Cheap Stuff that Works

This might be “too cheap” for this thread, but one I find seriously helpful.

As soon as I buy any type of pouch or anything with a zipper, I use the long $5 p-cord to cut off a 8” piece (approximate) to make these tiny little zippers high-vis and easy to grab with gloves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• 7063FAD4-24A8-40E7-9634-6E2352BDEEFB.jpeg
    7063FAD4-24A8-40E7-9634-6E2352BDEEFB.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 137

Michael54

WKR

As soon as I buy any type of pouch or anything with a zipper, I use the long $5 p-cord to cut off a 8” piece (approximate) to make these tiny little zippers high-vis and easy to grab with gloves.

Im not the only one then...🤣

Voyageur

WKR

I like ideas of this sort. Thanks for sharing.

Ranger619

WKR

I do this too, but I have started using the reflective orange Paracord form Paracord Planet.

Carr5vols

WKR
I just bought the killick version of this from sportsmans. It doesn't have the thumbholes in the sleeves though
I ran one this year in wyoming during the snow storm in the bighorns... hard to beat for the price. Held up well and is warm. Definitely buy again...

sram9102

WKR

I like heat shrinking them also, keeps them from snagging on stuff.

EastMT

WKR
Ok I hate to do this to you guys, but I just discovered a new Victorinox knife, one even I don’t have.

4” blade folding paring knife, 1.5oz $17

I haven’t tried it yet, but will be getting one soon!
372d712df4481127ee0685b27284ac78.jpg

Sling saddle by creed outdoors, used it for the first time this week great no more hassling with rifle sling sliding down shoulder pads. Amazon about $19 bucks shipped.

Michael54

WKR
Ok I hate to do this to you guys, but I just discovered a new Victorinox knife, one even I don’t have.

4” blade folding paring knife, 1.5oz $17

I haven’t tried it yet, but will be getting one soon!
372d712df4481127ee0685b27284ac78.jpg

The victorinox poultry knife is my all time favorite bird and trout knife and only costs $10 in blaze orange. My buddy made me up a kydex sheath for it and that little sucker goes everywhere with me. I always keep 2 around that way if i lose one i have a backup for two days until the new one shows up.Screenshot_20201109-001112_Amazon Shopping.jpg

The victorinox poultry knife is my all time favorite bird and trout knife and only costs $10 in blaze orange. My buddy made me up a kydex sheath for it and that little sucker goes everywhere with me. I always keep 2 around that way if i lose one i have a backup for two days until the new one shows up.View attachment 230775

Two days?! Hell the way Amazon is going with my deliveries, I’m lucky if it’s here in a week haha

Michael54

WKR
Two days?! Hell the way Amazon is going with my deliveries, I’m lucky if it’s here in a week haha
Im usually still good 2 days on most prime eligible stuff. However if its not prime eligible.....my swazi hood was ordered a week after my cutting board and the hoodie was here last week.....still waiting on the cutting board

Not everything should cost an arm and a leg. Post any inexpensive stuff you’d recommend that just flat works.

I’ll start with a Mora 711. ~4.5 oz with sheath, easy to sharpen (and resharpen in field), and the textured rubberized grip is fantastic. Easy to grip and your hand doesn’t tire after several hours of boning.

$15

228ccc3d794989a4daff06c8af9b3ead.jpg

Heavy duty window shrink wrap - makes a great meat tarp or even a groundsheet. With some duct tape you could probably rig an emergency shelter.

6 oz for a 5’ x 10’ sheet, can be cut to size.

$7.94

7a49c143892f0f40c412fc01231edfd6.jpg

What a great thread!

TheGDog

WKR
Big Fan of NEBO Rechargeable lights! They now have the Mycro (Head lamp) and the TORCHY (handheld with a clip for cap visor). USB Rechargeables with Lithium Ion. These work great for the hike-in and hike-out and have helped me seriously reduce my batteries expense. And they are light weight too!

I still bring a regular Black Diamond Headlamp as well with some extra batteries, just for extra safety

I rarely if ever used the brightest settings any lamp has. I'm always cautious and use a setting with just enough light so I can get that super long runtime... just in case.. ya know?

Anyhoo... seriously check out these two products. I end up using em all the time since they are soo small!

lkwoolsey

WKR
Well, went to get a set of those Wranglers everyone keeps talking about, my Walmart has a stack of them in all sizes and colors. Only problem is, gonna have to take them back, I've got big thighs and a big butt, and in the crotch and butt area they fit like yoga pants, even though the waist leaves me room to carry my IWB off duty gun and extra mag lol. The search continues.

For guys just starting out (and seasoned hunters as well) I’ve found that “Play It Again Sports “ is an excellent source for used packs , camping , and mountaineering gear . A lot of it was used once or twice then sat in somebody’s closet or garage . I got a really nice pack for $60 that looked brand new . You never know what you might find because their inventory is always different . If you check in to see what they’ve got fairly often, you can come up on a Killer deal

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
For guys just starting out (and seasoned hunters as well) I’ve found that “Play It Again Sports “ is an excellent source for used packs , camping , and mountaineering gear . A lot of it was used once or twice then sat in somebody’s closet or garage . I got a really nice pack for $60 that looked brand new . You never know what you might find because their inventory is always different . If you check in to see what they’ve got fairly often, you can come up on a Killer deal

I've always wished there was a hunting and fishing version of play-it-again sports! There are so many good pieces of gear I've bought over the years that after 2-3 hunts I realize it doesn't quite work in my system etc. There is a goldmine of great lightly used gear sitting in peoples closets!