Cheap gun for more trigger time

Would a .243 be a poor choice? Thinking I could load something light to keep recoil more at a .223 level.

what’s ur goal with the load?

The only load I’ve found to be super good for really long range plinking is upper 20’s gr 4198 loads with 105’s..

58’s and blue dot are less recoil then 223 but I find the ES a bit high for super super serious long range work. Mine shoots almost identical POA as full house loads and well under 1” ten shot groups. Ideal sub 300 yard practice.

85gr speer spbt mirrors most 68gr bullets bc. At 12c and change pretty ideal do all low recoil bullet.

blue dot will get you where you want but a bit lower velocity, reloder 7 is pretty sweet here. Haven’t 4198 it yet or the venerable AA5744.

heading out today to do a ladder test on 4198 and 108gr eld-m.

I was pretty happy at 25 grains and 2400fps launch. Group size was sub inch off memory and es was about 25. Originally stopped there because poi was good enough for what was needed. It’s a bit dirty tho. Be nice to get more pressure on this ancient lot of powder.

OP
MuleyFever
what’s ur goal with the load?

The only load I’ve found to be super good for really long range plinking is upper 20’s gr 4198 loads with 105’s..

58’s and blue dot are less recoil then 223 but I find the ES a bit high for super super serious long range work. Mine shoots almost identical POA as full house loads and well under 1” ten shot groups. Ideal sub 300 yard practice.

85gr speer spbt mirrors most 68gr bullets bc. At 12c and change pretty ideal do all low recoil bullet.

blue dot will get you where you want but a bit lower velocity, reloder 7 is pretty sweet here. Haven’t 4198 it yet or the venerable AA5744.

heading out today to do a ladder test on 4198 and 108gr eld-m.

I was pretty happy at 25 grains and 2400fps launch. Group size was sub inch off memory and es was about 25. Originally stopped there because poi was good enough for what was needed. It’s a bit dirty tho. Be nice to get more pressure on this ancient lot of powder.

My goal is to have a rifle that is relatively inexpensive to practice with and has mild recoil. Most shooting would be done at a 300 yard range with occasional practice at a 1000 yard range but I don’t feel the need to shoot much over 500 yards at this point. Looking at cheaper brands so not expecting 1000yard accuracy. The purpose of all this is just to practice shooting and have fun. I know .223 ammo is cheaper but I can reload so that helps on ammo cost. Probably wouldn’t shoot more than a couple times a month at most so cost may not be a huge factor anyway. I’m more trying to keep up front costs down.

Twist rate will determine what bullets work..

I got plenty of rpm with the 7 twist so even at 2000fps I get decent groups and round holes through paper with 108’s.

not sure how long strings of fire you want, but if ur super concerned with only having one powder and bullet I’d pick up a ruger American 243 and shoot 105s from hornady. Run the 450 bushmaster magazine and h4350 powder. Starting loads will run in that 2550fps range at 34gr of powder. Probably will catch pressure right around the 41.5 mark..

we set up my cousin with this deal and it’s emberassing to shoot a rig that has a retail of 1500$ More and shoots no better.

Remington 700‘s will stabilize 105’s fine but I haven’t played around with lower pressures and that long of bullet. 85gr speers do fine with 15gr of blue dot but not a fan with how sloppy firing pin fit is and I’m too cheap to Bush it on a 60$ gun.

Pretty tough to burn out a barrel with 45k psi and grains of powder.

shooting reduced loads I saw no measurable erosion on a 300 win mag.

look at barrel life with 6.5x55 krag loads.. then compare it to 6.5x55se loads and barrel life.

not saying ripping spark plugs is the end all be all.

an old school shooter down in New Mexico turned me on to it. I shoulda taken better notes at times. Dudes back in the 50’s had to scrape to shoot a lot and really Had a handle on how to get bullets down range for cheap with accuracy.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
I think burning out barrels is largely over inflated when it comes to hunting / casual target rifles. It's more of a problem for competition rifles where they shoot multiple strings of shots very quickly with ammo that is hotter than the usual stuff off the shelves.

Those cheap 12fv savages are legit. I decided i wanted something in .223 to reload for (cheap, don't care about the barrel, keeps me from putting a ton of rounds through my hunting rifle while learning to reload). Picked up a 12fv a couple days ago, put a cheap used Vortex I had in the bin, and took it to the range tonight. Fired one shot after bore sighting, spun the turrets to get it close and fired a 3 shot group. ~.5 @ 50. Next 3 at 100, at about .4". Several more groups of the Hornady 55gr vmax, all under .75, with a few more sub .5. A couple of groups with the 73gr ELDM were a touch bigger, but still sub MOA. I'll get it out again this weekend and ring some steel with it. I was hoping to get to improve accuracy with reloading for this rifle, but it looks like I might have to settle for cheaper without losing anything being the main goal.
X2. I’ve had a Savage FV12 for 3 years. I paid $369 at Cabela’s and Savage was offering $100 rebate. Hard to beat a gun with a bull barrel that shoots Sub-moa out of the box at that price point. The trigger breaks at crisp 2.5 lbs and can be adjust. Really a great deal. Only down side is the super cheap plastic stock. It’s super heavy too... but that’s what I want in a bench gun anyway

Lwilliams

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve fairly fortunate enough to have quite a few nicer guns to practice with, but I run more rounds through 22lr than anything. Being able to open the door and plink pigeons at 100ish yards helps.

Attachments

• 3F43E7D6-84B3-42A1-8AD0-B91D6E627F34.jpeg
    3F43E7D6-84B3-42A1-8AD0-B91D6E627F34.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 27
OP
MuleyFever
Went to WallyWorld for some hotdogs and decided to check the guns. They have a Savage Axis 223 for $242. Tempted to grab it.

I don't know why but I have this desire for a 17HMR.

Went to WallyWorld for some hotdogs and decided to check the guns. They have a Savage Axis 223 for $242. Tempted to grab it.

I don't know why but I have this desire for a 17HMR.

buying wally’s health missiles is a bold strategy.

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
If you buy a 17 HMR, don't pick up a heavy barrel model. I purchased one years ago & had fun with it at the range, but when taking it out in the woods it was a pain to walk around with. I ended up picking up a Henry 17 HMR lever action & it's much easier to walk around with.

Those Axis rifles are said to be pretty decent shooters for what they are, also easy to change the barrel yourself if you decided to change it & plenty of aftermarket stocks for it. Can't beat it for a cheap knock around rifle.

OP
MuleyFever
Stopped at ACE for some wood chips. They have a Savage B22 magnum for $189. That's just a good price on a 22 in general. Nice gun too. Any reason to not get a 22 mag over a 22LR?

Dirt Wagon

Lil-Rokslider
Just cost in ammo same as the 17hmr, but you'll have a better performance on coyotes & other critters.

That is a good price, just pick it up and enjoy.

Bowhunter-tw

Lil-Rokslider
Also interested in 17hmr as a cheaper to shoot target/varmit gun. hard to beat 22lr price though

Stopped at ACE for some wood chips. They have a Savage B22 magnum for $189. That's just a good price on a 22 in general. Nice gun too. Any reason to not get a 22 mag over a 22LR?
22 Mag’s in general are more picky about what ammo they like and cost 4x as much to feed as .22lr.
I have both but rarely shoot the 22 Mag.
If you buy factory second bullets you can shoot a .223 for the same money and literally get more bang for your buck.

BCD

WKR
22 Mag’s in general are more picky about what ammo they like and cost 4x as much to feed as .22lr.
I have both but rarely shoot the 22 Mag.
If you buy factory second bullets you can shoot a .223 for the same money and literally get more bang for your buck.

What bullets do you like for your 223?

Kindo

WKR
I like the Ruger precision rimfire is an excellent option but also don’t buy bulk ammo, it’s crap even if super cheap. CCI standard velocity in 50rd packs for just under $3 is ok stuff and will take you out to 300 yards on 12” target.

Tikka makes one that is supposed to be pretty good as well. If you can find a CZ for under $400 it’s a great option.

My preferred ammo is Eley Target.

Also the 22 will spank you quick in wind so it’s great to learn shooting at distance with even at 100yds. It’s also pretty cool when you see the bullet drop into the target if shooting out further. Put a 10x fixed swfa scope on whatever you get, it’s cheap and you’ll dial a ton with a 22lr.

I bought myself (and my kids) a T1x .22 about 3 months ago. I've tried pretty much all average to above average ammo and it's surprisingly accurate. Just tried Federal Auto Match (the 325 rd bulk pack for $17) and it shot better than the CCI SV stuff. It was a little breezy yesterday but I had a solid 5 rd group at 100 that was about 1.1" and that was pretty repeatable and every now and then you'd have flyers which you could tell was ammo.

This was all with a suppressor on it and a older 3-9x40 Nikon scope without turrets. I think a turret scope would be awesome to play around with out to 200+.

16Bore

WKR
I’m working on a 223 CTR Frankentikka and plan to melt the barrel off this thing. One gun, one load, one DOPE, lotsa ammo.....

1B3DCAEF-D52C-44FD-A09A-F5B2129DF67F.jpeg