Cheap Stuff that Works

Frogg Togg rain gear

imusa cook pot!
Do you have the Ultralite Frogg Toggs jacket? It's like 15 bucks on Amazon and 5 ounces.
Does it keep you dry? I'm on the hunt for something lighter since my other jacket stays in my pack all week aside from maybe 30 minutes on an afternoon storm.
I'm fine with sacrificing durability and breathability just to keep something light in my pack. If forecast looks rough I'll bring my regular jacket.

Hobby and children’s toy store selll all sorts of cheap, useful items such as glow-in-the-dark 550 cord., bandanas, cheap and white caps, and miniature toys with blinking lights. The blinking lights are useful to relocate downed game in the dark .

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Bleach in eye dropper bottles to use to clean water is something I’ve done several times. Works well just paint the bottle black to make sure no one uses in eyes.

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Walmart shopping bags over your hands to cut wind while you use your trekking poles. Life savers for me! I use layer over hands like military wool glove liners, istoner cheap mittens over those glove liners. Only things I’ve ever used that keeps my hands really warm!! Add over plastic shopping bags to shed water and cut wind and man I’m good to go. Bring extra for Rips.

fmyth

WKR
If anyone needs boots for early season Sierra.com has the Salomon Quest Prime Gore-Tex Boots for $99 and free shipping. These don't have a great reputation for longevity or for long lasting waterproof but they should be great for an archery season and some hiking casual wear.

Frazier

FNG
Pack cover.

Got caught in a hour long downpour this week on a training hike. I wasn’t worried about getting wet as it was a crisp 92 degrees out so the rain was welcome. I had about $2000 worth of electronics in my pack though.

I picked up a Kryptek pack cover on camofire for $19. It kept my pack 100% dry. I’m sure there’s a cheaper one out there but it’s a cheap investment for good protection of your gear.

its on camofire every couple weeks

blgoode

Lil-Rokslider
Pack cover.

Got caught in a hour long downpour this week on a training hike. I wasn’t worried about getting wet as it was a crisp 92 degrees out so the rain was welcome. I had about $2000 worth of electronics in my pack though.

I picked up a Kryptek pack cover on camofire for $19. It kept my pack 100% dry. I’m sure there’s a cheaper one out there but it’s a cheap investment for good protection of your gear.

its on camofire every couple weeks
I try and use ziploc bags inside for items like that. Added reassurance.

coohio1854

Lil-Rokslider
For clothing options that are cheaper alternatives to expensive hunting brands I have been experimenting with the Prana Stretch Zions and Eddie Bauer guide pros. Wow they are amazing for early season. 1/2 the price of the big western hunting companies. They are not as quiet as the KUIU attacks or Corrugate guides but man they are lightweight and at an affordable price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tnguy22

FNG
like all the ideas and am going to follow. I can second the Wrangler outdoor pants from Walmart.