Cheap Stuff that Works

jfox

FNG
Found a pair of the wrangler pants at goodwill that I turned into cutoffs before seeing this amazing thread. They make great shorts too!

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Also I’d so much rather read about how y’all wrap bic lighters in electrical tape and start fires with chapstick than which Sitka camo pattern is in this season. Basically thank you for all the recs
Yes, I also like threads on actually using your gear and skills. Btw, not all brands of lip balm burn the same🙂

RayG

FNG

Rambler - the only small victorinox where the knife is on the opposite side of the keyring.

Just spent the last few days off and on reading through this entire thread and adding stuff to an amazon cart. Going on my first elk hunt this october for first rifle in CO. This thread has been awesome!

EastMT

WKR
I just found this sharpener, I like a steel vs a pull through for my Victorinox knives, 1.7oz not bad

5284605b6d8d620abeaa3a3cee2d8cb1.jpg

321f8fc65345fd3a0ef1dadc6874096a.jpg

NYlions

FNG
If you're referring to blue shop towels, I only get one wipe per day with that stuff before abrasion begins to occur. However, I do always have a couple in my pocket for a snot rag or emergency TP...ever since the fateful day I came back to camp with 1.75 sleeves on my shirt.
Nothing worse than squatting in a downpour with your rain gear around your ankles trying to evaluate cost vs value of every item of clothing you're wearing as TP.
I have been in that exact situation. Except it took all of both sleeves. I might even still have that shirt rocking sleeveless with a story behind it! 😉

Voyageur

WKR

Sherman

WKR

sargent

WKR
Here's my contribution. These pillows worked great on a family hiking trip, even with the kid's abusing them and jumping on them. They weigh 1.5 ounces a piece (1 ounce lighter than my sea to summit aeros) and are cheap.
I've had a bunch of cheap backpacking pillows and they all leaked almost immediately. These have a different valve (like a beach ball) and we didn't have a single leak in five pillows on a three day hike.

Big rubber bands off of broccoli, asparagus, etc. My grandpa always saved these when I was growing up. I started doing it too. Use them as strap keepers, hold spare batteries together, keep my toiletries in one clump.
I use them on my box calls. The purple ones.
I’ll end up tossing a few in my pack now!

Here is a good one, THESE WORK GREAT! especially for a bag like Stone glacier that has a ton of straps.
Just ordered a set for my pack! Thanks!

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
It upsets me when companies cheap-out and don't put on a pocket clip with the extra fold which allows for slipping it onto a baseball cap!

I dislike the extra fold, I feel they can easily catch a seatbelt or something and pull it out of my pocket.

lawndart

FNG
Great thread- following
This looks amazing at that price. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
I learned it from my ex-girlfriend's father. He would heat an entire RMEF canvas wall tent with it. Was literally the craziest thing I ever saw. It blew my mind. I have kept an old small Folgers can filled with toilet paper and a small bottle of alcohol in my pack ever since.

Seriously, it generates an insane amount of heat...
Wow great tip- thanks for sharing