Cheap Packable Rain Gear

dotman

WKR
What is the best cheap stuff out there that packs well both in size and weight?

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I think it depends on where you live, in northern Idaho I go thru a lot of rain pants. Meaning it rains a lot and I rip holes in any and all rain gear because of the brush. So I have found that Cabelas space rain works the best for my situation, very packable, very cheap. If your not going to have to buy a set every other year, I would go with chugach series from Kuiu.

Ryan

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think it depends on where you live, In northern Idaho I go thru a lot of rain pants. Meaning it rains a lot and I rip holes in any and all rain gear because of the brush. So I have found that Cabelas space rain works the best for my situation, very packable, very cheap. If your not going to have to buy a set every other year, I would go with chugach series from Kuiu.

Ryan

Ryan is dead on for the asked question.

Rabbit Ranger

Lil-Rokslider
ORC Industries makes a level 6 hardshell that weighs about 15 oz for the parka (L) and 14 oz for the pant (M); not the lightest but works well if you're just sitting out a downpour glassing, etc. You definitely don't want to do any serious hiking in them as you'll get drenched in sweat. That said, the pockets on the parka open up pretty wide and act about as good a pit zips. Cheap enough to get you buy until you can save for a good quality set.

http://www.orcind.com/webstore/proddetail.asp?prod=SF2348

http://www.orcind.com/webstore/proddetail.asp?prod=SF2349

OP
D

dotman

WKR
How well does the Cabelas stuff breath? That ORC stuff is way to heavy for something that may not be used.

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Cabelas Doesn't breath very well and if breathable rain gear is what you're looking for, than the Kuiu is going to be a better option.

stephen b

WKR
+3 or is it 4 or 5 for Ryan's comment below. The Space rain does work and no it does not breath well- but it works.

As far as rain gear goes- I live and hunt in the temperate rain forests of Western Oregon- so I know a bit about rain. And I HATE rain gear; if I can get away without it by wearing DWR synthetic outerwear- then I will. I much prefer a soft shell, or a Graywolf Wolfskin outer jacket that may get wet, but does not get the next mid-layer wet. I have been out all day in the rain and not gotten my mid layer wet, by wearing the right outer DWR type layer. I will avoid wearing clammy rain wear at all costs sometimes. I almost never bring much in the way of rain gear on a back pack hunt- unless it is a Space Rain pullover, or a light eVent shell top.

But.... sometimes you need rain gear. Even though, for me if it is raining so hard that I need rain gear- it MAY be too hard for me to bow hunt in ( even though I am usually out in it all day long on a hunt- I just usually do not let it bother me). For cheap light weight packable rain gear- I usually always have a Cabela's Space Rain pullover in my pack- but I hardly ever pull it out. I usually do not use rain pants, other than some heavier Cabela's Rain Suede bibs for the late season November Blacktail hunts where I am mostly day hunting close to camp or vehicle and wt. is not a factor. usually I just use gators for my "rain" pants.

For durability issues with the Space rain ( I do not have the pants), I have put the Cabela's Space Rain pullover top between my mid layer and my outer thin layer and that helps when traversing through our jungle rain forests here. And then it holds up well and keeps you dry. If I was hunting in Alaska all the time, or I was a Guide that was using it 200 plus days a year- then my choice may be different. Then I would look hard at either the KUIU stuff, or wear some other outdoor manufacturer's eVent product for a top or a total set.

just my 2c. +

I think it depends on where you live, In northern Idaho I go thru a lot of rain pants. Meaning it rains a lot and I rip holes in any and all rain gear because of the brush. So I have found that Cabelas space rain works the best for my situation, very packable, very cheap. If your not going to have to buy a set every other year, I would go with chugach series from Kuiu.

Ryan

Last edited:

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
My space rain breathes very well after the first couple of days. Maybe because of all the holes:)

Ryan

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have used the Women's version of the cabelas dry plus Ultra (not the space) rain pants for the last 5+ seasons with great success. I have never had problems with tears or snags, even when busting brush, or after one trip where we slid a considerable distance on our hineys down a wet, grassy hill. I do usually wear knee high gaitors, so maybe that has protected them from tears?

I haven't found condensation to be too much of an issue either, although I frequently "vent" the tops of the side zippers on each side to increase airflow while I hike and then just zip them back up if I stop to glass or have a snack. Lightweight and pack up small, durable and best of all cheap-- I have seen them on sale as low as $50.

I can't speak about the matching jacket, as I have been running an eVent breathable jacket by Westcomb the last several seasons. I find I appreciate breathability more in the top than I do in the pants, but the savings on pants meant I could spend a little more on the jacket...

kamcgraw

Lil-Rokslider
I used Cabela's Space Rain in Montana this past season. I thought it worked great for the couple of short rainstorms I was in. It isn't very durable, but it was perfect for the little bit of weather I went through.

idabow

FNG
ASAT makes a packable rain gear similar to the cabelas stuff. Its around $100 for the set< I like mine but since I live in southeast Idaho which is a desert compared to Northern Idaho, I havent used it a lot and yet to tear it.

Lawnboi

WKR
I was going to get space rain till i saw how thin it is. It is scary thin!

If you want to go cheap. Russel APXg2 stuff isnt bad, i have a set of it i got when they were all buy one get one. It kept me dry, and is stretchy, but lacks pit zips. But it wasnt bad for the 100 or whatever i paid for it.

If camo dosnt matter to you, there are also other pretty reasonably priced pieces.

This year im getting KUIU and being done with it!!!!

OP
D

dotman

WKR
I just can't justify the $300 when i hunt CO, if i was in AK or WA then i would pick it up. OR and UA make some for around $100 that i'm going to pick one of those up.

OP
D

dotman

WKR
Size large but i would want an xl so i could layer under it. I think i want a non camo color so i use it more often.

I just got a 2XL Team realtree rubline gore tex pac lite jacket off of camo fire. This thing is well built and packs into its own pocket. I'll hold off on the CHugach jacket for another year as this thing is going to do the trick for colorado. Picked it up for 85 shipped

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrAP