Cheap game bags

wakechase

FNG
No recommendations for cheap game bags. I don’t skimp in this department. I’ve worked my tail off to get an elk on the dirt now I want to make sure I have the best bags to let the meat properly cool off without bugs being an issue.

Wapiti1

WKR
Those are like the Alaska Game bags. Knitted stretchy material. They work, but aren't like the solid pillow case style. They weigh about a pound to two if they are as thick as the Alaska bags.

Why not spend the money? I've had one set for 7 elk, a few deer, a couple of antelope and one dall sheep. They have a couple of holes now, but are still just fine. Just rinse with a hose, then throw in the wash. Mine don't even have any stains. They are Caribou brand, but they are about the same as everyone elses.

Jeremy

As mentioned, pillow cases work great. Old bed sheets work too, you can trim your meat on it, sort your meat into piles, separate with sheet layers and then tie the whole sheet closed.

Using disposable sheets works much better than the expensive game bags when you need to leave the meat in the freezer to go on another hunt, or when you are giving meat to someone.

Last edited:

87TT

WKR
Pillow cases are good for pillows, same for sheets. Cheap game bags are just that, cheap. Real game bags though while maybe a little more expensive, work better. The are stronger and breath better. The fact that you can wash them and reuse them for years make them a no brainer. I have used my Allen brand on two elk and several deer. they look like new. I also have a large game bag I bought over twenty years ago that you can fit a large deer or small elk in whole that has been washed and used over 40 times.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
I have a mix of the Allen game bags and some kuiu ones I got on one of thier sales. The Cheaper Allen ones are actually really good, no complaints. I used to use the alaska game bags until I ended up with fly eggs on some meat that took me a bit to get out of the woods, I won’t use that style again.

ericF

WKR
If you are going during rifle season to the mountains where it will be cold, then any cheap game backs will work that can hold the weight. If you are going during Archery or earlier seasons, then yes the more expensive bags are worth it. There is nothing less fun than picking eggs off your meat once you get it out of the woods. If the insects are still active, then a quality lightweight, or cheaper and heavier weight material is necessary.

Rob5589

WKR
Allen Backcountry game bags. Good ventilation, keep bugs out, easy clean up. Amazon is where I bought mine.

Berger024

WKR
So, you don't want a thin Silcone impregnated stuff sack, cotton is better because it breathes? Just don't want blood all over the inside of pack...

11boo

WKR
So, you don't want a thin Silcone impregnated stuff sack, cotton is better because it breathes? Just don't want blood all over the inside of pack...
Yeah, It needs to breathe. Yeah, you get some blood on the pack.
I have the same cotton canvas game bags I started with years ago. They get washed and stored. The heavy cotton bags are all I’ve used since I tried the cheap light gauze ones.

Berger024

WKR
I bought a few Kuiu game bags when they had a deep clearance sale, but use them to separate gear in my pack. It would get pretty pricey getting all you need to pack an elk out. 2-3 small 5-6 medium 2-3 large. Well over $120 in game bags.

Mattg1720

FNG
Good info guys! I’m a first time hunter and want to get the best bags to protect my meat if I harvest an animal! Ordering now! (y)