who you take advice from! Buy a cheap low poundage bow to start and don't be afraid to buy used till you figure out what suits you! Shoot it for a while, then if there's anyway for you to get to a major trad shoot or store like rmsgear, do it and try a bunch of bows to figure out what fits your itch!

I regretted it for about 2 days after missing what would have been my biggest archery buck at 12 yards. But I’m back on board now. If you value experience over trophy quality, go for it. If you can’t imagine missing a trophy at 12 yards.......😖😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

Start with something cheap so you can get two sets of limbs. Something 30-35 pounds and another around 50 for hunting. You can get away with less precise and less expensive gear too. I shoot the cheapest gold tip warrior shafts and cheap broadheads and it works great. No need to drop a grand off the bat.

Gli_ryan

FNG
I regretted it for about 2 days after missing what would have been my biggest archery buck at 12 yards. But I’m back on board now. If you value experience over trophy quality, go for it. If you can’t imagine missing a trophy at 12 yards.......😖😭😭😭😭😭😭😭

I missed a mountain lion at 10 yards......you don’t want to miss a shot at a top tier predator when you’ve locked eyes on the ground with one.

LostArra

WKR
I bought my first compound in my 60's after a shoulder injury created a problem for an elk hunt. The shoulder injury resolved and I ended up taking both bows but hunting the recurve.

I enjoy shooting both styles and I believe the compound has complemented my recurve shooting especially since I don't practice with the same high volume of shots that I did when I had healthier shoulders. Looking back I think the high number of practice shots is not necessary and can be harmful in the long term with either style.

I enjoy archery of all styles. On my 3D range I even enjoy shooting my buddy's crossbow. I have no interest to hunt with it because of the weight and cumbersome handling especially in tight cover. I would agree with the recommendation to hold on to your compound at least for a while until you get settled in on the traditional shooting.

oldgoat

WKR
I missed a broad side bull elk at 7 paces my first trad season, never regretted a thing till season was over and freezer was still empty. Did everything else right to get there, just tried to twist and turn too far without moving feet and arm shot to where it should of been when I released the string and shot right under his throat. I was walking on air that I got a shot and that close!

GregB

WKR
Buy a cheap bow w/ light weight for your first bow. This will let you work on form and figure out what you do and don't like in a trad bow. I went from 70# compound to 50# on a recurve and was still over bowed, this cost me a lot of time and created some bad habits. There are also a lot of personal preferences in a trad bow vs. a compound. split finger or 3 under which affect how the bow will be tillered, type of grip, AMO length, aiming style, etc. I haven't regretted switching but I have had some very frustrating days. I'm looking at having a lot less time to hunt next year and am trying to decide if I should go back to the compound to get meat in the freezer or stay w/ the struggle stick.

Mudd Foot

WKR
The only regret you’ll have is that shooting Trad is addicting.

Regarding equipment; if you’re considering a Satori, would strong encourage looking at Tradtech Titan 19” or similar that accepts ILF limbs. Shot one piece LBs, hybrids, and recurves over the years, and recently tried the Titan. It has become my favorite rig by a wide margin. Am not sure I’ll be going back to one piece bows any time soon. The options for limbs, rests, side plates, and stabilizers are pretty vast. Again, not familiar with Hoyt Satori specifically.

Beendare

WKR
Regretted it.....hmmmm....No...but it can be frustrating when you have elk at 50yds feeding that you know are dead with a compound.

I have experienced the frustration of knowing I could have had an easy compound kill. I would say its similar to the difference between a rifle guy and a bowhunter...the rifle guys hunts over....when the bowhunter is just beginning.

Stickbows are a further refinement of that^.

So essentially you just have to hunt a little different, planning/working for close shots. Those rifle guys will never know the feeling of stalking in to 5 steps from a big ole wild hog in the tall grass....getting close is a rush. Now getting that close brings on a whole different set of circumstances too!

Shooting wise I love shooting a stick bow...its rekindled my love of archery. Its so much more challenging...and so much more fun.

If you need someone to bounce stuff off of, feel free to PM me.

JeremiahH

WKR
I jumped over to trad pretty hard a few years ago. Practiced a lot. Got my grouping down to what I thought was comfortable to use it for a bear hunt. Bike packed in all the bait. Worked hard for an entire spring and then launched a two blade straight into the shoulder blade of a little black bear.
Blood trailed the entire next morning. Found where he beaded down and then healed up a bit and was gone.
That bear paid for my trad ego.
I'm not saying don't hunt trad. I still have mine but I've kept all my compound stuff because life happens and many of us don't always have the time and dedication for competent traditional arrow placement that the animals deserve. I'll continue to use both and the season, year, and practice time will determine which one I take for that hunt.
Right now it's my 25-06 because we have a new two month old baby girl and also an empty freezer lol.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk