Cheap Chinese tipis.

I know. It’s not a Seek or Kifaru. I’m just dipping my toes in this world and don’t wanna drop 1k or more starting out. These caught my eye. Any other cheapskate try these out?

Top one is 189. Bottom is 260 with a full mesh liner

Thanks. Please don’t judge me
ce635b89fde0c45cdc0c5a34aec8a0ed.jpg

0cd3e8682afbd2a2075e55889ec5fc63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
C
Links to the ones I’m looking at.

I don’t disagree that SO or Kifaru is likely a better product. But for these sizes it’s $1000+. I’m looking at something for 3-4 with a stove.

WINTENT 4 Season Waterproof Teepee Tent with Stove Jack for Camping Hiking, Height 7.8FT/240CM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085DHKM8N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9XGdGbZ3B7N86?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

5-6 Person Tent Ultralight 20D Nylon Tipi Hot Tent with Fire Retardant Stove Jack for Flue Pipes with 2 Doors (Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RBNRHZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1LHdGb7ABMEA3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Moserkr

WKR
Took my American made tipi out in snow rain high winds etc many times with no issues. If you want to trust your life to made in china junk, thats your choice. Minimum ruin the tipi and hunting trip. How much does each trip cost plus a few ruined chinese tipis?? Id say it takes 1 fail before you’re about equal, and questioning life choices.

That being said, buy it, carry repair gear, and be willing to fix it instead of hunt if it fails. Maybe it wont but it takes time to build trust in gear, which is why we buy gear from trusted brands.

There are some cottage companies that make this stuff somewhere between the price of SO/Kifaru and chinese knock offs.

Links to the ones I’m looking at.

I don’t disagree that SO or Kifaru is likely a better product. But for these sizes it’s $1000+. I’m looking at something for 3-4 with a stove.

WINTENT 4 Season Waterproof Teepee Tent with Stove Jack for Camping Hiking, Height 7.8FT/240CM https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085DHKM8N/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9XGdGbZ3B7N86?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

5-6 Person Tent Ultralight 20D Nylon Tipi Hot Tent with Fire Retardant Stove Jack for Flue Pipes with 2 Doors (Grey) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08RBNRHZT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_1LHdGb7ABMEA3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I’m not ashamed of my Chinese Tipi. I sewed in the stove jack myself. I think it was about 180 including pole. This one is silnylon and very lightweight for the size.
It’s on alibaba let me know if you want more info but I’ve been super pleased with it, sorry don’t have better pics right now. 9F382C78-38F6-49D5-A82D-B69AD2307BDC.jpeg

xcutter

WKR
I bought a Luxe Mini Peak Tipi last year with the half nest. For $130 I think it is fantastic. No complaints for what I paid for it. I suggest checking them out but beware as mentioned above about there customer service not being the best. Luckily I have not had any issues with mine.

What’s that old saying? Something like.. Buy twice cry twice.. maybe it’s buy thrice cry thrice... no still doesn’t sound right I’ll get back to you

Just busting your balls proper application will determine wether it’s “cheap stuff that works” or a total pos. Take it on your float trips in the summer don’t take it on your caribou hunt next October.

Keegan

FNG
I have a cheap Chinese tipi similar to your first photo. I have used it 7 or 8 nights this last year. Snow/rain one night and stayed dry. Havent used a stove in mine yet.. The tie off points on the bottom of mine have a small plastic piece to keep tension and they kept coming loose in the wind so I took those off and just tied taut line hitch and haven't had any problems since. Its definitely not as nice quality as kifaru or seek but I would recommend it for someone who doesn't want to break the bank getting into a floorless shelter.

OP
C
Interesting thread - Up until now i thought Kifaru and Seek outside were basically your only options. I'm currently in the market for a new tent so i'm going to do some further research on this.

OP
C
I have a cheap Chinese tipi similar to your first photo. I have used it 7 or 8 nights this last year. Snow/rain one night and stayed dry. Havent used a stove in mine yet.. The tie off points on the bottom of mine have a small plastic piece to keep tension and they kept coming loose in the wind so I took those off and just tied taut line hitch and haven't had any problems since. Its definitely not as nice quality as kifaru or seek but I would recommend it for someone who doesn't want to break the bank getting into a floorless shelter.

Like this?
03f4decc4cc942a9f95ab30c3300b2ea.jpg

Keegan

FNG
Like this?
03f4decc4cc942a9f95ab30c3300b2ea.jpg

Yup, exactly that. They work fine when there isn't much wind but they kept slipping when I was antelope hunting, not horrible wind maybe 20mph gusts. I got sick of them and just cut them off.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP
C
Well im 🥲. But hopefully only once. Pulled the trigger on a SO 6 man tipi. If Lite made a bigger one than the 5 person I would have gone that route. As is I’m nervous the 6 won’t be big enough but sure I can offload it if not.