Chassis for hunting poll

Chassis for hunting

• Tried it and do not like it

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Tried it and liked it

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

MuleyFever

Thinking of putting a Tikka in a XLR for the adjustability so my wife and I can share the rifle. Just wondering about how others that have tried a chassis felt about using one for hunting.

OP
MuleyFever

MuleyFever

Looking again at the XLR site they list the carbon buttstock as 12.5" and 13.75" options. Are they not adjustable?

Sobrbiker

Did you vote?
Yup.
I shot PRS style matches for years with chassis systems (ran Rock Solid chassis) before they became all the rage, and I took up hunting after dialing back on competitions so I’m more comfortable with them.
The MDT LSS is a relatively lightweight setup, so it’s what I run on my hunting gun.

tdot

I picked up a folding Carbon XLR, I really like it. 99% of my shooting experience was with a traditional shaped bolt action rifle. I probably should have purchased the adjustable non-carbon butt stock, as it turns out I don't like hiking with the gun strapped to the back of my pack.

I haven't hunted in cold weather with it, but since it would be carried in a gun bearer, I'm not as concerned about the cold aspect of it.

I'm very comfortable with it off-hand and prone, along with various field positions. I'll likely be buying a second XLR.

BeastOfTheTrees

Have a Weatherby Vanguard Backcountry Barrel and action chambered in .300 Wby Mag, dropped into a MDT LSS XL Gen 2. Love the way it shoots and the folder I have on it. Just haven't hunted with it yet. I'll vote when I ruck it around the National Forest a bit.

JohnJohnson

I've hunted with an AIAT (full rifle, not just the chassis) before. I think I went back to carbon fiber stocks just because of the weight.

orelkaddict

I like my chassis guns but it totally depends on the hunt. If there's a high percentage of a long shot I'll pack that chassis every time. If majority of shots will be semi short shots then I'll just pack my carbon 308 traditional stock.