Cheap Stuff that Works

BamuleyID

FNG
I hear a lot of guys talking about leuko tape for blisters...pro tip, use duct tape. Way cheaper per usage! Also, in place of a sam splint, throw in 1 or 2 chunks of cardboard. The same idea, once taped/wrapped does just as good! I work rodeos for medical coverage and we use this all the time!

Alps Outdoorz Commander X pack and frame. Typically you pay 6-700 dollars for a pack the comes with less stuff included than this pack. I used it elk hunting in Idaho and it worked great. Little on the small side for a 10 day backpack hunt but I made it work. I am actually looking to sell mine. In excellent condition.

DMack

FNG
It's been mentioned black electrical tape to protect your rifle barrel but want to mention a great alternative that is reusable, the Bore Tex bore covers. I found these after getting caught in a sudden snow storm during a backcountry elk hunt. Almost everyone ended up with rust in the barrel in less than 24 hours. Since then I've always had one and used the Bore Tex in snow, sleet and rain and inside of barrel stays dry and rust free. Can also shoot thru them...

Came in handy on this hunt in CO you can see it on the muzzle in the pic

Attachments

• IMAG0578.jpg
    IMAG0578.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:

Superdoo

WKR
I just got one of these adapters to mount my binos on the tripod.
It works great! $17.00

as.ks.ak

WKR
I’m so excited for this tip about honey packets. Going to make it possible to make a backcountry old fashioned every evening.

A guy can make backcountry hot toddy’s pretty easy with them as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

txtransplant

Lil-Rokslider
x2 ont he Wrangler stretch pants,
also these shirts as a base layer
@Silveroddo are these vapor shirts cool touch? They look sort of like Columbia fishing shirts - I would think they would make you colder, no?

I started wearing them in Hawaii for the sun protection and just started wearing them as shirts because they're comfortable and the moisture wicking/breathability. They wear cool, and the moisture wicking is a thing, they breath and dry out pretty well. Lol, I never put a lot of thought into the when and why I used them, but its more of a summer early/mid fall thing.
I found this article on cool touch fabrics, doesn't look like this fabric is at the top of the scale but it gives a guy some perspective. https://theconversation.com/cool-to...hot-days-but-which-materials-work-best-144475

SwissGear synthetic fill puffy from Walmart...~$20
I wear one plus a shell at -20F while splitting wood all winter long in Alaska.
I have one of these jackets and I have grown quite fond of it. I was fishing the White River a few months ago and the temps were rather cold. I used this as a mid layer under my parka and it kept me rather toasty.
I also have a pair of the Swiss Tech lightweight hiking pants in OD green and have been quite pleased with them.
My tent, but my hunting buddy’s brilliant idea...we cut and capped a piece of irrigation PVC to fit over the tipi’s pole and use it as a ‘clothesline’ for drying gear out overnight. We drilled holes for pegboard hooks to hang gear from.

Almost no weight and it doesn’t cause ‘wall-sag, from the weight of clothes.

a9490e02d7c8a0d33c3ce0ccd5f3eb39.jpg

2c7b4382566be63d9853d613558f6c4b.jpg

b5c943d1ce5da2623bdf812c7dd871c4.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ingenious idea!!
I’ll be making one of these for my my Minipeak XL!

Thanks for the other tips and ideas folks!
This is an awesome thread!