Cheap Stuff that Works

as.ks.ak

WKR
Any wind resistance to this Swazi Hood?

There is a wind resistance, but certainly not wind-proof. @aa_smith11 has more time with a hood than I do (and likely in worse conditions) and he can provide more empirical evidence here.

At 210 I'm not much heavier (and assuming bulkier) than you and I'd be swimming in an XL. I'd go L if I were you.

It’s basically a thick fleece...it’s not a wind stopper but with the right layering underneath it’s damn warm. I wore it while we butchered a goat this fall on an exposed hillside and it was perfect. Kept the heat in. Pushed the moisture out. I love the long tail so much. It goes down below my pant line when strapping the pack on. None of that pack hip belt pushing my pant belt down anymore. Truly love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moose83

Lil-Rokslider
The Swazi Nahanni jacket has a wind blocker layer in it, in the core area. It is a fairly heavy jacket tho compared to the hood. I wore mine as my outer layer here for the last 3 days during our short moose season with only a thin merino layer and helly Hanson synthetic layer. Was toasty warm in temps down to around -7-8 degrees Celsius. Also a huge fan of the long tail cut.

Voyageur

WKR
My tent, but my hunting buddy’s brilliant idea...we cut and capped a piece of irrigation PVC to fit over the tipi’s pole and use it as a ‘clothesline’ for drying gear out overnight. We drilled holes for pegboard hooks to hang gear from.

Almost no weight and it doesn’t cause ‘wall-sag, from the weight of clothes.

Great idea. What keeps the pipe from sliding down the center pole?

At COSTCO in BC they have Duracell 3-packs of headlights. In about 10 days of use, I am really satisfied with them. 3 @ AAA Alkaline batteries for each headlight are included. The lights are >500 candle power as a multi-bulb spot, but adjust down as well. They also have a red bulb and a separate switch to turn on a very wide angle flood system. Hold both switches down for 3 seconds and the light is locked until you hold the switches down for 3 additional seconds. They were $28 C plus tax for the three (should be $21 US if available down there. I like them a whole lot better than my 2 or 3 year old Black Diamond storm that has a single tricky switch and about half the illumination and cost $50 US vs the Duracells at $9 ea.

Not sure if they are available in the US or not?

At COSTCO in BC they have Duracell 3-packs of headlights. In about 10 days of use, I am really satisfied with them. 3 @ AAA Alkaline batteries for each headlight are included. The lights are >500 candle power as a multi-bulb spot, but adjust down as well. They also have a red bulb and a separate switch to turn on a very wide angle flood system. Hold both switches down for 3 seconds and the light is locked until you hold the switches down for 3 additional seconds. They were $28 C plus tax for the three (should be $21 US if available down there. I like them a whole lot better than my 2 or 3 year old Black Diamond storm that has a single tricky switch and about half the illumination and cost $50 US vs the Duracells at $9 ea.

Yes, they are in the states. Think they’re on sale right now for $15

KBC

WKR
I almost picket those up yesterday. Maybe I'll grab some if I head back for more ribs. St. Louis cut ribs are $15 off per package for the next couple days. $10-$15 CAD for 2 racks of ribs is crazy.
Back to the gear stuff though, Costco in Abbotsford BC had 3 packs of life straws for about $45 CAD as well.

I'm looking for a sheath for it now. If it'll hold an edge it will be going with me in my pack. If not I will keep it in my camp box for boning out back at camp.
Not a traditional sheath, but for protecting my pack (and fingers) I picked up this "bladesafe" when I ordered the victorinox knife. It fits perfect and is snug enough that I trust it rattling around in my kill kit.

WyoKid

WKR
Vaseline soaked Cotten balls inside a dip can with a mini bic lighter. Always have a fire
Yep...agree...use true cotton balls with vaseline and carry 2 lighters and hurricane matches for backup. Cotton and vaseline is cheap and works well for damp conditions.

Voyageur

WKR
Yep...agree...use true cotton balls with vaseline and carry 2 lighters and hurricane matches for backup. Cotton and vaseline is cheap and works well for damp conditions.
Also agree on the vaseline soaked cotton balls. This variation may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'll describe it anyway. I buy the large size pixie straws and cut them into approximately 4" lengths. After soaking a bunch of cotton balls with vaseline I stuff two of the cotton balls into each straw. Next I seal each end of the straw/tube by pinching it shut with a needle nose pliers and then melting the very edge shut with a miniature propane torch. To use I just peel a tube open with my neck knife and fluff a bit of the cotton out while still leaving about half of it in the straw. I put the opened straw at the base of my kindling, put fire to it, and it easily ignites. Very light weight and most importantly reliable. If I remember correctly I got this idea off the Kifaru forum several years ago.

WyoKid

WKR
Also agree on the vaseline soaked cotton balls. This variation may have been mentioned earlier in this thread, but I'll describe it anyway. I buy the large size pixie straws and cut them into approximately 4" lengths. After soaking a bunch of cotton balls with vaseline I stuff two of the cotton balls into each straw. Next I seal each end of the straw/tube by pinching it shut with a needle nose pliers and then melting the very edge shut with a miniature propane torch. To use I just peel a tube open with my neck knife and fluff a bit of the cotton out while still leaving about half of it in the straw. I put the opened straw at the base of my kindling, put fire to it, and it easily ignites. Very light weight and most importantly reliable. If I remember correctly I got this idea off the Kifaru forum several years ago.
I like the straw idea for my survival kit. For my pack I just put mine in a small ziploc (the kind used for beads and jewelery that is 2x3) as it holds about 9 soaked cotton balls in a flat package. The extra vaseline on the cotton also works for lip balm.

Hey guys I looked all over and lots of people like the m65 pant liners but I could not find how packable they are. Mine just came in and they are medium Long size. They fit into a stuff sac about 6”x8”. Probably could get a little smaller if you had compression straps. I would say they are pretty packable.

Hey guys I looked all over and lots of people like the m65 pant liners but I could not find how packable they are. Mine just came in and they are medium Long size. They fit into a stuff sac about 6”x8”. Probably could get a little smaller if you had compression straps. I would say they are pretty packable.

Great info. Did u order the waist true to size or the next size up?

Great info. Did u order the waist true to size or the next size up?

I am usually a 32 in jeans. I got the medium long pants and I think they work well over top my jeans and belt I was wearing at the time. They were not super tight but not super loose in the waist either. I could see if I was gonna hike in them I maybe would want to sew in some type of draw string or something. But for glassing I think it’s perfect.

Michael54

WKR
I got my swazi hood yesterday. Im a 2x tall and a 2x fits loose enough that i can layer underneath it. This thing is comfortable. Will definitely have to put a windbreak of some sort over it

Michael54

WKR

I've used this extensively as a midlayer and really love it. If it had a hood it'd be unbeatable. You can occasionally find them for ~$12ish dollars on that site.
I just bought the killick version of this from sportsmans. It doesn't have the thumbholes in the sleeves though