Cheap game bags

I can't justify going cheap on a game bag. Even as a resident Montanan I've still got hours and thousands invested into getting an elk. A $70 of TAG bags thatll last four seasons is pretty cheap if you do the dollar cost averaging. That bag is what keeps the flies and dirt off your investment. You owe it to the animal to take care of that meat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

LostArra

WKR
I guess it depends on where you hunt and how long the meat will be in the field. I've used Allen and Alaska without any problems. As soon as the quarters are bagged up they're hauled off the mountain to a cooler. I've never had fly or bug issues where we hunt in Wyoming but that could just be location. (I hope I just didn't jinx myself.)

Blood on my pack is the least of my worries. With a meat shelf it's not inside and it washes off.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I make my own out of untreated/breathable 1.9 ounce ripstop nylon.

If you know someone that can sew well they are essentially just big stuff sacks.

Beendare

WKR
I make my own out of untreated/breathable 1.9 ounce ripstop nylon.

If you know someone that can sew well they are essentially just big stuff sacks.

___

I sew...and that fabric didn't seem like it breaths well enough.

Finding the same fabric of the good bags would be the trick...even though those don't breath all that good either.

I've thought about sourcing some good polyester fabric....that project is too low on the totem pole.

___

I just realized that Allen makes different bags. This is what I use.

I dunno about Elk, but I've put about 15 whitetail and a few antelope through a set of Allen game bags and they're awesome. I rinse them off with the hose real good and throw them in the washer with a little bleach and they're ready to go for the next round. Having said that, I did pick up some Ovis Sacks when camofire had them for I think around $40. I like the orange and reflective on them for finding in the dark, though I've not used them yet I got the Elk sized so hope to this year.

I can't justify going cheap on a game bag. Even as a resident Montanan I've still got hours and thousands invested into getting an elk. A $70 of TAG bags thatll last four seasons is pretty cheap if you do the dollar cost averaging. That bag is what keeps the flies and dirt off your investment. You owe it to the animal to take care of that meat.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

going and staying cheap on hunting equipment will get you what you pay for. failures in the elkwoods suck and always happen at the wrong time. like the shoulder strap that broke on a Chinese made pack when I was packing out my first bull for example. now it's rare that i will skimp on any of my hunting gear. we do so many different things geared toward a successful hunt, why go cheap on something that could impact the best part of your hunt?

Trial153

WKR
Allans are heavy, dont breath very well at all, that said they will work in a pinch and if cheap is you primary consideration ...that they are

Lark Bunting

Lil-Rokslider
After packing my bull boned out with cheap, cheesecloth type bags I went with Black Ovis and Kuiu bags. I like that they hold their shape better. Those cheap bags suck for boneless meat.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
___

I sew...and that fabric didn't seem like it breaths well enough.

Finding the same fabric of the good bags would be the trick...even though those don't breath all that good either.

I've thought about sourcing some good polyester fabric....that project is too low on the totem pole.

___

I was worried about that as well and tested it on a whitetail last winter. I hung the quarters in my garage and the outside dried quickly to that nice deep, dark purple. I ended up aging the quarters 10 days in the bags.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I bought a few Kuiu game bags when they had a deep clearance sale, but use them to separate gear in my pack. It would get pretty pricey getting all you need to pack an elk out. 2-3 small 5-6 medium 2-3 large. Well over $120 in game bags.
Why would you need that many bags for an elk? You can pack out an entire elk in a set of 5 bags.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Berger024

WKR
Depends on the game bag sizes I guess. I don’t personally use them. Have a few friends that bone them out and organize in the field and pack them out that way. Can’t speak for anyone else's methods.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
Allans are heavy, dont breath very well at all, that said they will work in a pinch and if cheap is you primary consideration ...that they are

Have you used the allen bags that are a copy of the caribou bags? I just weighed my caribou, kuiu, and allen bags of equal size and the allens are 1oz lighter than both the caribou and Kuiu bags. Ive used the allens along with my Kuiu and caribou bags and they seem to breath just as well. The meat in the Allen bags has always looked the same as the other two brands, even with 5hr august pack outs. In fact the fabric and weave on the allens looks and feels close to the same and let’s the same amount of air through as the caribou, and my Kuiu bags breath slightly better than either. They all dry in about the same amount of time. I’m not a fanboy of the Allen bags as you can see from my avatar, but I’ll give credit where its due and the allens are a great option for less money.

Last edited:

trevvamos

Lil-Rokslider
Dude bite the bullet and pony up for some quality bags, especially if your archery hunting. Eggs on meat is the worst

Breddoch

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the Allen bags on a couple of elk with good luck. It was late season so they weren’t long hot pack outs.

cgasner1

WKR
I’ve been running my tag bags for about 7-8 years they look brand new other than a havalon incident I even took them down one year and had them dry cleaned won’t do that again bill was almost as much as a new set. Probably had 8ish elk in them maybe couple more if you only wanna buy game bags one time spend the money otherwise after a few sets you’ll buy them anyways they are worth the coin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swede

WKR
I have hunted for well over 50 years and have never bought an expensive game bag, and have never had any spoilage, or insect eggs associated with poor bags. I have probably been associated with taking out 100 deer and elk. Allen type bags, or pillow cases work fine. I get Allen/Remington bags from Mall Wart in the winter when they are on clearance. $5.00 per pack of four quarter bags is still my limit, and yes, I wash and reuse mine.
I also pick up used pillow cases and carry them on a hunt. The best deal I got on pillow cases was by going to the local Best Western Motel and asking to buy their stained ones. I got a whole box of laundered & folded pillow cases free. They can't put a stained pillow case on a bed, so they get thrown out.
Another thing I carry in my pack are some used pantyhose. They can be used also to keep meat clean. You do not have to spend big bucks on a lot of things to be an effective and contentious elk hunter.

Last edited:
I use the .99 centers from Sportsmans. I unpack 5 of them, put them in a vacuum sealer bag, and suck the air out. Looks like an extra sandwich in my pack. A tube of gauze goes over each quarter before it comes off the animal, and it keeps dirt and flies off. Hang the quarters, and go get a couple of mules. Meat goes in manties and on the mules. If you are going for a pack frame, a simple canvas bag on the pack frame would be good enough, if you need anything at all. Would not be enough if you are boning out, but works fine for short quarters.

Rangerpants

Lil-Rokslider
I second the notion to buy a good set of fancy bags. After a few years using the cheapo cotton bags and then one year with TAGS bags, I am never going back. My TAGS ones held up to two deer and an elk this year, and look brand new after several washings. At this rate of deterioration, they will last 10 years or more.

chaza402

FNG
You get what you pay for. I use the Caribou Carnivore bags. I have two sets and both have been used on at least 7 animals (deer and elk). These bags are 5 seasons old!
Easy as it gets to clean them- 2 wash’s with just a bit of bleach and they come out looking brand new every time, just soak them in water and spray off as much of the blood and meat as possible before you give them to your HE washing machine.
I think they are $60 but you won’t have to buy a set for quite some time if you take care of them.