Cheap Stuff that Works

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
Based off advice on here I picked up the Swazi hoodie. Thing is awesome!
How is the sleeve length? Reason I ask is that I usually take a tall size to account for my long arms. Their size chart doesn't indicate sleeve length. Thx

These work boots are stupid good for the money ($30). Super lightweight, durable, comfortable, water shedding and stay clean and sharp looking:

These coolers are as good as Yeti in my basic observational experience, a fraction of the cost, available in different sizes:

+1 for Wrangler outdoors pants, wear them 365-days

Dollar store—always check there first when putting together pre-hunt shop. They even carry many name brand supplies costing 2-3x elsewhere. Fun to walk the store and think what can be used as survival gear, like a $1 shower curtain becoming a waterproof minimalist backpacking tarp, etc..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gettincloser

Lil-Rokslider
So this is crazy coincidence, I lost my bugle tube in 2021 in some thick brush. I met my hunting buddy at a agreed to spot about 4 hours later . So as we met at this edge of a NF fence line I told him I had lost my bugle tube. I was so disappointed. So we are standing there with our binoculars and I kick something at my feet in the mud. I kicked at it and it looks like some kind of plastic. So I start pulling it out and damned if it is not a corrugated black plastic old bugle tube with old rotted camo fabric. Here I lost one and then found one within an a few hours of losing mine, in the middle of the mountains of Colorado! So I washed it out and added a 20 oz. Gatorade bottle back in camp to add some volume and I subsequently called in three bulls in the next two days with the damn thing. Keep that Gatorade empty, you never know!!!
Makes you wonder if elk like a certain flavor of Gatorade... might require further research.

So this is crazy coincidence, I lost my bugle tube in 2021 in some thick brush. I met my hunting buddy at a agreed to spot about 4 hours later . So as we met at this edge of a NF fence line I told him I had lost my bugle tube. I was so disappointed. So we are standing there with our binoculars and I kick something at my feet in the mud. I kicked at it and it looks like some kind of plastic. So I start pulling it out and damned if it is not a corrugated black plastic old bugle tube with old rotted camo fabric. Here I lost one and then found one within an a few hours of losing mine, in the middle of the mountains of Colorado! So I washed it out and added a 20 oz. Gatorade bottle back in camp to add some volume and I subsequently called in three bulls in the next two days with the damn thing. Keep that Gatorade empty, you never know!!!

That's divine, right there.

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
I ordered 1 pair of the Wrangler outdoor cargo pants based on this thread. First time wearing them today.

I think I'm going to buy a few more pairs of these. They feel like they'd do great for the upcoming PRS season too.

Topo Chico 20oz plastic bottles are almost indestructible.

I've got several full of salt water that I've used as ice packs for years.

Leroy91

FNG
View attachment 219516View attachment 219517

I'm sure most of you do some form of all this, I'm getting ready for a bear hunt and thought I'd share some stuff that I use.

#1 - gatorade bottle filled with water and frozen. I add a small loop of paracord so I can carry 5-6 in each hand to the cooler. I also have several sizes ranging from water bottles to milk jugs and I also fill them with drinkable water bc you never know.

#2 - Cheap scalpel and blades off eBay. I haven't used these yet but I love my havalon and just trying something different. Great cheap, lightweight, replaceable blade alternative.

#3 - Dip cans make great carriers for fire starter. I use petroleum jelly soaked cotton balls
I paid $10 for my scalpel handle. Fits the havalon blades perfectly.

Leroy91

FNG
Man I need that sheath, my only knock on that knife is that it doesn’t work with any sheath I have and I can’t find any good options online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should be able to easily make one if you heat up some thin PVC pipe or kydex, especially if it is not to belt carry, but simply protect you blade/pack while stored in your pack.

twall13

WKR
Has anyone tried DQ long spoons for pouch meals?
I tried them, they didn't work too well for me. I had my trusty long handle titanium spoon and brought two DQ spoons for my kids. By the end of a 3 day backpacking trip we were all sharing my spoon cause the other two had broken. Sure, I'd be more careful than my kids but it didn't inspire a ton of confidence for me to rely on them as my only option.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Delta21

FNG
How is the sleeve length? Reason I ask is that I usually take a tall size to account for my long arms. Their size chart doesn't indicate sleeve length. Thx
I’m usually in same boat. I’m 6’4. Got the xl and fits good. Havnt washed yet, probably air dry to be safe