Chargemaster Issue with Zero

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I have a RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and I keep loosing my zero. I will load 2 or 3 rounds no issues, I’ll put the powder pan back on the scale and instead of going to zero it will wonder up to .5 to .7 grains. I will hit the zero button and it will be fine for a couple rounds and it will do it again. It’s driving me nuts. Should I just keep re-zeroing with the pan or is there something else? Not sure if I am throwing inaccurate amounts or not since I am re-zeroing. My buddy said turn it on an hour before I load, usually I turn it on and start right away. I saw somewhere not to have your cell phone nearby which I usually have in my pocket. Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
Try some static guard. RCBS gear is famous for having massive swings that they attribute to static buildup. If that fails then it's time for the dumpster unfortunately. I hate to say, but there's a reason allot of full time shooters went to FX-120i w/autothrow setups.

OP
BigDawgWill44

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I just loaded up 15 rounds tonight do you think they are accurate since I was re-zeroing when there was wondering?

nhyrum

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, you do need to let the scale thoroughly warm up. That's part of the issue with strain gauge scales, they're extremely prone to drift.

Try letting it fully warm up before chucking it. If that doesn't help, an a&d fx 120 is in order

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

SawtoothShooter

Lil-Rokslider
I just loaded up 15 rounds tonight do you think they are accurate since I was re-zeroing when there was wondering?

Negative ghost rider. If you can't guarantee a scale is calibrated to the same point and not drifting, then the charge it throws is no good.

OP
BigDawgWill44

BigDawgWill44

Lil-Rokslider
I turned on the Chargemaster for an hour and loaded 40 rounds, no wonder at all and verified all throws on another scale. Also left phone in the house. Thanks for the tip.

Lawnboi

WKR
Turn it on early. Make sure it’s away from appliances, keep your phone away, don’t fart and try to limit static.

I also calibrate before each use after warmup.

rayporter

WKR
i keep a check wt that is near the powder charge i am throwing with the scale and use it to check the scale.

dont touch the table when the scale is in use!

Let it warm up, Wipe down with dryer sheet, keep electronics off, no wind, I also run mine off a portable battery pack to keep the power source “pure” consistent and with no interference

rayporter

WKR
i have a confession to make. i dont warm up a CM.

a year or two after the CM came out i got one [ it still works]

other than wiping it down with a dryer sheet once a year, i have not been particular about how it is used.

i plug it in and turn it on without warm up and rarely calibrate. it is always right on my check wt.

frequently it is under fluorescent lights when used. most ranges have florescent lights and i have one over my loading bench. at matches i am under lights most of the time with many, many other guys running a CM. i dont see troubles with their units either. even on a cold 50 degree morning it works.

sometimes i am on battery and sometimes plugged in. most guys plug in. the unit must not draw much juice because the battery will last 96 hours straight with out turning off the unit.

my phone is on me or laying beside my CM. most guys have a phone nearby also.

even a small shoot will have a dozen guys loading with a CM and i dont hear any complaints.

seriously, are all you guys having troubles with lights and electronics?

I struggled with this and my chargemaster lite. Then I upgraded to an autotrickler v3 and I still had the same problem!

While I think that dryer sheets are a good temporary measure, I don't think they're a permanent solution. So along with letting my scales warm up for a long time, I permanently grounded both my chargemaster and my fx-120i by grounding the metal chassis of the scales (the chargemaster took a bit of disassembly) to the water main which was conveniently in the wall right behind my bench. I am moving soon and I have plans to do the same using the path to ground available in one of the electrical outlet boxes.

These scales are finicky and unless you can maintain constant electrical potential, you're always going to struggle. A humidifier maintaining 50% RH will really help too, especially in dry climates like here in Colorado.

Remhunter

FNG
I run a Chargemaster and I am guilty of not letting it warm up, however I do calibrate it before each use. I have never had any issues with it giving wrong charges besides the occassional overthrow with pellet powder, which is usually one or two tenths of a grain. I will take the first charge and check it on my beam scale and pocket scale and they all read the same. Is there a vent or anything by your scale that is occassionally blowing on it?

I never had these issues with my chargemaster 1500 either. Tried to keep it warmed up but that's about the extent of my efforts. Checked out fine with check weights every time I've tried in the last 6 or 7 years. Went autotrickler v3 for speed and even more confidence but I don't think my ammo is any better than it used to be.

Any drifting i've had went away once the HVAC was turned off.