Cheap Stuff that Works

Noodlestheshaman

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. This is all I use to skin, quarter and debone deer and hogs.
Yes, Vic 5" curved Fibrox boning knife is an excellent knife. About $28 right now. I had a guy on BushCraftUSA build a sheath for mine so I could use it in the field. I keep it in my pack and reserve it for gutting/skinning/quartering/boning animals for packing out. I specified a nickel belt clip instead of a loop, so I could clip it to my pack strap, a nearby branch, or my belt. Also, it has a fold down top that snaps, since I wanted the knife to fit somewhat lose in the sheath but didn't want it to fall out in my pack. I can open it one handed and pull out the knife without torquing the sheath on whatever I clip it to.

Vic Boning Knife.jpg

F. Dick 6" Boning Knife is also excellent. I paid $22 for mine two years ago. They seem to be selling for about $30 now.

Dick Boning Knife 6 Inch.jpg

Last edited:

EastMT

WKR
Yes, Vic 5" curved Fibrox boning knife is an excellent knife. About $28 right now. I had a guy on BushCraftUSA build me a sheath for this mine so I could use it in the field. I keep it in my pack and reserve it for gutting/skinning/quartering/boning animals for packing out. I specified a nickel belt clip instead of a loop, so I could clip it to my pack, a nearby branch, or my belt. Also, it has a fold down top that snaps, since I wanted the knife to fit somewhat lose in the sheath but didn't want it to fall out in my pack. I can open it and pull out the knife without torquing the sheath on whatever I clip it to.

View attachment 361521

F. Dick 6" Boning Knife is also excellent. I paid $22 for mine two years ago. They seem to be selling for about $30 now.

View attachment 361520

Don’t forget the 4” rabbit knife as well. I’ve really come to love this one for packing vs the sheep skinner, 5-6” boning. I have probably 20 Vickies from the 10” breaking down to the paring knife, birds beak, etc. but this 4” rabbit knife is the bees knees
572d61e6d0e7fc6135b4d57800738bd6.jpg

bigbuckdj

WKR
Yes, Vic 5" curved Fibrox boning knife is an excellent knife. About $28 right now. I had a guy on BushCraftUSA build me a sheath for this mine so I could use it in the field. I keep it in my pack and reserve it for gutting/skinning/quartering/boning animals for packing out. I specified a nickel belt clip instead of a loop, so I could clip it to my pack, a nearby branch, or my belt. Also, it has a fold down top that snaps, since I wanted the knife to fit somewhat lose in the sheath but didn't want it to fall out in my pack. I can open it and pull out the knife without torquing the sheath on whatever I clip it to.

View attachment 361521

View attachment 361520

Man I need that sheath, my only knock on that knife is that it doesn’t work with any sheath I have and I can’t find any good options online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCohHTX

FNG
This was a great thread to look through. Found a whole bunch of great ideas.
Here's one for a DIY ranger band.
You cut up an old bicycle inner tube with scissors and you can make the bands as thin or thick as you want. They're pretty durable. I got a bunch of chew tins held shut with them that have my fat wood, matches, and other miscellaneous things in them.
Cut up inner tube also makes a great fire starter.

Noodlestheshaman

Lil-Rokslider
If you don’t want to buy any kind of fire starter...get a paper shredder and shred your Amazon packages/let air dry for a day or so then use straight up or soaked in p.jelly. Works great!!! My lady got one for our worm bin and I thought hmmmmmm I see potential

Superdoo

WKR
Man I need that sheath, my only knock on that knife is that it doesn’t work with any sheath I have and I can’t find any good options online.

I made my own out of an ice cream bucket lid. I traced a rough outline of the blade and mirrored it. Then I heated it up in the toaster oven, creased it along the center line and repeated heating it while adding weight to get the crease to hold.
Then I trimmed it down with scissors until it was right and wrapped the plastic in red electrical tape so it doesn't get lost.
It looks and works great! Holds tight enough that I don't worry about it sliding off at all. To clean it I just soaked in hot water with dawn.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I'll drop this here. I started carrying a AA flashlight many years ago and find it to be used daily. I've tried several more expensive ones but this is brighter than many of them, and has different output levels that save the battery.
The magnetic tailcap can be handy but I don't use it much.
EDC Small Flashlight,LUMINTOP Tool AA Flashlight with Rechargeable 14500 920mAh Battery and Magnetic Tail, IPX-8 Torch Super Bright 650LM, Waterproof Flashlight for Camping, Hiking and Dog Walking https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z3H3WZ...abc_VS4WD56Z5CVG8TGM89NF?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

EastMT

WKR

It’s also really easy to build a kydex press with the cheap foam garage mats, some wood and C clamps. A little Rivet kit and you are rolling. It’s not bad at all, I made some up for my packable ones

recon493

FNG
This was a great thread to look through. Found a whole bunch of great ideas.
Here's one for a DIY ranger band.
You cut up an old bicycle inner tube with scissors and you can make the bands as thin or thick as you want. They're pretty durable. I got a bunch of chew tins held shut with them that have my fat wood, matches, and other miscellaneous things in them.
I concur. I have a few cat food can stoves and already found one item from amazon that beats them, thanks to this thread. I am now keeping all household items instead of throwing them away. In as non horder fashion as possible.

WyoKid

WKR
I also use old inner tubes to make elastic bands. For scope covers, I use old inner tubes from a car tire. Fold in half and cut it out like an H but keep the horizontal thick enough to cover the scope lens. When I lose them in the field, I don't worry about it since I can make more.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
The midway version of that 1/4 zip is great, too. Elk Fork brand. And they go on sale for $20 or so around this time of the year. I have three of the 1/4 zip and one hoodie which get worn all the time.