Chassis vs. Stock Setup?

ericwh

WKR
Aftermarket chassis will have provisions/reliefs for the safety to be located in the same factory location just like a stock would be. so manipulation would not be any different.

Thanks. Understood. Also want to say I really appreciate the ambidextrous feature on the Element.

My question is about a path for the thumb from shooting position to the safety. If one wraps the thumb around the pistol grip, wouldn't the buffer-tube block that path? You have to move your hand down to clear the tube, up to do the safety, hand down to clear buffer tube, and back into position.

With a conventional stock I keep my hand in position and pretty much only move my thumb.

Is it not as difficult as I'm imagining? Or are most people not wrapping the thumb anyway?

XLR

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Thanks. Understood. Also want to say I really appreciate the ambidextrous feature on the Element.

My question is about a path for the thumb from shooting position to the safety. If one wraps the thumb around the pistol grip, wouldn't the buffer-tube block that path? You have to move your hand down to clear the tube, up to do the safety, hand down to clear buffer tube, and back into position.

With a conventional stock I keep my hand in position and pretty much only move my thumb.

Is it not as difficult as I'm imagining? Or are most people not wrapping the thumb anyway?
I SEE!! Ok that makes since. Yes a thinner sporter stock allows a shooter to have their hand wrapped more on top of the stock which will then allow just the manipulation of the safety which their thumb. But is that better??

first off there are many ways to grip stocks and chassis. A lot of it preference but more importantly what is comfortable for you, and consistent. We know that in any discipline shooting rifles, bows, etc consistency has a large correlation on accuracy. Some shooters might wrap their thumb around the grip like you would normally do on any many AR style grips, but some shooters will rest their thumb on the side of the chassis.

resting the thumb on the side of the chassis is more common with competitive shooters for faster bolt acquisition, but sometimes it is also because that is what they are accustom to with traditional stocks. the adjustable thumb rest is an accessory that we sell a lot of for this exact reason to allow a "anchor" point for that consistency.

Now with either method, YES their is a slight amount of more movement to operate the safety but never really looked at that as an issue personally. On most of your traditional stocks shooters have a hard time with trigger alignment and proper/consistent 90 degree trigger press. A more vertical grip on either stocks or chassis for most people allow a more consistent and proper alignment for 90 degree trigger press. Why do think benchrest, F-Class, ELR stocks, PRS/NRL matches and of course chassis for all competitive shooting utilize vertical grips?

So what I am trying to say is would you rather have less than a second difference on safety manipulation for how ever important that is? Or would you rather be more accurate when the shot counts?

Phil j

Lil-Rokslider
You can always buy a trigger tech trigger with a bottom safety I don’t currently have one of theirs but I have had several rifles with the set up and it worked well you use your trigger finger to flip the safety forward right before you get ready to pull it

Reactions: XLR
I don't understand the "vertical grip for prone but not ideal for other positions" thought that is frequently referenced. A vertical grip at the right distance to the trigger helps you to pull a stock squarely into your shoulder and make a good 90 degree trigger press straight back. These are things that are more difficult to do correctly with a traditional open gripped sporter stock, in any position.

A chassis is typically easier to configure to fit a shooter correctly and I would choose a chassis over the vast majority of stocks out there if the decision was only based upon the act of shooting. Unfortunately folks typically spend a lot more time carrying rifles than shooting them while hunting and a synthetic stock and BDL or flush DBM is going to be more pleasant to carry.

Last edited:

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I don't understand the "vertical grip for prone but not ideal for other positions" thought that is frequently referenced. A vertical grip at the right distance to the trigger helps you to pull a stock squarely into your shoulder and make a good 90 degree trigger press straight back. These are things that are more difficult to do correctly with a traditional open gripped sporter stock, in any position.

A chassis is typically easier to configure to fit a shooter correctly and I would choose a chassis over the vast majority of stocks out there if the decision was only based upon the act of shooting. Unfortunately folks typically spend a lot more time carrying rifles than shooting them while hunting and a synthetic stock and BDL or flush DBM is going to be more pleasant to carry.
The vertical grip myth is based on what people "feel" a rifle should be like. Same with how to shoulder a precision rifle with front and rear support.

People are so used to traditional stocks that the better ways "feel funny". But, every time I have put a shooter behind a properly configured rifle that fit them, they universally say it feels different but they can see results in shooting right away.

That's the huge benefit of a chassis, you can actually get it to fit you.

I cut almost two inches off a stock for a small friend of mine. He was amazed how a well fit rifle felt and how easy it was to get a sight picture in the scope. He learned on an ill fitting stock and lived with it, but never knew better.

His shooting improved immediately and he was able to consistently shoot moa and better out to 700.

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You can always buy a trigger tech trigger with a bottom safety I don’t currently have one of theirs but I have had several rifles with the set up and it worked well you use your trigger finger to flip the safety forward right before you get ready to pull it
Bottom safety are nice. I had a Huber with it. I may go to that with my TT now that you mention it.

Having used both styles of packing in and day hunts I prefer traditional style stock. If I'm hunting out of a blind or tree stand chassis is great.

wyosam

WKR
I tried a chassis, and pretty much immediately didn’t like it. It was on a bench gun, and it made 2 trips to the range. I sold it less than a week after UPS dropped it at my door. Just didn’t like the feel, and there is the ugly factor, too. My rifles that I care what they look like like get laminate for the most part. Hunting rifles wear wood or Tupperware. I do have a carbon stock on the way, I hope I like the feel of it for the cost!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk