Chassis

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
Currently own a Christensen Arms Ridgeline. Recently went to a long range shooting school and got me thinking that I’d really like an adjustable length of pull, adjustable cheek riser. Been looking at some options out there and am wondering what people think about light weight chassis? I don’t want to compromise accuracy and would like to keep the weight as close to my current ridgeline as possible. Accuracy in a chassis vs. traditional stock? Any thoughts on MPR chassis by Christensen or the ultralight chassis by MPA?

Big fan of chassis guns. My favorite is the xlr magnesium element.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

OP
Barnesc6

Barnesc6

Lil-Rokslider
Do you find that weight is forward heavy on the gun with chassis?

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
It would depend on the chassis how far the weight would be forward. Most chassis that a hunter would consider would put the weight around the action with the backbone for strength. Front heavy in most cases would be from the barrel, bipod, or suppressor.

I have a KRG Bravo and most of the weight is from the backbone around the action (middle).

R_burg

WKR
What does your stock weigh now? Does a Christensen arms fit into a remington inlet or is it different?

Lawnboi

WKR
Downsides to a chassis for me and why I wouldn’t personally choose one for a hunting rifle. Bare metal, a lot of it, cold on the hands walking around or sitting and holding the rifle.
Aics style mags, especially the long action ones. Big, clunky, loud and some tactical style mag releases spit them out real easy.

Just somethings to keep in mind. I know there are solutions for the above problems like with the bravo with plastic skins and 3 round aics mags.

I had a bravo chassis and would run one for hunting if I didn’t mind dealing with the mag.

RoseAllen

FNG
I am thanking about buying xlr magnesium element 3.0. What would be the advantages and disadvantages?
Someone please talk me out of a spending $1,000 on a chassis.

just made the switch to a chassis my self- the KRG W3 folder. How stiff and adjustable these chasis are i feel are worth the weight. Look at the KRG bravo chassis or the Christensen ridgeline chassis, those are pretty light.

Downsides to a chassis for me and why I wouldn’t personally choose one for a hunting rifle. Bare metal, a lot of it, cold on the hands walking around or sitting and holding the rifle.
Aics style mags, especially the long action ones. Big, clunky, loud and some tactical style mag releases spit them out real easy.

Just somethings to keep in mind. I know there are solutions for the above problems like with the bravo with plastic skins and 3 round aics mags.

I had a bravo chassis and would run one for hunting if I didn’t mind dealing with the mag.

Great points to consider.

The KRG style chassis have very little metal exposed, its all covered by polymer skins, as you have said. I dont know about the xlr .

There are some lower profile AICS compatable mags if that intrests you, and i have found that it is actually easier clear a miss feed or a shell falling back in the chamber with the AICS than other systems I have used. You can always duct tape the magazine to the stock like the old snipers use to do with the BDL magazines on the M40s. Crude but effective.

I really like how easy it is to add accessories if you wish- like a pic rail for a bipod, arca rail for a tripod.

yes I echo the no chassis for hunting rifle. I have many chassis rifles, but all are used as long range steel killers lol. Personally I have found that the "best chassis" are the heavier ones. As my rating of best is holding the rifle system steady, absorbing or correctly directing recoil, proper bedding system to improve harmonics and accuracy. My 3 favorite hands down and I own all 3. The Accuracy International AX chassis which I built a MK13 wannabe in. Hands down my favorite chassis and rifle build in general. The polymer is better for those cold days rather than the steel, but the AI AX is built like a tank and not a great hunting rifle set up. Way too heavy but this baby is in 300wm and has been the best shooter I have ever owned.

My second and third favorite in order are the Masterpiece Arms Chassis then the Cadex Lite Strike. My Masterpiece is in 6.5 creed and is a phenomenal chassis. Lighter then the other two for sure, it is very heavily used in the PRS tournaments by many shooters. For sure could be used in hunting as it is much lighter and is designed to be shot off of various barricades and positions. So would do well as a hunter, but still heavier of course then a standard stock. And the Cadex is IMO the best made chassis on the planet in regards to fit, finish and machining. Quality is amazing, but it is extremely heavy, lots of rails everywhere that look awesome but can become a cheese grater on the hands. I have it on a 338 Lapua so this gun is really only ever used in prone off a bipod. Again if you wish to carry this on a mountain go nuts..... but my 338 LM in the cadex is a 16lb rifle, I suppose if you used a hunting barrel contour instead you would still be sitting around 12-13lbs. Not something I want to carry all day.

Chassis's really help the shooter get comfortable laying behind a rifle, they really help with accuracy vs non bedded stocks and they really help with rapid follow ups as the recoil is directed correctly in the design. Other than the accuracy piece (which you could bed your rifle in a hunting stock) the chassis does not offer much in hunting scenarios. In hunting situations we don't always get to find a nice flat place to lay down prone, and we really don't get rapid follow ups (if we did our jobs right to begin with). Of the above rifles the only one that has gone hunting is the 6.5 in the masterpiece arms chassis. I take it coyote hunting where I can lay flat in the snow and just run my electronic call. And again I can get rapid follows ups as its common to see multiple coyotes running in etc.

I like using chassis alot better than a traditional stock more adjustment to make it fit you better. I've ran may different model stocks and chassis and no matter what I always go back to a chassis. One of my favorites for versility and light weight was the krg xray chassis.

Wright406

WKR
+1 for the KRG Bravo. Have used one since the release and it’s hard to beat for the price and how light it is. $350 or so and is modular enough to add all kinds of KRG accessories. You can test out if a chassis will work for a third of the cost of some other options. Yes the magazine issue is a potential. But I’ll normally keep my mag detached while hiking and throw it in while stalking. I’ll also keep random rounds throughout my hunting kit so if the chance my magazine went missing I could single feed cartridges. I have my second custom rifle being built on another as we speak!

Attachments

• E2A472E6-B887-4622-8220-4E0ECE3458A1.jpeg
    E2A472E6-B887-4622-8220-4E0ECE3458A1.jpeg
    95.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

msstate56

Lil-Rokslider
I have two of the XLR Element 3.0 magnesium chassis, one LA and ofne SA. Both have been carried on hunts out west and in MS. I have also used the SA chassis in PRS matches with added steel weights. Once you learn how to properly adjust the chassis to fit you, you won't be near as comfortable behind a traditional stock. It takes far too much effort to modify a traditional stock to perfectly fit LOP and cheek rest height. Plus a chassis can easily adapt to a folding stock. I have found that I can fold the stock, and my rifle with suppressor doesn't stick up as far as my friends' unfolded stocks w/o suppressor. The only traditional stock that is a folder is Manners, and their folder adds over a pound to the stock. As far as cold metal- have you guys heard of gloves? Any time I'm hunting, I have on some type of gloves. I run lightweight gloves that I can shoot with 100% of the time.

For the mag issue? I wrap an elastic hair tie around the trigger guard and the mag release. This puts additional tension on the release, but still have the ability to remove the magazine. So far in two seasons of hunting, I've yet to have the magazine accidentally release.

Could go halfway in between with a McMillan Sentry..... classic reliability of a custom McMillan stock body but with a buffer tube AR style buttstock

hereinaz

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Could go halfway in between with a McMillan Sentry..... classic reliability of a custom McMillan stock body but with a buffer tube AR style buttstock
I ended up trading into a Sentry, it is pretty slick. I don't need another stock, but I am so tempted to keep it. Still have not listed it yet to sell, decisions, decisions.

khuber84

WKR
I ended up trading into a Sentry, it is pretty slick. I don't need another stock, but I am so tempted to keep it. Still have not listed it yet to sell, decisions, decisions.
What's the weight of the sentry? Is this an edge tech sentry? I'd never saw one these until you mentioned it.