Cheap bow press.

I have been thinking about buying a custom bow string. My bow is in dire need of a new string and the last string I put on was crap from a shop around here, I maybe had 300-400 arrows through it and I wax after I shoot everytime.
I see a couple of $40 bow presses on ebay do they work for that once every 3 years new string. Or spend $100 on Synunm bow press.
I could go to a different bow shop and spend $110 on a new string and be done or buy a custom string $70 and $40 bow press to equal the same price.

fatlander

WKR
No way I’d bet my bow, let alone my face, on the integrity of a 35 dollar eBay press.

Just switching the strings is only part of the deal. You’ve still gotta tune them before and after they’re shot in. That may or may not be a whole lot of times in and out of the press, especially since this is your first rodeo.

I’d buy a real press (LCA, Xpress, BowAconstrictor. . .), or take it to the shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nphunter

WKR
Bow Master works great, I use mine to work on my bows as well as my wife and kids. I've put several sets of strings and broken several bows all the way down with one. You have to buy split limb adapters depending on your bow as well, I'm shooting a 77lb bow and have never had a single issue.

ZDR

WKR
I recently brought a Synunm and it works well, strong/beefy design. worth the $$$.

rj2

WKR
I made one using a pipe clamp. Just bolted the base to a 2x8 and made the "limb fingers" out of oak 2x4. Can take some pics if you want, works great. Just changed my strings a few weeks ago. I routed out some of the aluminum fingers for the diy trailer jack style on a cnc table at work but have never felt the need to make one because mine works fine.

I made a cheap draw board as well just by bolting a 6" pipe one 1 end of a 2x8 and a jetski trailer winch on the other end. I have a turnbuckle and scale I can hook up in line

Felix40

WKR
I made one using a pipe clamp. Just bolted the base to a 2x8 and made the "limb fingers" out of oak 2x4. Can take some pics if you want, works great. Just changed my strings a few weeks ago. I routed out some of the aluminum fingers for the diy trailer jack style on a cnc table at work but have never felt the need to make one because mine works fine.

I made a cheap draw board as well just by bolting a 6" pipe one 1 end of a 2x8 and a jetski trailer winch on the other end. I have a turnbuckle and scale I can hook up in line

Ive been using a pipe clamp press for a few years too. Super easy to make and use.

I use a pipe clamp press with monolithic hardwood jaws as well as a homemade drawboard. They both work very well. Google them on Archery Talk for some decent photos and plans.

Rob5589

WKR
I use a Bowmaster. Works, not fast, not perfect, but gets the job done. I do need to spring for a real deal press, soon.

Jherek

Lil-Rokslider
I recently brought a Synunm and it works well, strong/beefy design. worth the $$$.
Same here..... Just got mine the other day, I was very impressed! I've been going back and forth about getting one for years, wish I wouldn't have waited so long!

Terrapin

WKR
A guy doesn’t really understand how much power is constrained in a modern bow or crossbow until he’s blown up a couple in the press. It’s flat out impressive. I feel comfortable with the X-Press and the Last Chance presses. Neither are cheap.... I’ve also seen some injuries. They weren’t cheap either.

OP
Fridaythe13th
Thank you fellow hunters, I'm still on fence I would love to work on my own bow but dont want to drop $400-500 bucks on a press that does me no good when I go elk hunting because it 20 hours away. But I have been reading about the cheap ones and the most common words I hear is "it works but it's scary". That brings me back to Synunm not $40 but not $400 seems to be the answer except it doesn't fit all bows and in 2022 I get my new bow because I get a new bow every 10 years. So well it fit my new bow????
Thank you again
Eric

87TT

WKR
Try this it works great.
If you read through the whole thread or jump to page 2, I switched to a ratchet strap instead of the chain and turn buckle. Works awesome .

fatlander

WKR
If you know how to use a bow press, you’re never 20 hours away from a bow press. In all honesty, where are you going to draw the line as to what to bring with you on a trip to work on your bow? When you start running down the list of what can (and eventually will) go wrong, you’re way better off bringing two bows that are both ready to roll than trying to bring everything you’d need to fix one.

FT13. I'm in about the same spot as you. I have been looking at the Synumn also. If I knew it would work 100% I would just go that way even if it does take longer.

Rob5589

WKR
Thank you fellow hunters, I'm still on fence I would love to work on my own bow but dont want to drop $400-500 bucks on a press that does me no good when I go elk hunting because it 20 hours away. But I have been reading about the cheap ones and the most common words I hear is "it works but it's scary". That brings me back to Synunm not $40 but not $400 seems to be the answer except it doesn't fit all bows and in 2022 I get my new bow because I get a new bow every 10 years. So well it fit my new bow????
Thank you again
Eric

Thank you again
Eric

I'd venture to say your shooting will improve more from purchasing a good press and learning how to use it and how to tune your bow than by purchasing a new bow.

What bow do you have currently?

I'm not familiar with the Synumn but some bows require very specific types of presses. It has gotten to be a selling point for me on some bows that don't require anything special. Makes things a lot easier to not worry about different adapters.