Cheap Stuff that Works

Voyageur

WKR
Well, went to get a set of those Wranglers everyone keeps talking about, my Walmart has a stack of them in all sizes and colors. Only problem is, gonna have to take them back, I've got big thighs and a big butt, and in the crotch and butt area they fit like yoga pants, even though the waist leaves me room to carry my IWB off duty gun and extra mag lol. The search continues.
Same story here.

Voyageur

WKR
I've always wished there was a hunting and fishing version of play-it-again sports! There are so many good pieces of gear I've bought over the years that after 2-3 hunts I realize it doesn't quite work in my system etc. There is a goldmine of great lightly used gear sitting in peoples closets!
Right there is a legitimate business idea for one of you young guys...

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Grabber brand tarp. Cheap, durable, reflective, water proof. Use it more as a ground cover than a shelter.

Of course, zip locks and trash bags for water proofing and organization.

Voyageur

WKR
Big Fan of NEBO Rechargeable lights! They now have the Mycro (Head lamp) and the TORCHY (handheld with a clip for cap visor). USB Rechargeables with Lithium Ion. These work great for the hike-in and hike-out and have helped me seriously reduce my batteries expense. And they are light weight too!

I still bring a regular Black Diamond Headlamp as well with some extra batteries, just for extra safety

I rarely if ever used the brightest settings any lamp has. I'm always cautious and use a setting with just enough light so I can get that super long runtime... just in case.. ya know?

Anyhoo... seriously check out these two products. I end up using em all the time since they are soo small!
The NEBO lights look like good gear. Do you use your Mycro clipped to your cap bill or do you have a head band for it?
Incidentally, I went to the NEBO website and they are having sales all this month.

For guys just starting out (and seasoned hunters as well) I’ve found that “Play It Again Sports “ is an excellent source for used packs , camping , and mountaineering gear . A lot of it was used once or twice then sat in somebody’s closet or garage . I got a really nice pack for $60 that looked brand new . You never know what you might find because their inventory is always different . If you check in to see what they’ve got fairly often, you can come up on a Killer deal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a great idea @Buckshot51 . Imma have to check out the stores near me. I'd imagine the time of year plays a major role as to what's available. Like probably not a huge run on large packs in the middle of winter as they'd have in spring or summer

TheGDog

WKR
The NEBO lights look like good gear. Do you use your Mycro clipped to your cap bill or do you have a head band for it?
Incidentally, I went to the NEBO website and they are having sales all this month.
I keep the headband on it because sometimes when doing the hike-out... since it's night time, and the bugs are mostly gone now... if it's hot.. I might just elect to not even wear a hat at all so my shaved head can shunt heat for me. Also.. I typically wear a leafy boonie hat, rather than a cap. They're much more comfortable.

T3clay

Lil-Rokslider
I've always wished there was a hunting and fishing version of play-it-again sports! There are so many good pieces of gear I've bought over the years that after 2-3 hunts I realize it doesn't quite work in my system etc. There is a goldmine of great lightly used gear sitting in peoples closets!
Sportsman’s Rack in Rochester MN. Is exactly that, basically a pawn shop for outdoorsmen. Great place, lots of my gear comes from there!

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but I buy $1 bright orange picnic table covers from the dollar store and they weigu a few oz and work awesome as a tarp or ground sheet for game bags in dirt/muddy areas, as well as a large bright panel in the event I ever needed to signal search and rescue helicopters.

RussGS

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had great luck with cheap Mountainsmith trekking poles. I have thought about getting a higher end pair, but won’t do it until I need new ones. These cheap ones, they just won’t die
These have been great for me. A couple of times I have considered lighter weight trekking poles, but the weight saving is not worth the cost to me.

LeftSlope

FNG
1. Mossy Oak Seat Cushion $5.
Best glassing pad money can buy for $5 at almost any Walmart. I have have a few of these and I swear by them, especially when it's cold out or there's snow on the ground. The pad I have is dark brown but this black colored version is the only color listed on the Walmart website. Weighs virtually nothing, and if you lose it there's no love loss for a $5 investment.

2. Sling Hook $23.
Although not technically "cheap" it flat out works! Genius concept for guys who spend a lot of time hiking with their rifle. Keeps your rifle from sliding off your shoulder and doesn't interfere with your pack. *I will say the sling hook works best on heavier padded straps. I run one on my Mystery Ranch Metcalf and it works flawlessly. Saw one on a buddies 'less robust' pack and it did not perform as well bc the shoulder pad wanted to roll over bc of lack of support.

Attachments

• 1606473762229.png
    1606473762229.png
    336 KB · Views: 224
  • 1606474037752.png
    1606474037752.png
    795.5 KB · Views: 229

TheGDog

WKR
@TheGDog
Good recommendation! I ordered the Nebo Torchy and have to say it is a versatile little light. Thanks for the heads up.
Something to note is that when using it on your cap to light the trail... keep in mind that if a bug zips into your eyes or ears and you react instinctively and shake your head strongly... the light can get flung off from the visor. So try to remember to instead reach your hand up for shoo'ing it away.

BTW, hope you also ordered the MYCRO headlamp too! They're bleepin' awesome for out there. Don't weigh anything. Even has Red and Green LED's in it to for those last yards as you're approaching your ambush spot.

Voyageur

WKR
Something to note is that when using it on your cap to light the trail... keep in mind that if a bug zips into your eyes or ears and you react instinctively and shake your head strongly... the light can get flung off from the visor. So try to remember to instead reach your hand up for shoo'ing it away.

BTW, hope you also ordered the MYCRO headlamp too! They're bleepin' awesome for out there. Don't weigh anything. Even has Red and Green LED's in it to for those last yards as you're approaching your ambush spot.
Sound advice

ThermoPop​

small black meat thermometer $34

make great gifts too

dot is for the longer cooks $34 on sale

B89BBE23-F356-42BE-B621-DACD896CFF35.jpeg

TheGDog

WKR
2. Sling Hook $23.
Although not technically "cheap" it flat out works!

Glad to hear this as I just recently ordered one! So hopefully between this and the Quake-Claw sling I should be good to go now. The Quake-Claw sling is tops in my book. There's only very few instances where it allows the weapon to move. So hopefully with the addition of this little thing we should be straight now!