Chassis for hunting poll

Chassis for hunting

• Tried it and do not like it

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Tried it and liked it

Votes: 22 62.9%

• Total voters
Thinking of putting a Tikka in a XLR for the adjustability so my wife and I can share the rifle. Just wondering about how others that have tried a chassis felt about using one for hunting.

OP
MuleyFever
Looking again at the XLR site they list the carbon buttstock as 12.5" and 13.75" options. Are they not adjustable?

Sobrbiker

WKR
Did you vote?
Yup.
I shot PRS style matches for years with chassis systems (ran Rock Solid chassis) before they became all the rage, and I took up hunting after dialing back on competitions so I’m more comfortable with them.
The MDT LSS is a relatively lightweight setup, so it’s what I run on my hunting gun.

tdot

WKR
I picked up a folding Carbon XLR, I really like it. 99% of my shooting experience was with a traditional shaped bolt action rifle. I probably should have purchased the adjustable non-carbon butt stock, as it turns out I don't like hiking with the gun strapped to the back of my pack.

I haven't hunted in cold weather with it, but since it would be carried in a gun bearer, I'm not as concerned about the cold aspect of it.

I'm very comfortable with it off-hand and prone, along with various field positions. I'll likely be buying a second XLR.

Have a Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry Barrel and action chambered in .300 Wby Mag, dropped into a MDT LSS XL Gen 2. Love the way it shoots and the folder I have on it. Just haven't hunted with it yet. I'll vote when I ruck it around the National Forest a bit.

I've hunted with an AIAT (full rifle, not just the chassis) before. I think I went back to carbon fiber stocks just because of the weight.

I like my chassis guns but it totally depends on the hunt. If there's a high percentage of a long shot I'll pack that chassis every time. If majority of shots will be semi short shots then I'll just pack my carbon 308 traditional stock.

Firemedic710

Lil-Rokslider
I picked up a folding Carbon XLR, I really like it. 99% of my shooting experience was with a traditional shaped bolt action rifle. I probably should have purchased the adjustable non-carbon butt stock, as it turns out I don't like hiking with the gun strapped to the back of my pack.

I haven't hunted in cold weather with it, but since it would be carried in a gun bearer, I'm not as concerned about the cold aspect of it.

I'm very comfortable with it off-hand and prone, along with various field positions. I'll likely be buying a second XLR.
Can you expand on why you didn’t care for it strapped to your pack? I was thinking this would be perfect to use for busting through the alders with.

tdot

WKR
Can you expand on why you didn’t care for it strapped to your pack? I was thinking this would be perfect to use for busting through the alders with.

Main reason is that I hunt in Grizzly country and I prefer fast access to my rifle.
2nd reason is that even with the folded stock, the barrel sits above my pack and the barrel gets caught when brush busting. I much prefer to have it in a gun bearer where I can see and control the muzzle as I duck and weave through the brush.

If I was humping a pack in for some fun LR shooting, outside of hunting season, then I would carry it folded on my pack.

shax2lex

Lil-Rokslider
I compete and I hunt with my one bolt rifle. It’s in a chassis. After my competing days are done, I don’t think I could even go back to a traditional stock. I like the modularity. Also, it’s like once you’ve seen the light, there’s no going back. I just wish more companies made a fold over the bolt option. If they would do that and make it lite, you couldn’t sell enough of them.

Have a Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry Barrel and action chambered in .300 Wby Mag, dropped into a MDT LSS XL Gen 2. Love the way it shoots and the folder I have on it. Just haven't hunted with it yet. I'll vote when I ruck it around the National Forest a bit.
To reevaluate on my own comment, MDT folder on a magnum.... nope

after 5 rounds of .300 Wby, every time it gets some play at the retaining screw in the chassis, which holds the folder........ folder is a no go. I turned it into a fixed buttstock now though and it’s solid

To reevaluate on my own comment, MDT folder on a magnum.... nope

after 5 rounds of .300 Wby, every time it gets some play at the retaining screw in the chassis, which holds the folder........ folder is a no go. I turned it into a fixed buttstock now though and it’s solid
I had a Manners EHF1A folder. There wasn't really play in the hinge but it added so much weight that I ended up going to an EH1 with a stock pad on it. It cut about 2.5 pounds off the stock.

I had a Manners EHF1A folder. There wasn't really play in the hinge but it added so much weight that I ended up going to an EH1 with a stock pad on it. It cut about 2.5 pounds off the stock.
I love the idea of a folder, but that one in my opinion can’t handle the Weatherby magnum recoil

Elite

WKR
Let’s bring this thread back alive since there is a lot more available in chassis now. I would love to try one but I hunt in a cold climate in Canada. Is there any other companies beside the mdt that have carbon fibre grips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Let’s bring this thread back alive since there is a lot more available in chassis now. I would love to try one but I hunt in a cold climate in Canada. Is there any other companies beside the mdt that have carbon fibre grips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Since I last replied I've switched to KRG chassis systems on my guns. They fit me better than any stock or other chassis I've tried and it's way easier to get full length rails on them for tripod mounting than a traditional stock.