Charging Battery Pack and Phone from Truck (Engine Running?)

Njtaxi

FNG
Hello,

I am in the process of getting a Battery Pack in order to charge my cell phone for OnX use. Can I charge either/both of them overnight using my truck's battery, without the truck running? If so, has anyone had any issues with it depleting the truck battery?

I know that the best way to find out is to try it, but I just wanted some opinions before I buy the battery pack so that I can size it properly, etc.

Thanks in advance.

gumbl3

WKR
Shouldn't be a problem.. Get a portable jump box to keep in the truck just in case, you won't regret having one when you need it anyways

WCB

WKR
I used to leave my cell phone or small battery back plugged in all the time to my truck at night....zero issues. I personally am looking into a charging case so I can get a couple days or more out of my cell phone and a battery pack that will also supply at least a couple charges for my phone. I have forgotten more than once to plug my phone in and/or grabbed it in the morning and realized the plug wasn't in far enough or something stupid. starting off the day with a dead phone is not optimal.

Charging a cell phone and small battery pack won't appreciably deplete the truck battery, but some vehicles are wired to shut off power to the accessory outlets when the vehicle isn't running. If yours is wired that way, you could find an existing always hot circuit inside the cab and splice in a 12V female outlet or run your own hot wire straight off the battery to an outlet in the cab. Just make sure you have a fuse between the battery and outlet if you do add/modify any circuits.

Last edited:
OP
N

Njtaxi

FNG
Thanks for all the responses! I'll have to test out the outlets ahead of time and make sure they are always powered up.