Cheap-Pi (cheap Tipi)

Stid2677, wondering if you ever put this thing through the paces and what kind of feedback you've got on it. I'm looking for a large tipi style tent to use as a base camp and can't help but consider this, if it's adequate, you couldn't beat it for the price.

Yep had a couple the last few years. Replaced the steel stakes and pole with aluminum and its lighter than my SO with floor still in! Even put a stove jack in. When the seems leaked the floor kind of sucks because the water pooled but I just poked holes in the low spots so the water could drain. Better vents than any other teepee I've been in. Pretty sweet shelter for the money.

I've used mine twice, and it's a palace for my girlfriend and the two dogs. I also replaced the steel stakes and would like to install a stove jack. Recognizing that it has it's limitations, it was money well spent.

KJH

WKR
I bought one of those a few years ago and have done a ton of modifications to it to get it to my liking. It makes a great truck camping tent for some really remote Canadian waterfowl hunts. The weight sort of precludes it from being a great backcountry tent. I can tell you that mine stands up to snow and wind just fine.

Some of the modifications I've done: Cut out the floor, added a large stove jack, reinforced the guy points, added more guy points in selected areas, sewn in some tie-offs inside for better closelines, added a semi-vestibule to really keep the rain out of the door, sewn on a few reflectors so its easy to find coming back to camp from a long ways off, and a different pole that I can hang things from and to steady the stovepipe. Might be a few more, but that's what comes to mind. I like DIY modifying...

They are worth what you pay for them. As long as you super duper waterproof it, it will be a good tent. I've since bought a better tipi that is very lightweight, but for camping near the truck you can't beat this thing. I prefer it to a canvas wall tent for only 2-3 guys because its so easy to put up and take down.

365buckin

FNG
I bought one of those a few years ago and have done a ton of modifications to it to get it to my liking. It makes a great truck camping tent for some really remote Canadian waterfowl hunts. The weight sort of precludes it from being a great backcountry tent. I can tell you that mine stands up to snow and wind just fine.

Some of the modifications I've done: Cut out the floor, added a large stove jack, reinforced the guy points, added more guy points in selected areas, sewn in some tie-offs inside for better closelines, added a semi-vestibule to really keep the rain out of the door, sewn on a few reflectors so its easy to find coming back to camp from a long ways off, and a different pole that I can hang things from and to steady the stovepipe. Might be a few more, but that's what comes to mind. I like DIY modifying...

They are worth what you pay for them. As long as you super duper waterproof it, it will be a good tent. I've since bought a better tipi that is very lightweight, but for camping near the truck you can't beat this thing. I prefer it to a canvas wall tent for only 2-3 guys because its so easy to put up and take down.
Do you have any pictures of your tent with the mods?