Cheap as chips muzzleloader??

I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive muzzleloader to get some more venison for family members. I always seem to be in South Dakota first week of December, be nice to wack some deer on The inlaws 8,000 acres of corn and soybeans. Id potentially use it for two big more exotic trips.

Goals would be 1.5 moa to 300 yards or so. Take my time finding a good load it likes, find my dope and then just let it sit.

CVA wolf seems to be had pretty cheaply. I'd slap an swfa 3-15 on it.

Am I on a the right path here?

Bar

Banned
So, you want to shoot 4-5" groups at 300yds? Yes, that's doable with a Wolf.

Murdy

WKR
I know you said cheap, but you can pick up a comparable optima online for about $50 or so more than a wolf -- longer barrel, physically bigger gun

That said, I like the wolf as well, my buddy uses one.

• Banned
OP
N
Two more noob questions

Is there going to be a large difference between how my loads developed in the summer perform in 15 degree weather in December?

Also is it advisable to just spring for the northwest version so I'm 50 state legal? I'm not planning on hunting those states, but I'm not real savvy on any states particular black powder laws.

bowhnt

Lil-Rokslider
FYI Gander Mountain classifies muzzleloaders as part of the same catergory as powder and bullets... they are selling all of their muzzleloaders for half off right now. you could pick up a wolf dirt cheap or take the chance to upgrade

blackdawg

WKR
I could never shoot good groups with the Wolf, didn't balance very good, I more or less gave it away,, I upgraded to the Cva Accura V2 LR,, this gun shoots! That Wolf cost me a few bucks, the LR is sho nuff poison on em. If getting a CVA, I would recommend the Bergera barreled models. The 209 primer models are the way to go if you don't primarily hunt in NW legal states IMHO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
I've had 3 wolf's, 3 Optima's 2 Accura V2's, and 3 Accura MR's which is what I have now. Every single one of them shot good and I could see no difference in accuracy.

All CVA barrels are made in the Bergara factory on the same machines and the same employees. The only difference in the barrels marked Bergara is they have a couple of extra steps in polishing. It didn't seem to add anything to accuracy and you get the same polishing by shooting the gun.

Thomas11

WKR
I just bought a T/c impact. It's like a $250 gun. It shot 1"inch group at 100 yards first time out. Very pleased so far

Bar

Banned
The only problem with some TC's is they don't like to shoot conicals. Not all of them, but some. That's a problem if you hunt a state like Colorado which is conicals only.

Wolf in blue/black can be found for $169. Hard to beat that for getting into muzzleloaders cheap.

Osprey

Lil-Rokslider
I've had 3 wolf's, 3 Optima's 2 Accura V2's, and 3 Accura MR's which is what I have now. Every single one of them shot good and I could see no difference in accuracy.

I was looking at getting the Accura MR. I assume since your location says CO you have expereince with it using open sights? Does the MR preform good with both open sights and scope as far as feel and alingment with the sights? Also if you have used it with a scope wondering how good of groups your gettig with that rifle at 200 yds, I've heard its pretty darn accurate to 200.

Bar

Banned
First off I have to tell you I have a handicap license (vision) that allows me to use a scope in muzzy season. The Accura MR is not made for open sights. The comb on the stock is too high and made for a scope. It's actually the Apex stock. They weren't even drilled for open sights for awhile, but the one I just bought does have a threaded hole for a front sight, but no rear sight drilling. You could use a peep sight in the rear scope holes and get them both working by shimming them up higher.

The gun is capable of a 1" group at 200yds if you have the talent to do it.

blackdawg

WKR
My hunting partner in Colorado took his MR to a gunsmith and had it drilled and tapped with Williams Peep sights. I will say about accuracy on the wolf, off the bench , plenty accurate for me, but in a hunting situation ,I struggled with that little gun trying to make a scoped shot over 50 yards, killed probably 12 with it and missed more with it than all my other rifles combined in 38 yrs of whacking stuff. The MR is a solid choice imho for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bar

Banned
The LOP on the Wolf is the same as the MR. The Wolf barrel is only 1" shorter than the MR. It shouldn't feel that bad if someone likes the MR. They even weigh the same.

OP
N
Thanks for the wealth of knowledge guys!! I got an itch up my ass to hunt mouflon on lanai. I messed up not hunting them in my years of living out there. It's hard to get stoked when ur freezer is chock full of moose and halibut and the beaches... well you know. 😂