Cheap Stuff that Works

Big.lou

FNG
3FUL makes reasonably priced and functional trekking pole tents (Lanshan 1 and Lanshan 2), Naturehike tents like the CloudUp2 are heavier but similar in design to much more expensive tents (Big Agnes Fly Creek), Paria Outdoors also makes affordable backpacking gear.

Opinel carbon no.8 pocket knife, one of the best $15 you can spend

Glow sticks from the toys section, coming in all sizes. The little ones are great for marking guy lines. The bigger ones are are like $17 for a 50 pack on Amazon.

I like a red led flashlight to save the night vision when you turn it off (and for around horses)

3D leafy bug suit makes any normal day to day solid color gear just fine for hunting

I pour water in a 4" deep square baking tin to create ice blocks for the cooler. Way cheaper than buying ice and lasts much longer.
I freeze gallon milk jugs to fill my cooler then open up a couple plastic contractor bags to kinda fill the voids dont open the lid until its time to put meat in. I use the frozen milk jugs in the beverage/food cooler to and have nice cold water to drink as the ice melts.

86indy

Lil-Rokslider
For the tree stand hunter .72 cent great value baking soda. I use it sparingly as foot powder to eliminate foot odor and help keep my feet dry. Its also great to brush with after tooth paste (with hydrogen peroxide) to remove the minty freshness and return to a neutral(ish) taste.

May have been mentioned haven’t read everything- cut finger holes in old socks for wrist gaiters,plastic grocery sacks for goretex saved my 6yr olds feet on a wet hike with crappy kids winter boots.
I saved a hunt once by straight up using socks for gloves. Long story but I totally forgot gloves for an quick truck hunt to catch the end of the season. I arrived after dark, slept in the truck, realized the next morning I'd forgotten gloves and it was six degrees. Thick pair of socks and hunted all day.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
ULine Squeeze bottle with baby powder makes a great wind checker:
Only 72 cents, Amazon you can buy 50 & give em to all your buddies for $12-$15.

Igloo 120 QT Cooler:
Took a black bear from New Brunswick to Illinois (two full day trip) and meat & hide stayed cold til the third day to the taxidermist. I also froze used poweraid bottles, used frozen 2 liter bottles, & any other plastic jug to pre-cool the cooler. For $65 it is way less expensive than a $500+ plus Yeti.

Last edited:

Spike elk

WKR
ULine Squeeze bottle with baby powder makes a great wind checker:
Only 72 cents, Amazon you can buy 50 & give em to all your buddies for $12-$15.

Igloo 120 QT Cooler:
Took a black bear from New Brunswick to Illinois (two full day trip) and meat & hide stayed cold til the third day to the taxidermist. I also froze used poweraid bottles, used frozen 2 liter bottles, & any other plastic jug to pre-cool the cooler. For $65 it is way less expensive than a $500+ plus Yeti.

Buy a bottle of chalkline refill from your local hardware store to fill those bottles up and you will really have a cheap wind checker.

Poor mans scent crusher closet .... $100 vs $350 for name brand... ozone machine can double duty when needed elsewhere, apartment rentals etc.
DB70FEE9-B37B-4DC1-BA4A-655D2B99008B.png
943A83D4-3B22-45E1-ACFF-ED2C986AF840.png

For the tree stand hunter .72 cent great value baking soda. I use it sparingly as foot powder to eliminate foot odor and help keep my feet dry. Its also great to brush with after tooth paste (with hydrogen peroxide) to remove the minty freshness and return to a neutral(ish) taste.
I wash all my hunting clothes in it too does a great defunk

Mosby

WKR
Foam seat cushions. I prefer the blaze orange so I don't leave it behind. I just got a couple more at a Fleet Farm for under $8. For extremely cold weather, I have one that I duck taped reflectix to one side to sit on. Looks ghetto but it helps to retain heat.

Attachments

• 1614794646366.png
    1614794646366.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 140

Ivanmania

FNG
This thread is awesome. Ive got carpal tunnel scrolling through and seeing all the good ideas lol.

Icebreaker socks are really good. If you get a hole in them, bring them back to their shop and they'll give you a new pair!

Poor mans scent crusher closet .... $100 vs $350 for name brand... ozone machine can double duty when needed elsewhere, apartment rentals etc.
View attachment 270212
View attachment 270209

I’ve done this exact thing for over 2 years and it’s amazing how easy it is to keep stuff scent free. Plus the generator can be moved to anywhere else you may need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastMT

WKR
Black athletic tape for silencing metal parts... From flashlights to zipper pulls to squeaky slings. But maybe that is just me and my other cheap crap!

Anybody say electrical tape over the muzzle yet?

Milkweed seeds for checking wind direction.

Yes sir, I always tape the muzzle. My
Dad refused to, until this year. He went to rack a round and there was a small twig that had fallen into his barrel while hiking! Luckily it slid far enough that the bolt wouldn’t close. Odds of that happening again? Slim, but now he’s on board with the tape

I’ve done this exact thing for over 2 years and it’s amazing how easy it is to keep stuff scent free. Plus the generator can be moved to anywhere else you may need it.

Yup, I bought my ozone generator to take out smoke smell after stove top fire. Worked amazing . It’s capable of large residential space scent removal, so deodorizing a bunch of hunting clothes in a a wardrobe closet is an easy task. Actually hard to imagine the name brands as good.

go_deep

WKR
Foam seat cushions. I prefer the blaze orange so I don't leave it behind. I just got a couple more at a Fleet Farm for under $8. For extremely cold weather, I have one that I duck taped reflectix to one side to sit on. Looks ghetto but it helps to retain heat.
I was in Walmart the other day, they had these on clearance for $1. I bought they last 2 they had, they have many uses!

CCH

WKR
Yes sir, I always tape the muzzle. My
Dad refused to, until this year. He went to rack a round and there was a small twig that had fallen into his barrel while hiking! Luckily it slid far enough that the bolt wouldn’t close. Odds of that happening again? Slim, but now he’s on board with the tape

I forgot to do this on my oldest son's first late season elk hunt. He had a limited range limit and we put on a lot of stalks in snow covered sage in order to get close enough. Crawling through several inches of snow has its challenges for a 12 year old. I had to clear his barrel multiple times that day, but he ended up with his elk. Now we run tape even if it seems like clear conditions. Get 3M if you want to feel swanky about your product.