Chase points or hunt?

So my dad and I have 1 point each, We don’t plan on putting in this year but we aren’t certain yet. We will likely wait atleast until 2022 and go in with 2 points. Where seems to be the sweet spot for point?’ Where are you getting the most for your points? I know some units are 10-15 points, are they worth the 10-15 year wait or does hunting 4-5 times in that same timeframe make up for the lesser quality?

Just me, but I would rather hunt more, and build multiple rich experiences and memories with my dad, while he's still here and able to hunt, than to hold out and keep chasing points that I may or may not ever catch up to. Hey, they're all trophies to me. Whether 72" or 82", doesn't mean a whole lot, as long as I'm out there, especially with the ole' man.

Last edited:
If you’re careful you can do both.
Unless you’re 8 years old now and live to be 175ish you’ll never bank enough points to get the max point units, unless you draw them in the random.

NoWiser

WKR
Those 10-15 point units will take you 30+ years to draw. Just go hunt when you are able to. With 1 or 2 points you'll get a good hunt if you do your homework.

Well I can tell you I have 11 points in my home state and the damn unit isn't what is was when I started saving.
From now on I'll burn my points on any half decent unit I can get.
Sure I mite have to hunt harder but whats the point if you draw the tag and there's no big bucks anymore.

WCB

WKR
Hunt....a two point unit this year could be 4 next year. I laugh at guys that chase points...complain about it. Then don't have the experience to make it happen when they do draw the tag. Obviously this isn't everyone chasing points.

Maybe build in one state and hunt another for the same species.

Depends on how many out of state hunts that you can do a year and how many different animals you are putting in for. I started the points game roughly 5 years ago in a handful of states. I can do one long out of state trip or two shorter ones during the months of August/Oct. During Nov/Dec if I can plan it right I can get another couple hunts in but drawing those tags would take a life time of points so really its two out of state hunts a year. So if I rotating states and animals its easy to build 5-10 points before hunting that animal of state. Once I draw that state and animal I start building points again. In the process of building points I hunted OTC tags or 100% draw tags to make sure I was not sitting at home. Add in in state hunting I pretty much hunt from Aug-Jan. We are just now in process of actually using any points for hunts. This year will be General Elk in Wyoming for my dad and son and hopefully another tag somewhere in a random draw. The year after they will cash in and do Wyoming Antelope averaging 4 points each. From there we will have to see how we want to play out other states and points.
You need a long term plan on how you want build points. It does cost a little money building points. And dont worry about cashing in more points than it takes to hunt the unit you want. I know the tag I draw in Colorado I will have a few more points than are really needed but based on the time frame I cant hunt Colorado for a couple years.

Seamaster

Lil-Rokslider
Of course it is possible to have a nice hunt in almost any unit, the units that currently take 3 - 5 points are usually a much better experience if you are DIY on public land.

The easy-to-draw units are easy for a reason.

The chasing points for the super-tough-to-draw units is probably a waste of time.

2rocky

WKR
I think you have to identify some states you want to hunt often, and other states where you are in for the long haul. If you can have multiple species to choose from in a state or general area, you can create some knowledge for when you do draw the species that is the premier tag there.

Look at second choice and leftover tags. You want to have some 'lope stalking practice before you draw a tag after 15-20 years. These Draw odds sites will give you an idea if there ARE opportunity hunts in the state you are interested.

The program you buy into now, will not have the same rules in 10-15 years. Many states are going to have a real issue come up when people start passing away with 20-30+ points and were never able to hunt where they wanted. I would go hunt now.

wytx

WKR
I don't know, Wyoming makes no guarantee you'll draw with any amount of PP. Those older, high PP holders pass away then your odds get better.
From the WG&F website : Preference points are a way to improve your odds of eventually drawing a license in a hard-to-draw hunt area.

I do agree with SummitsCalling on go hunt now, or the next year.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was about 5-7 years in to the points game before I figured out the scam.
I dont do points.
I've been playing that "scam" very successfully for quite some time now.

OP, I didn't see where you mentioned what state you're talking about. In CO we have plenty of OTC archery pronghorn units, so you can hunt every year while collecting points if you want.

S.Clancy

WKR
So my dad and I have 1 point each, We don’t plan on putting in this year but we aren’t certain yet. We will likely wait atleast until 2022 and go in with 2 points. Where seems to be the sweet spot for point?’ Where are you getting the most for your points? I know some units are 10-15 points, are they worth the 10-15 year wait or does hunting 4-5 times in that same timeframe make up for the lesser quality?
The answer is always hunt. The only way I would build points is if you live in a state where you can hunt most species every year and build points in another state. For example, I live in MT and can hunt alot of species every year while I build points in AZ and WY. I doubt I will get above 5 pts in either state before I burn them tho, cause I want to hunt.

OP
Mdfowlman2
I've been playing that "scam" very successfully for quite some time now.

OP, I didn't see where you mentioned what state you're talking about. In CO we have plenty of OTC archery pronghorn units, so you can hunt every year while collecting points if you want.
As far as pronghorn I have Wyoming points, I have a list of places I plan to start buying Points as they come available. I didn’t know CO had otc archery pronghorn tags, I may have to def look at those maybe hunt pronghorn for a few days and head west to scout for a elk/mule deer hunt.

OP
Mdfowlman2
The answer is always hunt. The only way I would build points is if you live in a state where you can hunt most species every year and build points in another state. For example, I live in MT and can hunt alot of species every year while I build points in AZ and WY. I doubt I will get above 5 pts in either state before I burn them tho, cause I want to hunt.
Unfortunately I live in Md, we have whitetails and Sika. Pretty sure I will be in CO this year on a easy to draw mule deer unit or otc elk unit. Next year I will put in for pronghorn with 2 points in wyoming

S.Clancy

WKR
Unfortunately I live in Md, we have whitetails and Sika. Pretty sure I will be in CO this year on a easy to draw mule deer unit or otc elk unit. Next year I will put in for pronghorn with 2 points in wyoming
I would hunt as often as you could then. You'll build skills and learn the units to come back to. Good luck!