Charged by a moo cow

Muddygut

FNG
Never charged,but had a few standoffs. Crossing a pasture in the dark to get to my deer stand in an adjacent field, almost got trampled by some hungry heifers that mistook me for the man leasing the farm they thought was there to feed them. Had one and her calf that blocked the gate refusing passage at the same farm. Had to run at them yelling and waving my arms to get them to move. On another occasion (same local farm in Kentucky) some knocked over my turkey decoys and stuck noses in the blind blowing snot on everything. And then there was the lone bull I ran into turkey hunting public ground in Thedford NE. He muscled up and snorted at me and I hopped the fence line I was hugging before it escalated. I wasn't confident in Hevi-shot Mag blend to stop a charge. I try to give right of way to anything that outweighs me by more than a thousand pounds when feasible.

EricS

FNG
My dad got trampled pretty bad by an ornery cow while checking calves when I was a kid....we ate her.

The route to a couple of stands we hunt at farm take us around the barn and through the cow lot.
They can get a little goofy, especially in the pre-morning dark.

I got charged by a cow in the Lincoln national forest because some backpackers ahead of us on the trail were messing with her and her calf. Had to put a tree between us.

I also was doing some aggressive elk bugling and branch breaking once while standing in a saucer shaped depression in the woods. Heard something coming crashing my way, got real excited and over popped a moo cow bull, we both ran in opposite directions.

Treerat-sniper

Lil-Rokslider
Charged & ran up a tree by an angus bull when out squirrel hunting with my dad when I was about 8-9 years old. Had a few stand-offs in the following years. I live & hunt in cattle & corn country, got pretty good at reading cattle over the years.

Opah

WKR
Couple weeks ago it took a pistol shot to get them out of my camp. Assholes. A hundred cow/calf pairs that were sure I had the good stuff. One big cow was leading the whole nonsense, shot in front of her and problem solved.

Took the dog next time. They do not like him.
Last time Out hog hunting they closed and blocked the gate to the area i set up camp.
Made the mistake of Honking my horn and the whole damn herd came running.
I ended up leaving the truck and walking a way for an hour or so, and when I did walk away the cow that closed the gate started mowing at me like it was taunting me calling me a COWard or chicken or something

Fatcamp

WKR
Last time Out hog hunting they closed and blocked the gate to the area i set up camp.
Made the mistake of Honking my horn and the whole damn herd came running.
I ended up leaving the truck and walking a way for an hour or so, and when I did walk away the cow that closed the gate started mowing at me like it was taunting me calling me a COWard or chicken or something

LOL. Seems like there is always one that wants to push the limits.

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Had a bull go after my buddy in the same situation.
We were across a drainage covering the whole area for the set.
Started elk in distress for coyotes.
Had a pissed off moocow bull come in foaming and groaning.
He turned on my buddy. We were using bows, I just remember going "**** I wonder how fast a slick trick would kill this thing if it steps towards him more."

Luckily my buddy thought fast and switched the call to lion screams. It scared the hell out of the bull. It bailed.

I never trust moocows after that. They're the equivalent of a bear that's too accustom of people in my mind.
They get complacent with us, as we do with them. Then bad shit happens.
Complacency breeds contempt.

I had some run ins with a moocow bull the last two years bear hunting.
Had to climb on a boulder once and wait for it to leave.

And another drainage near me actually has a giant feral cow population from reservation cattle that got away over the years.
Almost all of the bulls are sketchy. They'll usually give you a wide berth, but they stand their ground hard.
Government is trying to eradicate them humanely... I don't see that happening. Someone will get gored eventually and it'll change perspectives.
I guess they are somehow protected? I'm thinking feral cow equals big pack job and freezer full of groceries.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Jauwater

WKR
My Dad would take my two oldest brothers out hunting, and at the time I'm guessing they were about 13, and 14. Dad would set them up in a spot, and then head off to his own. My next to oldest brother would never stay put. He'd roam the woods. Well one evening My oldest brother watched our other brother sprint across a field with a cow in tow. He found a lone tree in the middle of the pasture, and was able to get out of her way. It took them several hours to find where he dropped his gun. They got back to the truck late, and Dad was pissed, so they told him they shot a buck, but weren't able to track him. So Dad dragged them back into the woods to find this fake blood trail they lost track of. They spent another couple hours hiking through out the night looking for something that wasn't there. Dad even went back in the morning before work to give it another look. Of course he came up empty. Fast forward 20 years, they come clean at the dinner table on Thanksgiving. It was a good laugh. Dad was telling that story about.them losing that buck for the past 20 years. A story he didn't even know was a fake. All because of being chased by a cow.

Sent from my SM-S506DL using Tapatalk

Te Hopo

Lil-Rokslider
If yall want some practice dealing with pissed off cows then I'll gladly take help tagging calves haha!!
Too bloody right, I wound up over a fence last week with a big mama right behind me 😅
I made a note that the untagged calf belongs to cow 24 and will deal with it in the yards sometime.
We normally tag just out where ever on the farm

Had a bull stalking me on a river trip, for about 2 hours every time I headed to shore this young bull would show up on the beach snorting, pawing and tail in the air.

Opah

WKR

Any one want to see about a hunt ? Granted this was 3 years ago?​

But it is BLM land, which one can hunt on, I sent an E mail about hunting feral cows.

Feral cattle terrorize hikers and devour native plants in a California national monument​

An estimated 150 unbranded feral bulls and cows roam the new Sand to Snow National Monument near Palm Springs.

An estimated 150 unbranded feral bulls and cows roam the new Sand to Snow National Monument near Palm Springs

Last edited: