Cheap-Pi (cheap Tipi)

Stid2677

WKR
I was researching how to make a Tipi when I stumbled on a cheap tipi. I read some of the reviews and the only real complain was it leaked at the seems, since most tents come needing seem sealed, I was not concerned about that. I just want a large area for a cook/hang out tent, so it does not need to be a bomber tipi like Kifaru and I also did not want to drop that kind of coin. This will be a motorized hunt shelter so weight was not a huge issue either. They have 2 sizes a 10x10 for $100 bucks and a 18x18 for $200 bucks to my door, from amazon. The maker is Guide Gear sold by Sportsman Guide through amazon.

Well it arrived the other day and I set it up today, it came with a floor and I had no need for that since floorless is what I like about a tipi and this will be a cook tent, so I took my hot knife and cut the floor out leaving about 4 to 6 inches for a sod flap. It has a steel main pole that I might change out to an Aluminum one, 2 windows and vents on each side and 2 doors with screens, the top is screened and vented as well.
have to say that I'm very impressed tons of room and since it is screened it will make a nice summer eating shelter that is bug free.

Going to wait and use it this summer, if it holds up I will order and sew in a stove jack for fall use.

Weight is 17 pounds in the bag with the pole and stakes after I removed the floor, (the floor was heavy)

Floor still in it.

P2120422_zps5ccfc1be.jpg

P2120424_zpsf6d4ec0b.jpg

Windows and vents.

P2120421_zps5ecd0fb1.jpg

Vents opened.

P2120428_zps5052301e.jpg

Me standing in the door for size reference.

P2120425_zps402695c1.jpg

With the doors open and the floor cut out.

P2120431_zps6ad842d7.jpg

So for those that might want to try a tipi, but are not sure. One of these might be a good way to try one out. The 10x10 for $100 dollars is a cheap way to try one, if you don't like the floor, just cut it out.

Thought I would share,, one of the cheapest shelters I have ever bought out of the 12 or so I have. :)

Steve

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Very cool Steve!!! I have wondered about those things since I saw then in the SG mags a while back. Seems like if they even last 2 seasons and need to be replaced they'd still be a heck of a bargin. Don't think I'd take it to Delta Junction alpine or anything, but for moose floats or set up in the timber and what not it could be a great inexpensive option!

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Very cool Steve!!! I have wondered about those things since I saw then in the SG mags a while back. Seems like if they even last 2 seasons and need to be replaced they'd still be a heck of a bargin. Don't think I'd take it to Delta Junction alpine or anything, but for moose floats or set up in the timber and what not it could be a great inexpensive option!

I agree Mr Luke,, not up for your spot in the hills. :)

Becca

Super Moderator
Staff member
Pretty neat Steve, excited to hear how it works for ya. That's a pretty good bargain if it holds up...

I agree Mr Luke,, not up for your spot in the hills. :)

That was likely the windiest, frostiest experience EVER! :)

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
For $100 bucks that thing looks awesome! I might get one just for the kids to play in, or have a little more room at a base camp. How long does it take to set up?

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
For $100 bucks that thing looks awesome! I might get one just for the kids to play in, or have a little more room at a base camp. How long does it take to set up?

The one I got is the 18x18 so it cost 200 dollars, it took as maybe 5 minutes,, spread it out stake it down and raise the main pole. Much easier than tents that have to have all the poles assembled and threaded through the tent.

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
With you standing in front of it, it sure doesn't look 18x18. Have you measured it? 18x18 is huge, but at 6'6" that 9"6" center height does sound better.

I did measure it, I tried to set it inside my fenced 12 x 16 yard and it would not fit. :) It is large,, the camera angle makes it look smaller, check out the videos on youtube.

I think we've all wondered about these. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts about it after a season of use. I wonder about condensation issues. Are you going to install a stove jack, I would assume so.
Keep us posted.
Hunt'nFish

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
I think we've all wondered about these. It'll be interesting to hear your thoughts about it after a season of use. I wonder about condensation issues. Are you going to install a stove jack, I would assume so.
Keep us posted.
Hunt'nFish

The way it is vented I'm sure it will be no worse than other tipis I have used and maybe even better. If it survives the summer. I will sew a stove jack into it. I might beef up the tie down point at the same time and maybe use a stronger nylon. But like I said,, it is a lot for the money. Would I use it as my only shelter,, no, but a good place to cook, store gear and hang out.

brunse

Lil-Rokslider
Please update us after you seam seal it and check it out in the rain!!

OP
Stid2677

Stid2677

WKR
Please update us after you seam seal it and check it out in the rain!!

Should give it a good work out this summer. I will know by fall if it is worth sewing a stove jack into. Will update the thread then.

husky390

WKR
Subscribing. This might replace my Cabelas tent that is on its last leg. If I get one, my wife will be disappointed that she'll miss the "Donald Duck" show of me trying to get all the poles together and upright with that Cabelas tent.

colonel00

WKR
Hey Steve, did you ever get this thing out and use it? Just curious as to how it held up.