Chargers?

Not really wondering about which particular charger you use, but more about your charging "system"?

Do you just use one power bank that lasts you the whole trip? Solar charger? Solar power bank?

If you use a solar charger, do you leave it at camp? When do you charge your stuff? Wouldn't the charger be useless at night? Do you use it to charge a power bank? Does that mean you don't bring your power bank with you while out in the field?

Solar power banks seem like a pretty good choice - bring it in the field, and let it charge whenever I stop (glassing, lunch, etc).. But all the ones I see have unnecessary features like a flashlight..

nobody

WKR
I have a power bank that I charge up before I leave for the field. If I let my phone die COMPLETELY (Iphone 12), it'll charge it from dead to full battery 4-5 times. Since I'm not using my phone for anything but to check a map occasionally and set a waypoint, and I'm on airplane mode 99% of the time, I only end up charging about once every 2.5-3 days. By that, I would have to be gone a long time to need more than that. It's about the size of my phone and cost me $25 on Amazon. I've got a couple of them that I can bring or leave as necessary. I see the merits of the solar chargers, but I haven't found a need for one for my 5-ish day backcountry trips.

Geewhiz

WKR
I have a 10,000 mah I believe with a build in solar panel on it. Its an off brand but i am very impressed with how well it works and recharges itself. I always have it with me.

Rock-o

WKR
I have an Anker 21W solar charger and two Anker 325 20k mAh bricks.

The idea is to leave the solar charger at camp charging one of the bricks and I take a brick with me. It's overkill and I haven't actually needed to do it since my Inreach battery seems to last forever and I leave my phone in airplane mode so it always lasts a very long time. So, basically, I carry a brick with me unnecessarily lol. I've never had to use the second brick or solar charger.

FWIW Test your solar rig before you take it to the field. Mine are a lot slower to charge a phone than I hoped.

I have a dark energy and a few Anker battery packs. All around 10,000 gigawatts or whatever. The dark energy is tough as hell but I doubt I would buy again. I prefer the idea of having multiple pack in case one dies in the field.

as far as a “system” I would take 1-3 Ankers with me for any trip less than 5 days, depending on what I have to charge. Opinions may vary but I dont think solar pays off on short and mid duration trips. If I brought solar, it would stay in camp charging a battery pack during the day and then that pack would charge my gadgets at night.

FWIW Test your solar rig before you take it to the field. Mine are a lot slower to charge a phone than I hoped.

I have a dark energy and a few Anker battery packs. All around 10,000 gigawatts or whatever. The dark energy is tough as hell but I doubt I would buy again. I prefer the idea of having multiple pack in case one dies in the field.

as far as a “system” I would take 1-3 Ankers with me for any trip less than 5 days, depending on what I have to charge. Opinions may vary but I dont think solar pays off on short and mid duration trips. If I brought solar, it would stay in camp charging a battery pack during the day and then that pack would charge my gadgets at night.
Had one fail this season. Luckily my two 5000's weight less than my 10,000 so I had brought two and had a backup.

Gone4Days

WKR
One powerbank for the whole trip. in my experience, portable solar chargers are junk and not practical.

I always have a solar charger and two Anker 20,000 power banks in camp, no matter what. Device batteries run low pretty quick, especially if used frequently and when the air temperature is cold.

Depending on how low my devices are on any given day, I will take an Anker power bank and the solar charger (weather permitting) in the field while hunting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
2 day trips - Jackery Mini 3000 Mah
3-4 day trips- Anker 5000
5-7 day trips- Anker 10,000
7+ day trips- two Anker 10,000