Cheap Stuff that Works

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
Finally saw those Wrangler pants at my local WalMart. $22. But I needed less waist and more leg. Probably picked over pretty well.

The medical grade super glue that comes in a bottle with a brush. Second Skin is one name brand I believe, liquid bandage is the generic term.

I will apply it to problem areas of my feet before the leukotape (weird feet shape makes perfect boot fit for me almost impossible). I've also used it after blisters pop and the skin shears off. Burns a bit, but it seems to help and make it less painful to keep moving. It does have a sharp odor that seems to linger though.

jakeuac

FNG
Not sure if it’s been mentioned yet but love the ground sheet Seek Outside sells over a piece of tyvek. Only $12ish, makes a lot less noise and has a lot more grip to it so it’s a lot harder to slide off of
have a link to the tarp?

Jrok

FNG
Not everything should cost an arm and a leg. Post any inexpensive stuff you’d recommend that just flat works.

I’ll start with a Mora 711. ~4.5 oz with sheath, easy to sharpen (and resharpen in field), and the textured rubberized grip is fantastic. Easy to grip and your hand doesn’t tire after several hours of boning.

$15

Mora 711 Carbon Steel 4 Inch

228ccc3d794989a4daff06c8af9b3ead.jpg

Heavy duty window shrink wrap - makes a great meat tarp or even a groundsheet. With some duct tape you could probably rig an emergency shelter.

6 oz for a 5’ x 10’ sheet, can be cut to size.

$7.94

7a49c143892f0f40c412fc01231edfd6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Love this idea

Dunndm

WKR
A lot of military surplus stores/ websites sell them. Mickey mouse boots are black and are rated to -20. Bunny boots are white and rated to -50.

I still don’t see anything for “cheap” on the Mickey Mouse boots. Everything I see is 200+

Micmac

FNG
Why salt? Sorry, I’ve always sucked at chemistry.

NaCl in water ionizes I to Na+ and Cl- ions. These ions perturb the crystal lattice when ice crystals begin to form, meaning ice water freezes at much lower temperatures depending on salt concentration.

Ice water is 0 degrees centigrade. A salt/ice slurry can reach -30 degrees centigrade. Thus your ice will last much longer and be much colder

As an aside, do not use this principal to make ice packs for icing injuries. It will damage you tissue rather quickly

Ajax2744

FNG
I still don’t see anything for “cheap” on the Mickey Mouse boots. Everything I see is 200+

I went to my local mil surp store last weekend and they had bunny boots for $60 and Mickey Mouse boots for $40. So I’ll make sure to buy a couple pairs before winter so I don’t have to worry about it for a good long while.

NaCl in water ionizes I to Na+ and Cl- ions. These ions perturb the crystal lattice when ice crystals begin to form, meaning ice water freezes at much lower temperatures depending on salt concentration.

Ice water is 0 degrees centigrade. A salt/ice slurry can reach -30 degrees centigrade. Thus your ice will last much longer and be much colder

As an aside, do not use this principal to make ice packs for icing injuries. It will damage you tissue rather quickly

This is not 100% correct. The salt water ice doesnt get colder. If your freezer is at -6, all the ice in there will be -6. However, the salt water ice melts sooner or faster. I am no chemist but did see a few guys debating this on another forum. The chemists agreed there was no real advantage to using the salt water ice in milk jugs for a meat cooler but in a cooler of beer, it would get your beer colder due to surface contact with the cans but not necessarily last longer. The disadvantages of using salt water for ice is cost (you need about 2# of salt per jug) and you can’t drink the salt water when it thaws.

go_deep

WKR
Bought a pair of Wrangler pants too. Only wore them a few times, but I like them so far!

This is not 100% correct. The salt water ice doesnt get colder. If your freezer is at -6, all the ice in there will be -6. However, the salt water ice melts sooner or faster. I am no chemist but did see a few guys debating this on another forum. The chemists agreed there was no real advantage to using the salt water ice in milk jugs for a meat cooler but in a cooler of beer, it would get your beer colder due to surface contact with the cans but not necessarily last longer. The disadvantages of using salt water for ice is cost (you need about 2# of salt per jug) and you can’t drink the salt water when it thaws.

I am no chemist, but we have specifically tested this on our last 8 hunts after reading about it a few years back.

We have had two identical coolers, one with milk jugs + salt + water and one with just milk jugs + water. Subject to the same environmental factors and conditions obviously.

There has been zero discernible difference in performance or longevity between the two, at least for us. However, the non-salt jugs have the distinct advantage of being drinkable should shit hit the fan and you run out of H2O, as you said, and we utilized that a few hunts back.

Gwchem

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a chemist, and making saltwater ice blocks doesn't make sense.

The main issue with your coolers is heat entering the cooler due to radiation. This is accelerated by poor insulation, or opening the top (actually both similar effects). You have the best chance of maintaining temperature if you start with a very cold set of ice and meat, and insulate the cooler as best you can. You can add blankets, foam, whatever, to the outside, top and bottom of your cooler to slow the heat transfer. But physics basically boils it down to the internal average temperature, the external average temperature, and the quality of the insulation between the two.

hawkman71

Lil-Rokslider
When I got into metal detecting, it prompted me to find a way to use rechargeable batteries for my detectors (AA and 9V) as well as my headlamps and torches for hunting. This thing has been great. I have rechargeable batteries for AAA, AA, and 9V. This unit will charge them all, eight at a time. They don't have to be paired - a single AAA can be charged alongside seven AA batts. Only one 9V at a time, however.

Other brands and designs out there as well. Bonai makes a 16+1 for $45 on Amazon.

This one is $21.95

8+1 Battery Charger on Amazon (AAA, AA, 9V)

svivian

WKR
Apologies if this was already mentioned, but this gem is a game changer for preventing rifle sling slip:

Thank you... add this to the list of things i wish i thought of