Cheap tipi

Thoughts on this shelter? Looks a little short, which may cause the walls to be too shallow for snow.

US $105 30%OFF | 3-4 Person Ultralight Outdoor Camping Teepee 20D Silnylon Pyramid Tent Large Rodless Tent Backpacking Hiking Tents
6329c524098cae1a4a28dd5f7f30ec7a.jpg

It seems like a good tent not sure about ordering from Aliexpress though .I have never ordered from them before .

Sent from my LGL158VL using Tapatalk

JFKinYK

Lil-Rokslider
It looks like the “stove jack” is a 12 inch square chunk removed from the tent?

Cheap tipi=cheap materials. Go with a tipi that will last. During a storm would you rather be in that or a Kifaru/SO? It’s unsafe for these companies to have such cheap tipis because you know there is a reason they’re so cheap. Something to think about.

Cheap tipi=cheap materials. Go with a tipi that will last. During a storm would you rather be in that or a Kifaru/SO? It’s unsafe for these companies to have such cheap tipis because you know there is a reason they’re so cheap. Something to think about.

This....Buddy just brought a Walmart tent on a raft trip. Got flattened in 35 to 40 mph winds. Try to find a used Golite if you need to save money.

Floorguy

WKR
I don't know, the lanshan 2 seems to have a pretty positive following with ultralighters and through-hikers.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

OP
D
Well guys, I ordered this cheap tipi from China about 3 weeks ago. It was delivered the other day. I'm quite impressed with it. Good seam taping on all sewing. Quality stitching everywhere. The included center pole is sturdy.

Body with guylines and tensioners and stuffsack - 1.58lb
15 Stakes with sack - .44lb
Center pole - .82lb

Total - 2.84lb

Center pole is 63" and the diameter of the tipi is about 11.5 feet. Looks like it could do 3-4 without a stove and probably 2 with.

It hasn't seen any real weather yet but I have reason to doubt it.

Next step is finding a stove jack and stove.
b1df609f28f22a96d8d32110a99f61e2.jpg
a1bb4ce18b35749bdf4d033c35153757.jpg

OP
D

JRMiller

WKR
I was debating trying that or similar tipi on Aliexp but i just dont use Alixp anymore.
For one, about 1/3 of my shipments never arrive and you can file for but not receive a refund for min 60 days.
And one item its been over 90 days and still have never seen my refund.
and my opinion , especially now, is we shouldnt be buying anything from china anymore if we can help it...

OP
D
I've done about 8-10 nights in it now, including a night with significant snowfall and all is well. I've had no issues whatsoever. There is a stove jack that velcros in available on AliExpress that I picked up a few months ago but I haven't decided on a stove yet.

CO-AJ

WKR
I don't know, I believe there is a reason for price. While you may have luck with yours others may have horror stories. There are numerous posts on Rokslide where a discounted product worked for one and failed for one, I prefer to spend the extra $$ and read only rave reviews. Thus, I will hunker down under a SO DCF Cimarron this season and never worry. Best of luck with your tipi.

This makes me so sad, there are a lot of American companies that make products like this, why buy a cheap Chinese “knock-off”?

Superdoo

WKR
Hard to beat a an SO Silex for the price and piece of mind. Plus you don’t have to smell your buddies farts or have them snoring a foot away.... $0.02

NUGGET

WKR
I avoid the name brand tipis for many reasons One shouldn’t frown upon someone that is looking for a more affordable option. Just because they are cheaper and not name brand doesn’t mean they are not great shelters. Probably means they are not paying Donnie Vincent 40000 a year like kifaru does...

I’m happy with my cheap tipis. They work just fine in Alaska, will work just about anywhere I plan to go.